The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2021, 01:07 AM   #1
Jagamov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex:2 Tudor: 3
Need advice regarding my Submariner

I know I'm going to get some grief for this, but I'm looking for some honest advice.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my stuff and I like to try and keep things nice.

I have a 14060M 2-Line Submariner that I bought new and wore fairly regularly at the time. Job situation not long after dictated I leave it at home most of the time so as to not damage it or beat it up, but worn on the weekends.

Over time I have acquired a few other watches that I wear regularly, an Omega PO, a Tudor GMT, and a TAG Link Chrono (my oldest and daily beater).

The problem I'm having is that the value of my 14060M has shot up so much, that I find myself "afraid" to wear it...not wanting anything to happen to it.

I know this is irrational behavior, but I can't overcome it. Is there anyone else out there with this issue? Did you just say "screw it" and start wearing it? If you have other watches, do you rotate them out too?

Thanks everyone....(hopefully this is better than an availability/grey dealer thread)...LOL
Jagamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:10 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I wear every watch I own and do not pay attention to what someone somewhere might pay for it. I gave my 14060M to my son three years ago.

If you are afraid to wear it, then the watch owns you.

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:12 AM   #3
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Yes, I know what you mean. At every point in this collection 'journey', I had my piece that sits at the top of the tree. This used to be my Omega PO, then my Exp II, then my no date sub and is currently my BLNR. I used to baby these pieces like mad and only really felt comfortable wearing them at night while sat on the sofa.

I too like to keep things nice and had a real fear about damaging my watches. I firmly believe this is all down to when I was around 10 years old and saved for ages to buy my first watch - a digital Casio. I went round a friend’s house that day to show off my new watch and we went in the garden to play football, after about ten minutes I made a diving save, not thinking at all about my new watch and I can still remember the feeling I had when I looked at my brand new watch which now had a cracked screen and was no longer working...

The penny finally dropped for me when I popped into my local city and spent some time at a local grey dealer and he brought out all his vintage Subs, SD's and the like. Some of these watches were nearly 40 years old and still looked great. I thought to myself - in 40 years time when my sub is the same age as these pieces I will be nearly 80, I made a commitment to myself on that day that I will wear and enjoy all of my watches without fear of damage. Really, what is the worse that can happen? You'd be very unlucky to damage a watch beyond repair, and any minor ding or scratch will easily polish out, its what these items are designed for.

Sorry for the essay, but thought it worth mentioning.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:13 AM   #4
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagamov View Post
I know I'm going to get some grief for this, but I'm looking for some honest advice.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my stuff and I like to try and keep things nice.

I have a 14060M 2-Line Submariner that I bought new and wore fairly regularly at the time. Job situation not long after dictated I leave it at home most of the time so as to not damage it or beat it up, but worn on the weekends.

Over time I have acquired a few other watches that I wear regularly, an Omega PO, a Tudor GMT, and a TAG Link Chrono (my oldest and daily beater).

The problem I'm having is that the value of my 14060M has shot up so much, that I find myself "afraid" to wear it...not wanting anything to happen to it.

I know this is irrational behavior, but I can't overcome it. Is there anyone else out there with this issue? Did you just say "screw it" and start wearing it? If you have other watches, do you rotate them out too?

Thanks everyone....(hopefully this is better than an availability/grey dealer thread)...LOL
My son asked me how I keep my watches looking so good. The answer is multiple watches that I rotate often and I’m very careful. That’s how I enjoy them. You can do the same but better wear it and enjoy it because the next guy will enjoy it more than you!!
Old 12 June 2021, 01:14 AM   #5
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Only you know your financial situation, but honestly you already have the watch so wear it. Are you worried about resale value? I have a 4 line 14060M it was my first Rolex and I wore it day and night for 4 years, it still looks great. They are tough watches, tougher than most. I suggest you enjoy it otherwise its pointless owning it. If you need to due to your OCD, force yourself to wear it at least on weekends.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:16 AM   #6
sj24k
"TRF" Member

i'm pretty OCD too and hate dings, scratches, and dirty watches. so i feel some of your pain. that being said, i decided that when it came to my watches, i was just gonna enjoy them and not worry. i'm pretty lucky to have a relatively nice collection, so i consider my sub (114060) to be my "beater." I do have some other relatively inexpensive watches that I don't care as much about, and I might put one on if i'm doing something where the risk of damage is super high (working with certain tools or on certain projects or certain locations) but otherwise, i say just enjoy the hell out of 'em all. they're just watches and that's what they're meant for.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:23 AM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

There comes a time when the watch doesn’t equate the value to you personally. It’s a SD Sub and if the current value is past your comfort zone to relax and enjoy the watch, you should sell it on. It’s just a watch in the end.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:27 AM   #8
Mifune
Banned

we're all pretty much OCD about our pieces... I think the counter view and unique philosophy is that you wear it and be damned.

I say, wear it... but treat it carefully like it is worth 10-12k
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:38 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Well thats the main problem with todays Rolex owners they see there watches as nothing more than ££££$$$$€€€€ object things. Once many years ago Rolex watches were bought to be worn and enjoyed. I wear my Daytona 6263 regular as when I wear it reminds me of my Father. And I wear all my Rolex watches, as I wear the watch and not the perceived value.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:40 AM   #10
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well thats the made problem with todays Rolex owners they see there watches as nothing more than ££££$$$$€€€€ object things. Once many years ago Rolex watches were bought to be worn and enjoyed. I wear my Daytona 6263 as when I wear it reminds me of my Father. And I wear all my Rolex watches, as I wear the watch and not the perceived value.
You need some new material Padi, beginning to sound like a broken record me old mate...
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:42 AM   #11
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Just sell it. Problem solved. I don't keep things that stress me out.
Old 12 June 2021, 01:46 AM   #12
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Um just use your discretion when you wear it and wear it carefully..
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:49 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .

. . .
Yes, it is irrational.

People all around you are wearing watches worth more than your Sub, and have been for decades.
Old 12 June 2021, 01:50 AM   #14
Jagamov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
If you are afraid to wear it, then the watch owns you.
You are not wrong....trying to get past that. Thanks for saying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Sorry for the essay, but thought it worth mentioning.
Thank you for the essay. It hit close to home for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Only you know your financial situation, but honestly you already have the watch so wear it. Are you worried about resale value?.
Not at all. In fact, I would never sell it as it was something I wanted ever since I was a kid (huge Bond fan). It's all mental...like even though I'll never sell it, the value of it makes me want to hide it away in the safe. I know this is dumb and I should wear the crap out of it...mental hurdle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
I say, wear it... but treat it carefully like it is worth 10-12k
LOL...this describes my problem exactly. I want to wear it, but I want to treat it like it cost $3300 (which it did)...that's the mental hurdle I need to overcome.

Want to hear the worst part....The TAG Link is the only watch I don't mind wearing as a beater, because, while I like it, I'd sell it right now if someone wanted it. My other watches all mean something or are "cool" and that makes me not want to wear them as much. The logic is ridiculous, i know.
Old 12 June 2021, 01:53 AM   #15
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I totally relate to this. I have a platinum Daytona that’s almost doubled in price. Advice is either sell it - or just wear it occasionally - as I do. Remember everything can be refinished.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:55 AM   #16
Jagamov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Just sell it. Problem solved. I don't keep things that stress me out.
Normally I would agree, but I'm not selling this one. But y'all are helping me, and I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Yes, it is irrational.

People all around you are wearing watches worth more than your Sub, and have been for decades.
Totally agree...LOL...But thanks...these replies are helping.
Old 12 June 2021, 01:57 AM   #17
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

IT CAN BE FIXED! They are designed to be used and the a service and a light polish will make it new again. Enjoy and go create some memories with it.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 01:58 AM   #18
Jagamov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I totally relate to this. I have a platinum Daytona that’s almost doubled in price. Advice is either sell it - or just wear it occasionally - as I do. Remember everything can be refinished.
Thanks! I never plan to sell it only because it is my favorite watch, and if I did, I'd want another one immediately...and if I bought another one, the situation would be worse as I'd now have a $9k watch instead of a $3300 watch...I'd REALLY never wear it...LOL
Old 12 June 2021, 02:00 AM   #19
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Thanks! I never plan to sell it only because it is my favorite watch, and if I did, I'd want another one immediately...and if I bought another one, the situation would be worse as I'd now have a $9k watch instead of a $3300 watch...I'd REALLY never wear it...LOL
Yeah to be honest as far as Rolex goes that’s about as cheap as they come these days so you will have to get wearing something of that value no matter what if you want to wear Rolex.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:05 AM   #20
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Many years ago I bought an IWC Big Pilot, which at the time was roughly double the price of my next most expensive watch, and I quickly found I just wasn't comfortable having that amount of money on my wrist.... so it effectively became a safe queen, and I ended up selling it within a couple of months.

After that I seemed to have an unwritten £10k threshold - anything under £10k I was happy to wear, but once a watch was into 5 figures I started to feel the same as I did about the Big Pilot, so I always kept my purchases below that limit. (I buy watches to wear, not to live in safes).

That threshold has LONG gone now, but I still think I would feel the same if I owned something worth over, say, £50k.

At the end of the day it's just a watch which, while you might LIKE it, you don't actually NEED it, so if it makes you feel uncomfortable to wear then just move it on down the road. Getting utility, wear and enjoyment out a watch is the most important thing to me, so once that stops it's time for it to go.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:05 AM   #21
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post

Congrats! Watches aren't normally supposed to double so I'd sell it
Old 12 June 2021, 02:06 AM   #22
ks58
Banned

How much is your watch worth if you were to try to sell? Obviously it’s not new. Explore what dealers would offer you for the watch and then make sure you’re attributing that value in your head. If you still don’t feel like wearing it because it makes you anxious, then sell and cash in. And buy something else you feel good about.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:07 AM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's a personal thing. I don't pamper my watches but I don't abuse them. If one of them takes a hard hit or goes wrong I will take it in for repair, because I don't like deep scratches or dents in the case. This will make my watches less valuable than some equivalent safe queens, but I buy mine to wear them.

All my Rolex watches are notionally worth more than I paid for them, some by a big margin. Sometimes I think about trading in a couple of the high potential profit ones for a PM (which I would also wear and not keep in cotton wool) but as things stand I enjoy wearing them too much.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:16 AM   #24
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I'm not afraid to wear mine but the increase in value certainly gives one pause for thought. I paid about 6K less than 3 years ago figuring I wouldn't lose much money if I didn't bond with it. (first nice watch of my life). It was practically unworn; didn't have a mark on it. Full set. It has a few marks now...

But now I figure no matter what happens to it I won't lose money on it. I didn't buy it as an investment. I bought it to enjoy. And I do, every day.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:20 AM   #25
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I bought an unworn 14060m two years ago and kept it in the safe until recently. Now I'm enjoying it. Mostly all Rolex go up in value, that's one reason some people buy them. I wouldn't suggest selling yours because your afraid to wear it unless your 100% sure of letting it go. You bought it new, just park it for awhile and don't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:21 AM   #26
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I just put it on my wrist and enjoy it every single day. A plane could fall out of the sky and crash on my head tomorrow.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:25 AM   #27
jets
"TRF" Member

Fear is the mind killer.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:26 AM   #28
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
"Wear 'em if ya Got 'em"

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 07:20 AM   #29
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
You need some new material Padi, beginning to sound like a broken record me old mate...
I agree!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 07:57 AM   #30
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

I pity those who leave their watches in the box/safe and never enjoy them.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote