The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2021, 02:31 AM   #1
denrusso
"TRF" Member

Wine Allocations

Well it's that time of year!

Already received my allocation for Colgin Cariad and Scarecrow M. Etain. Just got the email from Harlan. I bought my allocation the last two years from them at $850 per bottle - and I was limited to 3 bottles per year. Total with tax and shipping came to just over $1,000 per bottle.

2019 is now priced at $1,000 per bottle! Along with the price increase I was permitted to submit for 2 cases and 6 magnums (at a total cost of $36,600). I like sticking with my 3-bottle allocations but this pricing makes it hard to stay with.

Anyone else on Harlan's list get their allocation and have a similar price increase?

Thanks,
dr
denrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 02:47 AM   #2
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
That’s my watch budget. You know they sell wine by the box, right?
Old 22 September 2021, 02:51 AM   #3
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post

Already received my allocation for Colgin Cariad and Scarecrow M. Etain. Just got the email from Harlan. I bought my allocation the last two years from them at $850 per bottle - and I was limited to 3 bottles per year. Total with tax and shipping came to just over $1,000 per bottle.

2019 is now priced at $1,000 per bottle! Along with the price increase I was permitted to submit for 2 cases and 6 magnums (at a total cost of $36,600). I like sticking with my 3-bottle allocations but this pricing makes it hard to stay with.

Anyone else on Harlan's list get their allocation and have a similar price increase?

Thanks,
dr

Do you know how much Night Train and Wild Irish Rose I can buy with that money???????????
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 05:24 AM   #4
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EEF85FBC-422A-43DF-A4B9-71FDDDF3B263.jpeg (79.2 KB, 301 views)
Old 22 September 2021, 05:43 AM   #5
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I can relate, I am an enthusiast and quite the wine connoisseur

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 22 September 2021, 07:02 AM   #6
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Dang, that's a whole different league than me... I've bought a few Opus One bottles, and really enjoy some reds in the $85-100 range, but $1000 a bottle is a bit steep for me. I don't know if the quality is significantly that much better than I'm used to. I don't even buy $1000 bottles of whiskey...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 07:09 AM   #7
denrusso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
That’s my watch budget. You know they sell wine by the box, right?
You know you can buy a timex, right?
denrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 07:13 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I’m not worthy.

That’s like 3 grand a night.
Old 22 September 2021, 09:46 AM   #9
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You know you can buy a timex, right?
way too expensive.
Old 22 September 2021, 09:51 AM   #10
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I love wine. Years ago I dated a sommelier and really made an effort to refine my palate. I then read the below article from wine folly and did the little test they put forth. I found out I'm a "non-taster" and my wallet has thanked me ever since!

https://winefolly.com/tips/find-your...20of%20tasters.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 09:52 AM   #11
austinp
"TRF" Member

Probably get loads of responses on the wine thread. Lots of guys over there talk about those wines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 10:35 AM   #12
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Ridiculous price points.
Other than wine traders, does anyone actually buys these wines to consume?
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 02:17 PM   #13
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
A friend of mine is a hedge fund manager and has a 1,000 bottle cellar. This was about 10 years ago, but he had been chasing after Screaming Eagle for several years at that point, trying to get an allocation from the winery. I think at the time it was around $2k per bottle.

He said his boss called him one day, all pissed off, because his wife had a bunch of her girlfriends over the night before for a girl's night. He was out at a dinner meeting and when he got home and walked into the dining room, they were all there laughing and having a great time. There were 3 or 4 empty bottles on the table, and every one of them was Screaming Eagle! Out of a 2,000 bottle cellar, that's what they honed in on.

Turns out he had also been trying for years to get it and finally did just a couple of weeks before. The worst part was his wife and her friends weren't really wine drinkers and didn't even know what it was! She said "this was was pretty good. We really liked the bottle so we drank them all!" They literally went into the cellar, randomly picked some wine based on the bottle, and drank his entire collection that had taken him years of hunting and patience to finally obtain. He didn't have the heart to tell them that each of those bottles was $2k. He didn't even get to try it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 02:34 PM   #14
Atone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
A friend of mine is a hedge fund manager and has a 1,000 bottle cellar. This was about 10 years ago, but he had been chasing after Screaming Eagle for several years at that point, trying to get an allocation from the winery. I think at the time it was around $2k per bottle.

He said his boss called him one day, all pissed off, because his wife had a bunch of her girlfriends over the night before for a girl's night. He was out at a dinner meeting and when he got home and walked into the dining room, they were all there laughing and having a great time. There were 3 or 4 empty bottles on the table, and every one of them was Screaming Eagle! Out of a 2,000 bottle cellar, that's what they honed in on.

Turns out he had also been trying for years to get it and finally did just a couple of weeks before. The worst part was his wife and her friends weren't really wine drinkers and didn't even know what it was! She said "this was was pretty good. We really liked the bottle so we drank them all!" They literally went into the cellar, randomly picked some wine based on the bottle, and drank his entire collection that had taken him years of hunting and patience to finally obtain. He didn't have the heart to tell them that each of those bottles was $2k. He didn't even get to try it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ooooooooffff. That’s a bummer.
Old 22 September 2021, 06:53 PM   #15
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks,
dr
I love it…! I only have one problem way worse than watch addiction and that is wines. I’m nowhere near your price range on my allocations but I have a collection of 450-475 bottles and have been securing futures from California and France. I think my whole collection is worth as much as your last order “YIKES”
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 08:58 PM   #16
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I’m not worthy.

That’s like 3 grand a night.
Brilliant. Still laughing at that.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 10:43 PM   #17
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
And to think, I was miffed because they wanted $2 for a two liter bottle of caffeine-free Diet Coke at Fry's.
Old 22 September 2021, 10:48 PM   #18
Dr. Hips
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Old 24 September 2021, 06:27 AM   #19
encarter13
"TRF" Member

My biggest problem with my allocations (outside of the $$$) is that fact that I am still growing my collection. Buying recent vintages does not give me anything to drink now. Obviously, a first world problem, but still a problem I have.
Old 24 September 2021, 01:36 PM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Sh*+

I have five cases coming on allocation next month and no more room in the wine cellar (i.e., glorified basement closet).

Looks like I have some work to do the next few weeks.

Actually thought about deferring this Fall’s allocation but these winemakers are actually friends and they really appreciate the support given the brutal last couple of years they have had to endure.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 02:48 PM   #21
offrdmania

I am in the wine industry and am given bottles all the time. Plus, I make wine. I have way too many bottles and cant drink it all. Cases upon cases just stacked up everywhere in the cold room. I honestly dont even know whats in there anymore. HAHA
I actually just finished crushing some Merlot tonight that im using for a Boudreaux blend. It should soften the Cabernet tannins nicely.
Old 24 September 2021, 03:15 PM   #22
LSU-MOOSE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:

dr
I am not on Harlan’s allocation but I have seen increases. I spend around 100K per year on around 25 cases. Increase of over 10%.
Thanks,
LSU-MOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 11:10 PM   #23
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I suppose one of the benefits of my likely permanent alterations in taste and smell courtesy of my run in with Covid is that I have no more use for overly expensive and subtly nuanced spirits.
I can still drink Gin and, with race exceptions, super premium Gin is maybe $150.
$150 for ~12 drinks. Nice.
Though I’m not sure what to do with my single malt collection.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 11:52 PM   #24
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
The buzzards are circling I expect.

I had a root canal once and lost my sense of taste for about 5 months.

Although some say I never had any to begin with.

I hope yours returns soon.
Old 25 September 2021, 01:00 AM   #25
Beo3

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I suppose one of the benefits of my likely permanent alterations in taste and smell courtesy of my run in with Covid is that I have no more use for overly expensive and subtly nuanced spirits.
I can still drink Gin and, with race exceptions, super premium Gin is maybe $150.
$150 for ~12 drinks. Nice.
Brian - I can always visit for a long weekend and help you put a dent in your collection.

Here's to hoping your symptoms subside quickly
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 01:32 AM   #26
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Speaking of basements:

My same friend who was trying to get on the Screaming Eagle allocation list, whose boss's wife and her friends drank all of his, told me that he was over at a wine club member's house to buy a few bottles of something. He said it was kind of sad to see the addiction this guy had.

The guy had a small house and the entire unfinished basement was completely filled with cases of wine stacked from floor to ceiling. Not cheap crap, either. These were all $100 to $1,000 bottles. He said there was at least $250,000 worth of wine in this basement and the house was probably not worth much more than this. That was 10 years ago, so that house is probably worth way more now, but I am sure there's even more wine in there now, too!
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 03:28 AM   #27
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I made a trip to Napa years ago and overloaded on wine tastings. Now I can only drink 2 maybe 3 glasses of red wine without feeling sick. It's akin to having a really bad night with tequila, I haven't touched that stuff in years.
Old 25 September 2021, 01:34 PM   #28
Lawman77
"TRF" Member

Crazy wine allocations. How dare Harlan?!?
No wonder I’ve been losing sleep.
Lawman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 02:19 PM   #29
Cazador60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
Wow! and I just upped my game to $20 dollar wine for my bi-weekly home BBQ dinners.... Obviously when we go out my wine budget goes up but $100 Fazul is the most I have ever spent of me own money on a bottle.
Cazador60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 03:37 PM   #30
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
Do you know how much Night Train and Wild Irish Rose I can buy with that money???????????
All aboard the Night Train!
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote