The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2021, 05:59 PM   #1
Madison1
"TRF" Member

PM Value / Regrets / Bundle

I know it's a little taboo to talk about value on this forum but it's the last hurdle in my mind to buying a full RG Rootbeer. My question is three fold.

1. If I bought one and didn't gel with it, will I lose my shirt? I am 100% on-board with the buy what you like and don't worry about resale argument but given this is my first PM my worry is it may be too flashy. It's hard to get a feel for how a watch would wear daily when you only have a few mins to try one on at the AD.

2. Has anyone ever regretted the decision to purchase a PM piece? I read a lot about folks never going back to steel as the PM pieces are next level but wonder if anyone felt it was too loud.

3. On the admin side would you suggest a bundle with the AD or have this days passed us by?

Thank you.
Madison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 07:29 PM   #2
peterpl
Banned

I've never regretted buying a PM piece but these days you wont lose hardly anything or break even.

Its not the same as in the past. Things have changed for good. Very hard to lose your shirt on ANY Rolex these days.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 07:39 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison1 View Post
I know it's a little taboo to talk about value on this forum but it's the last hurdle in my mind to buying a full RG Rootbeer. My question is three fold.

1. If I bought one and didn't gel with it, will I lose my shirt? I am 100% on-board with the buy what you like and don't worry about resale argument but given this is my first PM my worry is it may be too flashy. It's hard to get a feel for how a watch would wear daily when you only have a few mins to try one on at the AD.

2. Has anyone ever regretted the decision to purchase a PM piece? I read a lot about folks never going back to steel as the PM pieces are next level but wonder if anyone felt it was too loud.

3. On the admin side would you suggest a bundle with the AD or have this days passed us by?

Thank you.
Like anything today the price is only what someone is willing to pay.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 08:48 PM   #4
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
I'm fairly confident you can sell that to DavidSW in about 5 mins if you don't love it with a very minimal to no loss.... as long as you have other more low key watches in your collection I think it would be nice to have an all gold stunner. I'd love to have one!

TUDOR: M79030-B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 08:51 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

One reason some people grow weary of a full gold piece is the weight compared to their other SS watches.

Another, albeit less common, reason for RG specifically is a skin reaction to the copper used to alloy it.

If weight and body chemistry are not factors, the final reason is they realize such a piece doesn’t fit their casual lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 09:38 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like PM watches and have owned most of the Rolex PM's over the years and have enjoyed them. The question that rises in my mind is will you enjoy them as much as multiple other pieces in SS. As a younger collector it was important to me to own PM watches as it conveyed the state of my collection and that I could afford them. In short, status. As I have gotten older that is less important and it has fallen into the been there and done that. I still own PM watches but the motivation behind them is much different. Contact a Trusted Seller and see what he would give you for a pre-owned GMT in RG. You have your answer based on what you pay. I would be more inclined to round out a collection with a BLRO, Daytona, Sky-Dweller, BLNR, DSSD JC, Hulk, all in SS than to put it all into the one PM piece. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 09:51 PM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I have never regretted buying a PM watch.

Have a look at somewhere like C24. That will give you a ball park range, probably a bit on the high side of what you could claw back if you just couldn't stand the watch. It sounds like that won't be a problem.

More generally speaking: if you like it and can afford it, buy it. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. If you buy it, insure it. If there is a doubt, whatever the reason and however irrational it may seem, there is no doubt. It will still be available next week, month, year, etc. if you need to ponder further on it.

I think this is most likely a case of offering congratulations on your PM CHNR. Owing the TT, it's obvious to me why you like it so much.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 09:56 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Traditionally PM watches don’t hold their value like their SS counterparts … now that appears to have gone out the window

As with anything, if you buy at the right price you won’t lose your shirt and if you buy from an AD you should be fine
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 10:11 PM   #9
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Exactly the reason I went White Gold. I can’t wear yellow or rose gold. Or two tones for that matter.

White gold is my favorite: not as heavy as Pt and under the radar like steel…
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 10:20 PM   #10
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison1 View Post

Thank you.
This is a good question, part of which relates too watches in general other parts to shiny stuff in general.

1. I love the look of gold on a watch, full PM is out of my budget but a TT watch would be nice. However, every TT piece I have tried on screams 'too flashy' and I stop and hand the watch back to the SA. I know I want a TT watch but for some reason I just cannot get past the 'gold is too flashy for me' issue so for the moment I am sticking with SS.

The closest I came was the TT GMT and a Seamaster of the two the Seamaster seemed to suit me better, why I don't know, perhaps there is less visible gold on display.

2. Retained value, well if I went with a TT GMT it holds it value very very very well, whereas the Seamaster is not in the same league, and this is something that applies to many brands. Outside of the Rolex world there are great PM or partial PM watches out there but you may take a hit financially if you decide to move it on at a later date.

With Rolex I think that you are fairly safe irrespective of what you buy, in almost all cases you will get at least your money back if you decide that the watch is not for you, such is the demand for a Rolex you would probably see a positive return should you decide that it needed to be moved on at some point in the future.

3. Bundles, well if you're prepared to splash a very large amount of money on a single item then I would say to the dealer I am looking to buy a PM **** and a SS **** but I want them at the same time, is this something that you can do, I am happy to put down a deposit on the PM watch to show that I am serious about this purchase. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 10:35 PM   #11
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Right now the demand is so high that you will not lose money. Buy it and if you love it then no worries but if not sell it and you will still have no worries.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 10:53 PM   #12
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I love my PM pieces and bought them to keep them, not for resale. If you are really worried about cost or resale value perhaps don’t go the PM route. And I don’t get the “PM’s are too heavy” argument at all.
Old 13 June 2021, 12:07 AM   #13
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
As said above if you buy a PM at the right price you probably won’t loose money if you decide to sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 12:27 AM   #14
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Reality is you won’t know if you truly love it until you own it and live with it for a while. If it speaks to you now and think it’s the one, then go for it.

Should be easy to sell or trade if for some reason it doesn’t work out. I bought the CHNR TT version at MSRP, wore it for a few years and sold it for a profit. Of course your mileage may vary.

I think it’s nice to have a collection that mixes SS and PM, simply for the sake of variety. Everyone’s different, but I like having choices depending on my mood, my outfit, and my plans for the day or night.

My PM pieces always feel a bit special because they feel weightier and remind me of certain accomplishments. I stick to white gold because it suits my tastes. Have tried RG and YG, but they’re really not for me. Which works out great, since so many others love them.

Like pretty much all posts eventually get to — buy what you love and don’t sweat the value or think about selling or trading. If those thoughts are taking up too much mind space, they might be trying to tell you something.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 01:19 AM   #15
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
PM is the best. I think you should give it a go.
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 01:27 AM   #16
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I got my Platona for 65 about two and a half years ago. I thought at best I would take a small loss if I didn't gel with it. Back then that was about what the secondary market ones were going for. It's now pretty close to doubled in value. Jump on the train while it's at the station; it might not be back for a long while.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 01:30 AM   #17
Alfa2109
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16500LN White Dial
I buy watches to wear, not to flip, but, like you, I do keep my eye on the market in case a piece I buy turns out not to be a regular wearer. I’ve two PM pieces, both Daytonas, and I both love them and have no intention of selling them. But I know that, if I had to do so in the event of some financial disaster, I’d have no problem recovering what I paid for them.

I considered purchasing the PM CHNR just a couple of weeks ago and could have picked one up at a bit less than what MSRP plus tax might have cost me retail. But I was able to see one in the wild, and it just didn’t resonate with me the way I thought it would. So I passed. But that’s not because I thought I’d not have been able to recover what I paid. My study of the market, which is never precise and changes daily, I realize, indicated that the trend for the value of the watch is that it has gone up pretty consistently over the past 24 months. And heaven knows the price of gold has.

I’ve learned to love the comment I’ve seen many times on TRF now: “Buy what you love; wear what you buy.” IMHO, though I understand others differ, watches are beautiful, finely-engineered and -manufactured instruments to be enjoyed, not commodities to be bought and sold for profit.

6329, 16528, 116506, 6175, 326934 (blue), 126719BLRO (meteorite), 1803 (coral stella), AP 26860ST (blue)
Alfa2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 01:34 AM   #18
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I bought the RG Rootbeer a couple of years ago. It was my first full RG watch and I had the same thoughts as you. I bought it and have no regrets. The watch has presence but the warmth of RG tones it down.

Recently this watch is doing relatively well on the secondary market so I don’t think you will lose too much if you sell it.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 01:48 AM   #19
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Bundles are long gone (for guaranteeing both together). It is buy the PM and hope they come through for you on the SS.

Everyone I know who has PM still owns SS, and disproportionately wear their SS over their PM. YMMV.
Old 13 June 2021, 02:47 AM   #20
J to the Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
I just got mine 2 weeks ago and I’m still stunned by it! I think the shade of the RG is a beautiful and much more understated color than YG. The RG offers a very nice middle ground between the white metals and YG.

I don’t think a bundle will be possible though, as I haven’t seen these in the case at ADs since 2019 (I actually had to wait close to 5 months for mine and it was the first one my AD got in 2021).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J to the Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 03:36 AM   #21
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
My only regret was not buying pm sooner.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 03:41 AM   #22
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Like anything today the price is only what someone is willing to pay.

Insert "throughout human history" to be more correct.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:16 AM   #23
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Your money is safe in Rolex.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:17 AM   #24
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I agree with that. Should have done it years ago
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:18 AM   #25
Madison1
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for your perspectives guys. I am very close now and will of course keep you posted. Having owned a JCDS in the past I think the weight will be ok. The price is a consideration but I have learnt that it only hurts the first time. I went from a tag to a Seadweller and then became comfortable at the £7-12k level. Ironically I am happy with a collection totalling the same if not more than adding a PM piece but at present my most expensive piece is the TT Rootbeer. Tripling that and expanding my budget feels a little nerve wracking but I do have the funds, along with a rainy day fund and pensions etc. taken care off. It's just pulling the trigger now.
Madison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:26 AM   #26
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
If you have the money and can afford what you want and want it more than anything, then why are you even thinking about value?
Old 13 June 2021, 05:34 AM   #27
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

if you buy a pm watch at msrp you should technically be fine in the long run (5-10 years). if you pay grey prices then it's a completely different story (long run again) and i personally don't know if i would unless it was for a select few impossible to get models. in both cases you should be able to get out with minimal losses (or even gains) in the short term if you change your mind

for sure the way to go in todays world is leveraging a bundle through an AD. i think buying PM at msrp now is the best time to buy it if you're on the fence. you'll essentially get to wear it for free whereas years ago when most PMs were 20% off you would take a bath on every sale, even if you bought discounted
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 09:46 AM   #28
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Bundles are long gone (for guaranteeing both together). It is buy the PM and hope they come through for you on the SS.
Really?
Anyone else have comments on this-at least as dealing with full PM not TT?
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 09:48 AM   #29
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

Go for the GOLD baby!
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 09:54 AM   #30
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
Really?
Anyone else have comments on this-at least as dealing with full PM not TT?
These days bundling doesnt work for majority of ADs. They sell each and every single full precious metal watch now.

They dont need to offer these offers anymore and my local ADs dont do it anymore either. THey said they dont need to these days.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote