The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 August 2021, 10:15 AM   #1
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
If you were hiring, how would you react...

... if a candidate walked in using a cane?
It's unexpected because it's not like it's listed on the resume (CV).

I haven't had much luck switching careers or finding remote work from home opportunities. Seems the only jobs interested are in similar roles to what I had before and in a simular office environment.
The backstory is that my spinal fusion surgery in 2019 didn't fuse and I'm always in pain from the nerve. I've accepted that I can realize a huge improvement in my mobility and pain stamina simply by using the cane when I'm vertical outside my home. When I'm home I'm found reclined propped up on the couch.
So I guess I'm feeling a bit self conscious about walking into the live interview / facility tour with a cane. They're going to notice.
Since interviews can be nerve-wracking as it is please be honest. How would you react if the guy on the other side of the resume, who you've already had a great phone conversation with, arrived different than expected?
We're mostly anonymous here. All things considered, would you consider the candidate's mobility when interviewing for a mostly desk job or am I overthinking it?

TRF EDIT:
I already know the most important things to concentrate on are my skills and experience and which watch to wear to the interview and what to do if my watch is nicer than the hiring manager's. I know how it works for us TRFers. I'm not new here.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 10:19 AM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
A cane would not bother me. It might even show fortitude.

Go crush this dog. Fear not and make it happen. You got this!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 10:20 AM   #3
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Unless I was hiring to fill the position of tennis pro or similar, a cane would have zero baring on my thoughts. As a matter of fact, if someone did judge and didn't hire you, you're better off.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 10:29 AM   #4
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
It wouldn’t be a negative. I’ve had to use one myself. No need to be self conscious about it. You never know what health issues interviewers have overcome or invisible disabilities they are dealing with.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 10:31 AM   #5
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I’m sure we all have unconscious biases we wouldn’t be aware of (hence unconscious) but I don’t think it would adversely affect my decision whatsoever.
Old 16 August 2021, 10:40 AM   #6
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

If you’re breathing you’re hired!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 10:40 AM   #7
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
My thought would be this: is the applicant qualified for the job? Good. That's enough for me.
Old 16 August 2021, 10:57 AM   #8
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
It wouldn't bother me, not that I have ever hired anyone.

It could bother others though, not in the sense that you couldn't do the job, just in the sense that they would be unsure if you would need a lot of time off sick or going to a doctors. I certainly hope that is not the case, but it is a consideration Bill and although I dont think it is right, it is an honest opinion.

I will point out again, that I have never hired anyone, my career was as a soldier, they just turned up from the training establishment.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 10:57 AM   #9
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Double post.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 11:12 AM   #10
Black_5
"TRF" Member

Unless the job required mobility, and as long as any existing conditions that could impact your ability to work were disclosed, it would not be an issue for me.

More important would be if your pain/discomfort would impact your ability to do your job, or required any special access or support requirements.

There would usually be questions regarding this during the application phase, such as “Are their any limiting factors or special requirements for you to be able to complete the requirements of the role.”

In our environment some employers may be concerned about any risk of workers compensation claims, so answering “No” to this question, and and not providing any visibility to any existing health issues could then be viewed with concern due to a fear they may then ask for special assistance or make a claim later.

I would suggest honesty up front, or providing a clear explanation at the start of the interview would help as turning up with a cane without warning could cause some potential employers to speculate (incorrectly) on their own.

That sort of employer, you probably don’t want to work for anyway.

Good luck with your interviews…

SOoO many watches SOoO little time...
Black_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 11:43 AM   #11
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Have been building and running hiring processes for quite a few years now and it wouldn't be a problem in the slightest for me. Only shitty people and companies would be bothered by it.

Suggestion to help get down the nerves:
- Definitely keep the coffee / caffeine intake low that day if any
- Dress appropriately but make it your most comfortable attire of that
- Roleplay your interviews with yourself or others
- Look up your interviewers if you have names, see what info you can track down on them
- Get clear info the process they will put you through, easier to prepare if you know what's coming

Easier said than done to stay calm but its some stuff you can put into play to help. You got this. Kill it.

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
dandigangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 11:49 AM   #12
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Bill it would not bother me at all. Not a bit.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 12:07 PM   #13
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
As someone who is in their 30s and has chronic nerve pain stemming from back stuff, if anything, I think I would probably be able to relate with you more. Obviously, things like your work ethic, how much of a subject matter expert you are in your respective field, how much you actually want the job and how excited you would be to come to work each day, and what kind of personal connection you could make (especially if it is a client-facing position) would play the main role(s) depending on the nature of the job.

Also, bear in mind that more than half of US adults have some type of chronic medical condition.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 12:09 PM   #14
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Wouldn’t bother me. Honestly I’d be assessing the cane to help judge your personality just like I would your clothes, haircut, cleanliness. Drug store cane? Meh…. Something custom, let’s talk. I know it sounds silly but I appreciate it when people show their personality. I don’t love bland. And really, it takes a lot to grab any issue you have and own it. If a guy came in with a custom cane I’d think “hell yeah he’s owning the hand he was dealt”. I’d have respect for it.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 12:17 PM   #15
logo
"TRF" Member

Is there any chance of upgrading the cane to a pimping staff? All 18k gold with selected precious gem stones and engravings? That would be an auto-hire. Otherwise, it wouldn’t concern me one bit - judge the candidate for their skills and qualities, not how they mobilize.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 12:21 PM   #16
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Wouldn’t bother me. Honestly I’d be assessing the cane to help judge your personality just like I would your clothes, haircut, cleanliness. Drug store cane? Meh…. Something custom, let’s talk. I know it sounds silly but I appreciate it when people show their personality. I don’t love bland. And really, it takes a lot to grab any issue you have and own it. If a guy came in with a custom cane I’d think “hell yeah he’s owning the hand he was dealt”. I’d have respect for it.

Sent using Tapatalk
I agree. Call me old fashioned but I hated the generic, adjustable, aluminum cane they gave me during rehab following the operation and I don't like the pistol grip style handles so I bought several wooden hook style canes just like grandpa used to use and stashed one in each car and another near the outside door.
J. Buffett
Old 16 August 2021, 12:46 PM   #17
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
The cane wouldn't be an issue. But if an applicant told me they were in constant pain, that would be a red flag.
Old 16 August 2021, 12:50 PM   #18
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
If the job was a severely physical one, like bucking hay in a barn, I might have some reservations. For a person working at a desk or some other stationary work station, no reservations whatsoever.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 01:03 PM   #19
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
The cane wouldn't be an issue. But if an applicant told me they were in constant pain, that would be a red flag.

Please explain.
J. Buffett
Old 16 August 2021, 01:18 PM   #20
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
Please explain.
I guess if you have constant pain I would fear that you may skip some days because of it, quit, or something along those lines.

Then I would have to find someone to cover you etc and that would be doing extra work.

Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 01:31 PM   #21
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I was the 'Disability Advocate/Advisor' for a Federal Government Department for a decade earlier in my career and my experience with employers both government and private was that in the main they were just thinking about what special requirements/aids/facilities (if any) the candidate would need. This was always discussed with them at the interview and in most cases, the employers were willing to take reasonable steps to accommodate suitable candidates. What they most looked for was a positive, can-do attitude on the part of the candidate.
I will say however that obese people often did suffer discrimination from employers and this was a very difficult prejudice to surmount. But a cane? - nah!

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 01:34 PM   #22
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
I guess if you have constant pain I would fear that you may skip some days because of it, quit, or something along those lines.

Then I would have to find someone to cover you etc and that would be doing extra work.

Yes I've thought about that. It makes sense.
In addition to showing them how my skills will be of good use, part of my job at the interview will be to reassure them that my problem is not their problem.
J. Buffett
Old 16 August 2021, 02:33 PM   #23
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Please explain.
Like Matt said, I'd be concerned about missed time, but also about the daily attitude a person who was dealing with chronic pain might wind up bringing into the workplace. Just the term, 'constant pain' is a little off-putting. If I were in your shoes, not sure I'd share that particular item, at least not using those words.
Old 16 August 2021, 02:48 PM   #24
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... if a candidate walked in using a cane?
It's unexpected because it's not like it's listed on the resume (CV).

I haven't had much luck switching careers or finding remote work from home opportunities. Seems the only jobs interested are in similar roles to what I had before and in a simular office environment.
The backstory is that my spinal fusion surgery in 2019 didn't fuse and I'm always in pain from the nerve. I've accepted that I can realize a huge improvement in my mobility and pain stamina simply by using the cane when I'm vertical outside my home. When I'm home I'm found reclined propped up on the couch.
So I guess I'm feeling a bit self conscious about walking into the live interview / facility tour with a cane. They're going to notice.
Since interviews can be nerve-wracking as it is please be honest. How would you react if the guy on the other side of the resume, who you've already had a great phone conversation with, arrived different than expected?
We're mostly anonymous here. All things considered, would you consider the candidate's mobility when interviewing for a mostly desk job or am I overthinking it?

TRF EDIT:
I already know the most important things to concentrate on are my skills and experience and which watch to wear to the interview and what to do if my watch is nicer than the hiring manager's. I know how it works for us TRFers. I'm not new here.
Almost all significant workplaces have had anti-discrimination policies since years and most countries have them written into employment law. If you do have special requirements (you need time off for regular doctor appointments or suffer bots of crippling pain that may render you unable to work) you need to be open about them at the interview as they will obviously find out very quickly. Otherwise, don't even mention the cane unless asked.

Last edited by xrole; 16 August 2021 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Typo correction
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 03:08 PM   #25
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Assuming your job interview is not some type of physically competitive endeavor, the cane should not be a factor. Both morally and legally.

Best of luck.
Old 16 August 2021, 08:12 PM   #26
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Would not bother me in the slightest.

And unless the employer has been living under a rock for several decades, it should not bother them in the slightest.

Good luck.
Old 16 August 2021, 09:54 PM   #27
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you were hiring, how would you react...

Quote:
Please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Like Matt said, I'd be concerned about missed time, but also about the daily attitude a person who was dealing with chronic pain might wind up bringing into the workplace. Just the term, 'constant pain' is a little off-putting. If I were in your shoes, not sure I'd share that particular item, at least not using those words.

I think the adjunct is more basic for the HR hiring manager. And might require candor up front.

If you use any prescriptions for chronic pain management that could cause a poor result in any mandatory drug test (e.g., come back positive) - then it needs early disclosure to avoid automatic preclusion in the final steps in hiring process.

I wish the best for your career search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 11:37 PM   #28
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think a lot of people here are being kind or are a lot higher evolved than the average person.

I'm sure the initial reaction would be "slightly taken aback" as a first impression. Not saying anything about qualification and the "energy" of the interview but any disability a person has, takes that person to a different place in decision making.

I grew up with a sister with polio and she wore extensive leg braces, walked with 2 arm crutches, and later in life walked with a cane and limped. EVERYONE reacted differently to her, not saying necessarily negatively but it was always a "thing". She was always the "different one". And like that for her entire life.

People are a lot more accepting of any kind of disabilities these days but we are kidding ourselves if we think walking into a room with a cane, or in a wheelchair doesn't change the dynamic of any conversation. And it's also affected by if that 'disability" is a sprained ankle/skiing accident or a permanent disability.

Not saying that affects the hiring process for better or worse but immediately you are a 'different" candidate. Good luck in your search.

I also think a tremendous amount of the response from other people is YOUR attitude about the disability as well.
Old 16 August 2021, 11:51 PM   #29
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Any place where it would be considered a negative is not a place I would want to work. You have to be a special kind of jerk for it to be an issue impacting a hiring decision imo. If you would prefer for your comfort level to let them know in advance, I don't think that could hurt. Perhaps could mention that you use one in advance to let them know if stairs etc.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2021, 12:28 AM   #30
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I wouldn’t care as long as I could afford you and you could do the job.

But for many, if you had a cane/limp and looked like an angry biker with tats and such I’m sure people could assume you were a former biker or something and lost a fight or dropped the hog; the angry independent type.

But if you had a cane/limp and walked in looking like an eccentric scientist it could be a positive if you’re a data analyst or dinosaur cloning academic.

It really depends on the vibe you give off for most. Although nobody would admit that, it does matter. Let’s not be ignorant to ignorance. People are people.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote