The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2021, 11:42 PM   #1
vshasta21
"TRF" Member

1st Rolex - Chicago AD Help

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase my 1st Rolex and am interested in the SS Sub-Date. Any recommendations on where I should go or tips on how to obtain? I've stopped in a # of ADs in the Chicago-land area and never seem to get any traction. I realize these models are often reserved for long-time / VIP clients...was told maybe in 2-3 years. Fully appreciate the challenge of getting any SS model at the moment.
vshasta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 11:52 PM   #2
ks58
Banned

Welcome. It’ll be difficult to come by, but keep trying with the AD’s and I’m sure you’ll find one within the next year or two.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 02:10 AM   #3
vshasta21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks58 View Post
Welcome. It’ll be difficult to come by, but keep trying with the AD’s and I’m sure you’ll find one within the next year or two.
Thanks...yes patience will be key. Any other recommendations?
vshasta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 02:22 AM   #4
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshasta21 View Post
Thanks...yes patience will be key. Any other recommendations?
What recommendations are you looking for, a secret AD who will sell you one? Sorry, it's not gonna happen.

You have exactly 3 options:

1. Wait and continue to kiss every ADs butt for many years in the hopes you may one day be allowed to purchase one.
2. Buy grey and have it on your wrist in 2 days.
3. Forget about the watch and move on.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 02:28 AM   #5
bremersm
Banned

Just buy a preowned version with box and papers from a reputable seller.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 02:32 AM   #6
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
What recommendations are you looking for, a secret AD who will sell you one? Sorry, it's not gonna happen.

1. Wait and continue to kiss every ADs butt for many years in the hopes you may one day be allowed to purchase one.
This^

Go grey and be done with it.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 02:38 AM   #7
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post

Listen to whiskyrolex. There is nothing else to say and no other path. Suck up the premium, buy a NIB or mint one from a trusted reseller and you'll be enjoying it tomorrow.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 02:48 AM   #8
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I am new to Chicago, and bought my first Rolex in the area last month. I pounded the pavement from Indianapolis to Milwaukee, and my best luck was working with Charlie Dixon at Schwanke-Kasten in Milwaukee - nice local shop, friendly service, and they have a lot of Grand Seikos to look at to boot.

A number of the Chicago area dealers were either non responsive or friendly but noncommittal. Note: I have only been looking for 36MM watches, just steel Datejusts, OPs, 36MM Explorer, but still largely striking out. Message me directly if you want to compare notes.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 03:10 AM   #9
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
DavidSW
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 03:10 AM   #10
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I went the option of going through a secondary dealer for a stainless Sub. You can find ones that aren't horrifically over MSRP, especially if you are buying one in actual used condition and you're purchasing an 11 instead of 12. You'll still pay a bit over MSRP, but the premium isn't nearly as insane as the GMT. (If you specifically want an unworn 12, then you're going to pay quite a bit more.)

The other option is playing the AD game, but, as it sounds like you already know, ADs use stainless pieces strategically to increase their revenue, and unless you are making other large purchases from that AD, they have a strong incentive to intentionally not sell you the watch.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 03:20 AM   #11
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
As others have said, there’s no real secret trick that you aren’t aware of. It’s not impossible to obtain a stainless sub as your first piece, but the odds are long and largely come down to making a connection with the SA and being in the right place at the right time — which isn’t something you can plan for.

If you want to purchase a Sub from an AD, your better bet is to find an AD you like, make another purchase (preferably a slightly less in demand piece — maybe a TT DJ or something) and then request the Sub. I think you’d find your odds much better with some purchase history, even if you still end up waiting several months.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 03:52 AM   #12
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
As others have said, there’s no real secret trick that you aren’t aware of. It’s not impossible to obtain a stainless sub as your first piece, but the odds are long and largely come down to making a connection with the SA and being in the right place at the right time — which isn’t something you can plan for.

If you want to purchase a Sub from an AD, your better bet is to find an AD you like, make another purchase (preferably a slightly less in demand piece — maybe a TT DJ or something) and then request the Sub. I think you’d find your odds much better with some purchase history, even if you still end up waiting several months.
Yup...buy something you don't want (or need) to get on the non-existant 'list' for an in-demand piece. Stupid move for the purchaser, but great for the the AD.

Go grey and have your watch tomorrow.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 04:52 AM   #13
Slurve30
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Even harder here in Chicago now that we recently lost an AD!
Slurve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:08 AM   #14
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Icon6

Time is money and you could be hit by a bus tomorrow - YOLO

Go grey and forget the AD "games" as you most likely have better things to do.
LA_LEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:44 AM   #15
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurve30 View Post
What was lost? The one over on Halsted? Can’t recall the name… Haven’t been in that mall in a while, did it close or just lose franchise?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:52 AM   #16
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Buy from a trusted seller here on TRF
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 05:55 AM   #17
Slurve30
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
What was lost? The one over on Halsted? Can’t recall the name… Haven’t been in that mall in a while, did it close or just lose franchise?
Yes, James & Sons on Halsted is no longer an AD. The Rolex sign out front has been removed, and they don't show up as an AD on the Rolex website.

However, it seems their suburban locations still sell Rolex though.
Slurve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 06:00 AM   #18
Alfa2109
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16500LN White Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
I am new to Chicago, and bought my first Rolex in the area last month. I pounded the pavement from Indianapolis to Milwaukee, and my best luck was working with Charlie Dixon at Schwanke-Kasten in Milwaukee - nice local shop, friendly service, and they have a lot of Grand Seikos to look at to boot.

A number of the Chicago area dealers were either non responsive or friendly but noncommittal. Note: I have only been looking for 36MM watches, just steel Datejusts, OPs, 36MM Explorer, but still largely striking out. Message me directly if you want to compare notes.
Schwanke-Kasten is my AD, and Charlie is my SA. I wholeheartedly second SoylentGreenChi's recommendation. Charlie is a traight shooter, no gamesmanship, helpful, gracious. (He's also the son of the owner.) And S-K is an old/established, family-owned shop and Rolex dealership.

6329, 16528, 116506, 6175, 326934 (blue), 126719BLRO (meteorite), 1803 (coral stella), AP 26860ST (blue)
Alfa2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 06:34 AM   #19
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Buy a 16610 from a trusted seller on this forum.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 06:38 AM   #20
Stealthdriver
"TRF" Member

My AD has a used/vintage spot. Currently they have approx 5 black Submariners (date, no date, and cyclops) in there all from the last 20 years. They run around $9-$10k depending on model. If you don't mind older, maybe the Chicago ones have a similar area that isn't too overpriced.
Stealthdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 07:27 AM   #21
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Same here. I would love an explorer or a Submariner date too. It seem impossible. How do you build a relationship if there is nothing to buy? It is so frustrating. I could easily buy grey market but they are so much more expensive, it doesn't make sense.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 07:40 AM   #22
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase my 1st Rolex and am interested in the SS Sub-Date. Any recommendations on where I should go or tips on how to obtain? I've stopped in a # of ADs in the Chicago-land area and never seem to get any traction. I realize these models are often reserved for long-time / VIP clients...was told maybe in 2-3 years. Fully appreciate the challenge of getting any SS model at the moment.
This is my fave model in the entire lineup by far, so I “had” to have it. Waited years for ADs to come around, got sick of waiting, so I went grey. I’ve only had my watch for about 2 months and have seen the grey prices go up 1-2K since the time of my purchase. It’s a nasty game, you bleed either way. I chose to bleed and get the watch.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 12:05 PM   #23
theunionjack
"TRF" Member

I had no luck in Chicago. Been interested in buying from ADs here for about 4 years now (north shore and downtown) but I've never gotten a good conversation going with someone I would want to build a relationship with. All of my rolexes have come from out of state shops.

If you have a friend who has a relationship with an AD somewhere in the area, that can be super helpful. An introduction goes a long way to getting your foot in the door IMO.
theunionjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 12:33 PM   #24
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Chicago authorized retailers are not the easiest to work with. My advice would be to travel to another area where they get bigger allocation, and try your luck there. Miami and Vegas come to mind.
Old 13 June 2021, 12:35 PM   #25
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Old 13 June 2021, 12:36 PM   #26
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
While James & Sons did technically close their Rolex dealerships at their Schererville, IN and Chicago, IL locations, they also did open one up in Naperville.
Old 13 June 2021, 12:40 PM   #27
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Same here. I would love an explorer or a Submariner date too. It seem impossible. How do you build a relationship if there is nothing to buy? It is so frustrating. I could easily buy grey market but they are so much more expensive, it doesn't make sense.
It's frustrating, I know. Jewelry goes a long way with building a reputation. But if you're not into that yourself, or lack a wife/girlfriend, it doesn't hurt building your collection with another watch brand (assuming your AD carries them). Might I suggest Omega as a more than capable alternative? The Rolex you have in mind now could be your 2nd or 3rd watch, whenever that call comes in.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 01:06 PM   #28
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Yes, James & Sons on Halsted is no longer an AD. The Rolex sign out front has been removed, and they don't show up as an AD on the Rolex website.

However, it seems their suburban locations still sell Rolex though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
While James & Sons did technically close their Rolex dealerships at their Schererville, IN and Chicago, IL locations, they also did open one up in Naperville.
Couldn't remember the name of it, but that rings a bell. I am actually a little surprised that that location survived at all. I have to imagine that COVID largely killed the entire shopping center it was in. Its anchors are/were a Saks Off 5th (gone pre-COVID), Dick's Sporting Goods, a movie theater, a bowling alley and a grocery store.
Old 13 June 2021, 01:18 PM   #29
dannyp
Banned

Was just thinking of the various dealers that have come and gone in the city itself in the past two decades, having either lost the franchise or closed up. Any to add:

Sidney Garber on Delaware
C.D. Peacock in North Bridge (Nordstrom mall)
James & Sons (first on Clybourn, then at New City)
Tourneau Water Tower Place (Rolex boutique still open)
Old 13 June 2021, 02:00 PM   #30
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

ADs are really tired of new “average” clients. Even in smaller areas.

If you walk in and just say I want an SS Rolex it’s going to be tough. They have a laundry list of clients wanting SS pieces who are long time clients or new time big spenders.

Keep pushing the pavement and be prepared to wait or just go grey.
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote