The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
dudelydoright
"TRF" Member

How to "present" the Rolex Updated with ?

I just got back from the jewelers and initially had a pretty good scare. He looked at the watch band and said it didn't look right to him. Turns out that it is a real pre-owned Rolex, but it dates back to 1995. So I might not have gotten as good of a deal as I had thought ($3845.00 on Overstock.com). The authorized watchmaker said that he opened it up and the serial number is W499859. He then said that the age of the band is probably what led him to question the band. So, I feel better that it is a real Rolex.

Where I am a little worried is that due to its age, it may need a complete overhaul costing about $1,000.00. He said that we won't know if it needs it until he wears it for 24 hours and then we will knkow if it is keeping correct time or not. He also mentioned that I might want to get him a watchwinder. My thoughts are that a watchwinder would add to the gears wearing out. Those that know, what do you think? Does a watchwinder help or hurt your Rolex? I want it to last as long as possible before it needs an overhaul. I also think that he will wear it everyday possible.
dudelydoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 02:38 AM   #2
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
Ok 1000 for the overhaul tooooo dam much!! Get the watch back.
Rolex only charges you $550 and most grey dealers who work on rolex watches charge about 300.
Watch winder Im sure I have a disconect with some of the guys on this forum when it comes to that.
I have the same thought process as you regarding this I usually pull the crown to the most outward position to stop the watch from running and put it in the safe when im done with it.
Then when I want to wear it again I just sync the watch with my atomic clock.
I also do this to keep it from running which in turn would cause it to wear out faster.

What are other people thoughts on this?
rkot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 03:01 AM   #3
dudelydoright
"TRF" Member

I didn't choose to have it overhauled at this time. Thanks for letting me know that that price is too high. If it needs it, I will look around for other authorized dealers. The place that quoted me that price was a high end jewelry store that is an authorized dealer.
dudelydoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Ship it to RSC and save youself $$.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 03:16 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I don't think that you paid "too much" for this Rolex..

Typically a Sub Date runs about $3900 dollars when bought used from a Dealer. They can be found cheaper, but only by a few hundred..

Your only problem is that you do not know the history, so you really don't know if it has had a clean and oil within the past couple of years..

I think that I would use a different Jeweler...unless you have your story a bit confused..

. It does not cost 1,000 bucks for most services... unless there is a lot wrong with the watch..

. He does not need to "wear it" for 24 hours to check it's timing... that can be done in a few minutes on a vibrometer.

. It does not need to be "opened up" to see the serial number. That is found on the case under the bracelet end-link which only needs to be removed... a minute job.

. A watch winder has no affect one way or the other... it only allows the watch to self-wind if not worn for long periods of time.. If your husband wears it every day, it is not necessary..

I don't think that I would fret or worry.....it is a great gift. Once given, let him explore the options on service, accessories, or timing...
Old 27 May 2009, 03:39 AM   #6
The Mole
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Be careful about shopping Rolex service based on price...

1000 is not outside of the realm of reality for an overhaul. The 550 only includes basic parts. If the watch needs a new crown and case tube and a crystal (sapphire) you are already at $300 over the 550, so be careful. You should ask him if any of the parts are optional (cosmetic).

...I have seen many "cut-corners" on overhauls in order to be price competitive.

Inaugural Conference of the 12th International Chronometer Congress, October 2004.
The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 04:20 AM   #7
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
I'd sent it to the RSC to get it serviced. $1k is too high unless you need new dial/hands and bezel insert with the service.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote