The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2021, 05:05 AM   #1
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SUB LV-C/Pepsi C
AP bug

Hey guys! First time really exploring the AP forums on here. I’m really really drawn to AP as of late. I haven’t ever had or even held an AP. Really doing a lot of research and such online.

I’m going to assume scheduling time/going into a boutique will be a huge waste of time since pieces are trading for 2x+ retail prices? Similar to most Rolex ADs at this time? Assuming no SS or sport models available unless you’re a very high roller of some kind or previous relationship?
Old 10 July 2021, 05:22 AM   #2
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Welp found the recent allocation thread which basically answers my question. @Mods can lock or delete me thread here if y’all wish.
Old 10 July 2021, 06:04 AM   #3
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Depressing, isn't it?

Watch collecting is not as fun as it used to be.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 06:05 AM   #4
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
I can’t even get on a waitlist….
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 06:29 AM   #5
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

Shoot us your budget and and what models you like and might be able to point you in the right direction on pre owned models.
Old 10 July 2021, 08:29 AM   #6
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Fly to NYC. Go to 47th street to see all the current models to see what fits you best. Then Visit NYC botique to play the SS lottery.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 08:38 AM   #7
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Haha thanks for the chuckles guys. I’d say my budget is like $25-28k and want a 15450 37mm. Grey or blue. I’m sure that’s too much to ask in this market. I shoulda got the bug earlier this year. And I hate to get rid of my Hulk or Pepsi just to have a nice AP. It is rather depressing to be honest.
Old 10 July 2021, 08:51 AM   #8
dre-techie
"TRF" Member

I would encourage you to call your boutique and go meet them, express your interest. They may have pieces they can show you, but are already sold.

Unless you want 15500, 15202 or the latest 43mm Offshores, I'm not sure it's as bad as the internet makes it sound...

I want to see some ROC in person before I decide what I want next. I asked my boutique to let me know when I can see one even if not available to buy. I have two RO that I've had before the hype hit, so not a high roller, and I am certainly not going to buy watches I don't want.
dre-techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 08:53 AM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissmadeTexan View Post
Haha thanks for the chuckles guys. I’d say my budget is like $25-28k and want a 15450 37mm. Grey or blue. I’m sure that’s too much to ask in this market. I shoulda got the bug earlier this year. And I hate to get rid of my Hulk or Pepsi just to have a nice AP. It is rather depressing to be honest.
grey and white 15450 goes for around 33k new and 31k used right now. so if you're ok to stretch a bit it's definitely doable. blue is like 45k though
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 08:55 AM   #10
shkure
Banned

Quote:

Not sure where you are based but the gray 37mm can be obtained from the AD with about 1 year wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:17 AM   #11
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
Not sure where you are based but the gray 37mm can be obtained from the AD with about 1 year wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah? Closest Boutique to me is about 4 hours away in Dallas, Texas. I’m located in Houston. I’m definitely going to try to make an appointment in any case and drive up and see if I can make a deposit get a clear spot in line for one.

I’ve been to local Rolex ADs recently and none will even take my money or put me on any kind of list for ANY SS sport models. Even at one with some bridal and some watch purchase history. It’s so absurd.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m definitely going to get one the question is when!
Old 10 July 2021, 10:01 AM   #12
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I agree I wish I got the AP bug earlier as well. I believe pre-owned 15450s were selling for ~$12K to $15K just 3 years ago. I think it still may be worth visiting the boutique so that they can see your real interest in the brand.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 10:33 AM   #13
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
I agree I wish I got the AP bug earlier as well. I believe pre-owned 15450s were selling for ~$12K to $15K just 3 years ago. I think it still may be worth visiting the boutique so that they can see your real interest in the brand.

Yeah sounds like a good idea. Question is should I wear a Rolex? If so which one? Hulk? Ceramic Pepsi? Or Wimbledon?
Old 10 July 2021, 10:35 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah? Closest Boutique to me is about 4 hours away in Dallas, Texas. I’m located in Houston. I’m definitely going to try to make an appointment in any case and drive up and see if I can make a deposit get a clear spot in line for one.

I’ve been to local Rolex ADs recently and none will even take my money or put me on any kind of list for ANY SS sport models. Even at one with some bridal and some watch purchase history. It’s so absurd.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m definitely going to get one the question is when!
Candidly no chance in Dallas. Go to NY.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:00 AM   #15
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Candidly no chance in Dallas. Go to NY.

Yeah? Damn, New York is quite a trip for a dream that maybe they’ll come thru. Why do you say no chance in Dallas?
Old 10 July 2021, 11:16 AM   #16
spryken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah sounds like a good idea. Question is should I wear a Rolex? If so which one? Hulk? Ceramic Pepsi? Or Wimbledon?

Me and my friends drop by our local boutique with G-shocks and myself on Laco watch.

I’m not going there to show how much I can spend, I’m there because I wanted to learn about AP more and what’s good for me.

I’ve got my watch in a short period and also awaiting for next collection, which now my place is stuck with lockdown and I can’t do collection.

Just give a try to the boutique and show your interest, I definitely think the experience is much better compared to what you have in mind.
Good luck
spryken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:17 AM   #17
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha thanks for the chuckles guys. I’d say my budget is like $25-28k and want a 15450 37mm. Grey or blue.
Blue is a challenge, but I don't think a grey 15450 is hopeless. Will obviously require a trip to a boutique and proper introduction, but worth a try.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:23 AM   #18
DadFuelBBQ
"TRF" Member

The Dallas boutique has been nothing but very friendly and helpful to me. I definitely recommend reaching out to them!
DadFuelBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 01:34 PM   #19
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331ST/116710BLNR
I’m in DFW and so far have enjoyed the Dallas boutique the least out of all of my AP experiences. I was able to Aquire a 15450 white dial from boston over the phone with a 2 week wait and a 26331st panda over the phone with Bal Harbor with a 1 year wait. The NY boutique was also receptive and took my info, but from my experiences within the last 12 months you don’t necessarily need to fly or visit unless you really want too. The Dallas boutique typically has 2-3 watches tops at anytime usually 2 codes and an offshore. The service in dallas is great but their willingness to not play favorites is awful.
AG_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 01:37 PM   #20
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I'd say give Dallas a shot. Things might change as production gets back to normal post-pandemic.

They can't sustain business with virtually zero inventory forever.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 03:19 PM   #21
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Ahhh nice, I didn’t know there was a boutique in Boston! I’m actually headed there next weekend. Definitely will pop in and see while I’m in town. Will they deal with an out of towner? Ship me a watch if I get some kind of allocation in the future after introduction?
Old 10 July 2021, 08:13 PM   #22
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Instead of twisting yourself into a pretzel and sucking up to an AP boutique salesperson or overpaying in the secondary market for a 15450, find another watch that you like from another brand. There are plenty of superb watches that sell at, or below, MSRP.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 08:20 PM   #23
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Instead of twisting yourself into a pretzel and sucking up to an AP boutique salesperson or overpaying in the secondary market for a 15450, find another watch that you like from another brand. There are plenty of superb watches that sell at, or below, MSRP.
Sometimes there is no substitute. Getting a substitute piece won’t scratch the itch. Of course, getting your first RO will temporarily satisfy the itch until you want another one, but at least it’ll be a longer period before you want the next one.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:21 PM   #24
Rogerab
Banned

Watch: Sub,GMT II,Hulk
Quote:
Ahhh nice, I didn’t know there was a boutique in Boston! I’m actually headed there next weekend. Definitely will pop in and see while I’m in town. Will they deal with an out of towner? Ship me a watch if I get some kind of allocation in the future after introduction?
Stop into European Watch on Newbury Street. They are a dealer and you’ll be able to see many APs. Asking prices are at the high end of the grey market. Boutique is a friendly spot but not much to see at present. Good luck with your search.
Rogerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:51 PM   #25
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

My experiences in the Dallas boutique have been uniformly positive, and I have bought from them several times. I stopped in yesterday to see a watch in fact. I am local, however. I know there are clients who fly in to town to do business with them. I wouldn’t write them off, but I do not know how they chose allocations other than knowledge and love of the brand.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 10:13 PM   #26
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
It's not far off. David just undercut chase by listing a silver dial for sub 29k.

Mark this post a change is coming. Might be slow but it is coming.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:20 PM   #27
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
Sometimes there is no substitute. Getting a substitute piece won’t scratch the itch. Of course, getting your first RO will temporarily satisfy the itch until you want another one, but at least it’ll be a longer period before you want the next one.

Yeah agree, obviously I could buy another brand but it definitely won’t scratch the itch and will just be a waste that could go toward what I truly want. I have 3 Rolex’s and just added a seamaster 300m white dial to the collection. I could part with one of my Rolex’s but I’d def regret selling the Hulk or ceramic Pepsi so doesn’t seem like a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerab View Post
Stop into European Watch on Newbury Street. They are a dealer and you’ll be able to see many APs. Asking prices are at the high end of the grey market. Boutique is a friendly spot but not much to see at present. Good luck with your search.

Thanks I will definitely check them out while I’m in town!
Old 10 July 2021, 11:27 PM   #28
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
It's not far off. David just undercut chase by listing a silver dial for sub 29k.

Mark this post a change is coming. Might be slow but it is coming.

I saw that one too. I believe it’s a 2015 watch, that’s why the price is much lower than the newer versions.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:31 PM   #29
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
I saw that one too. I believe it’s a 2015 watch, that’s why the price is much lower than the newer versions.
I still think it shows a smidge of movement.

Perhaps I am wrong but to me the year of the watch is less critical than has been made to believe recently.

Really why someone would pay more for a used watch based in model production year alone, other than warranty, is beyond me.

I only say this because a nos hot watch sells at a premium regardless of the year produced. A used watch is a used watch regardless of the year produced.

It is smart marketing to convince the consumer that you should pay more for a newer used watch.

I am not saying that is the specific case with these two just saying in general.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 11:42 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
grey and white 15450 goes for around 33k new and 31k used right now. so if you're ok to stretch a bit it's definitely doable. blue is like 45k though
If so then this seems a fair deal in today's market, I've not been following the ROs resales but had a look yesterday and saw 15202s selling for over £70K GBP! That is fast moving into 5711, even 5712, territory.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote