The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 August 2021, 07:38 AM   #1
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Here's onther 6542

Disclaimer: no parents, grand parents or friend of a friend where involved in this tread!

After reading the last shady discussion about the 6542, today I toke a part my GMT and take some pictures.
The story goes that I purchased this Rolex many years ago when I started collecting in a budget and I was buying cheap, (did the same with a 5508 and a 6610 that I may post later)

I only had one book to look at, called "Vintage Rolex Sports Model" by Martin Skeet, bought in the UK in 2002, and watching the photos I was trying to build my collection with little money, and now probably it would cost me a list triple of what I paid just to make it presentable. But nobody told me about B. Franklyn "The bitterness of poor quality..."

Oh well, I learn my lesson, and the watch still with me, the good part is that I can wear it without the fear of ruin a piece of history...

So let me know what you think, I never really show it to any expert so your comments on originality is welcome
I would like to show you the back of the dial but my watchmaking experience won't go that far...:)
Here some pics:

IMG_9277.JPG

IMG_9280.JPG

IMG_9269.JPG

IMG_9263.JPG

IMG_9264.JPG

IMG_9267 2.JPG

IMG_9268.JPG

Unfortunately the serial number is hard to read, I have 38133X
IMG_9258.jpg

IMG_9258.jpg

IMG_9260.JPG

IMG_9287 2.JPG

It came with the metal insert, I'm not sure if it could have been change at the time or is more recent, I believe the bezel is correct.
I put on an aftermarket (fake) Bakelite just for fun...

IMG_9281.JPG

IMG_9283.JPG

IMG_9240.JPG

Attachment 1237804
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 08:06 AM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

What? No wills or papers from the attorney? Must be fake then!

Great looking watch. Thanks for sharing
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 09:13 AM   #3
CTech
"TRF" Member

Following on from alwayshere's jocularity, it is absolutely essential that we are given an entertaining story to go with every 6542.

As well as the traditional grandfather connection you mentioned there are a number of favorites for you to choose from, such as:

The watch was originally owned by a Pan-Am pilot who became a test pilot for NASA and wore this watch in his X-33 space plane missions.

It was found in an old biscuit tin at the side of a river so it definitely belonged to Jacques Cousteau and was lost on one of his expeditions.

There are special forces connections which cannot be disclosed (hint: Shah of Iran, Vietnam, Pol Pot, Cuba).

It once belonged to Elvis Presley/Frank Sinatra/Barbra Streisand's butler/Aretha Franklin's dog, etc.

and so on.

Don't worry about it being a pack of lies or there being no documentation to support these outrageous claims because nobody else seems to bother about a minor detail such as that.

Seriously though, your watch is a good looking example of what appears to be an honest 6542 from about 1958, and I would much prefer to have that with its known issues than one of the assembled watches that have been "enhanced" for sale.

As an aside, I believe that the Bakelite bezel insert was only fitted for the first year or so and that watches were being sold in 1956 with an aluminum insert, but almost every 6542 for sale now has an aftermarket acrylic insert.

I guess the market demands the look of a plastic insert to go along with the fake history, group of irrelevant/fake papers and incorrect box.

I'm not being too cynical am I?
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 10:15 AM   #4
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I like the fade on the aluminum bezel, at least it’s not new looking….nice watch
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 10:58 AM   #5
Greglaw
Banned

It looks pretty awesome but without the grandpappy provenance...
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 11:26 AM   #6
baumare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
It looks pretty awesome but without the grandpappy provenance...
Thank you!
Yes no grandpa, but I forgot to mention about my grandma, Mrs. P. Galore...

IMG_9290.jpg
Old 11 August 2021, 12:06 PM   #7
Greglaw
Banned

Looks genuine to me!!!!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 04:18 PM   #8
Paul
"TRF" Member

That is a great looking 6542 Sir. From an era where Rolex watch dials really were alive and went in all sorts of direction with the patina. Yours looks to have settled nicely to a golden brown loveliness.

Wear it in good health - it's a great looking watch.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 10:54 PM   #9
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Nice looking wearable 6542. As you mentioned much more fun to have and wear, and a nice level of honesty in any issues it does have than most on the market today. Nice watch!
Old 11 August 2021, 11:08 PM   #10
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Need clearer close up photos but this looks to me like one of the 6542 GMTs that was overhauled by Rolex in the early 1960s, removing the Radium Bakelite and Radium Dial. Several Rolex/Tudor sports models got hammered for high radioactivity from the Radium components and the factory service network swiftly swapped out the Radium for Tritium.
Old 12 August 2021, 05:54 AM   #11
baumare
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Need clearer close up photos but this looks to me like one of the 6542 GMTs that was overhauled by Rolex in the early 1960s, removing the Radium Bakelite and Radium Dial. Several Rolex/Tudor sports models got hammered for high radioactivity from the Radium components and the factory service network swiftly swapped out the Radium for Tritium.
I like your hypothesis, would it be great if this watch was part of the recall Rolex did in the 50'/60' regarding the radioactivity, there where not many 6542 around, only 605 where imported in the USA, like they stated in this letter.

IMG_9296 2.jpg

My understanding is that at the beginning they where removing the Radium form the numbers of the Bakelite insert to replace it with non radioactive material, and after they replace it completely with a metal insert.
Like in the watch in this receipt

IMG_9295.jpg

I have the watch right here but like I said I'm capable of taking the dial apart but I can take more photos if needed
Old 12 August 2021, 06:46 AM   #12
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Dial has seen some water over the years. Hands probably relumed due to that. Bakelite gone as often due to damage or service. It’s a charming old watch. Enjoy!
Old 13 August 2021, 03:00 AM   #13
Chrisrolextoronto
"TRF" Member

love love love that wear!!!
Chrisrolextoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 05:38 AM   #14
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Need better photos of the dial - BTW - have you run this by a Radiation detector?