The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 September 2021, 12:03 AM   #1
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Insomnia... What do you do?

I have unfortunately dealt with insomnia for years. I think it's an unfortunate side effect of working graveyard for the last 28 years. When it comes on, it can last for days or even weeks averaging only about 2 hours a day of sleep. I have tried different medications, homeopathic remedies and everything in between.

I usually find something to do that is relatively quiet so as not to disturb my boy. I have found that I tend to start cooking. I am currently taking a few vacation days and couldn't sleep tonight and now have a fresh pan of Lasagna and 4 dozen peanut butter cookies.

If you do or have suffered from insomnia, what do you do to keep yourself busy?
Old 30 September 2021, 12:10 AM   #2
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
No experience with that. Sorry to hear, sounds frustrating.

On another note, y’all gonna eat all that lasagna?
Old 30 September 2021, 12:24 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear that.

It sounds like you've messed up your circadian rhythm and probably done tons of your own research on how to re-adjust it.

I think people benefit from ritual and set timetables for things, so in your case, on the one hand try to get your rhythms back to "normal" while still do what everyone else does in their 16 hours of being awake.

Just do it so that it doesn't affect other people. Like headphones, for TV/music, and try to insulate those sleeping from your activities. Tip towing around the house probably just causes stress which releases cortisol and blocks sleep. So I guess, live your life, and soundproof your sons room so you don't mess with his sleeping hours.

Good luck in correcting this.

This is something I've been researching and some people think it's a game changer for sleep. https://www.chilisleep.com/products/ooler-sleep-system

So I ordered it for my wife and we'll see how it works. But damn, its not cheap.
Old 30 September 2021, 12:35 AM   #4
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I know you mentioned you tried a bunch of medications, have you tried CBD? I find that just regular CBD gummies, knock me out. Not in a sleeping pill type way but enough where i can’t do anything else but sleep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:06 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Meditation has been super for me.

I used to, and sometimes still do, wake up every AM between 2-3. I would tend to be up until 5 or so, and then the day was misery. This has gone on for years.

Stopping drinking has been super for me. Not sure if you drink or not, but there is real data that shows something called the "boomerang effect". Once the sugar leaves your body, you wake up.

I used to take melatonin but that puts me to sleep, doesn't keep me asleep. I also woke up like a zombie.

I now sometimes take one puff of the cheeba and that has been helpful too.

But all in all, meditation has been my friend. I literally just slow my breathing and count my breaths. It has worked wonders.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:20 AM   #6
Brew
"TRF" Member

Nap when I need/want to. If I don’t sleep at night, I’ll catch up later. I try not to fret over it; it doesn’t help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:21 AM   #7
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Sorry to hear that.

It sounds like you've messed up your circadian rhythm and probably done tons of your own research on how to re-adjust it.

This is something I've been researching and some people think it's a game changer for sleep. https://www.chilisleep.com/products/ooler-sleep-system

So I ordered it for my wife and we'll see how it works. But damn, its not cheap.
I have the Tempurpedic Luxe Breeze cooling mattress, it's not a temperature issue... although the mattress didn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I know you mentioned you tried a bunch of medications, have you tried CBD? I find that just regular CBD gummies, knock me out. Not in a sleeping pill type way but enough where i can’t do anything else but sleep.
I have not tried CBD but have considered it. I have always been hesitant because I don't know what effects I may experience. I realize there is no THC or any other active psychoactive but I an still leery. I don't, and never have done drugs, so it's always been an unknown for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Meditation has been super for me.

Stopping drinking has been super for me. Not sure if you drink or not, but there is real data that shows something called the "boomerang effect". Once the sugar leaves your body, you wake up.
The only time I drink is a beer or two with dinner, beyond that... I really don't. I would say if I have eight beers a month, it's been a heavy month.
Old 30 September 2021, 01:28 AM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
^^^

Meditation is key then. Super easy to look into and implement.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:33 AM   #9
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
^^^

Meditation is key then. Super easy to look into and implement.
Agree. A lot comes down to breathing techniques. Shutting off the brain is the key.

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...ign=pockethits
Old 30 September 2021, 01:54 AM   #10
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
No day naps, kill it at the gym, long runs/bike/swim/yoga/exercise and or be active throughout the day, watch the caffeine, melatonin, and create a relaxing atmosphere with music/incense/rain sounds youtube video/music/or ear plugs(figure which works better), relaxing isolated meditation before bed and wear a plush large eye covering to keep them forced closed.

Your mind seems to be the culprit, it isn't shutting off when you lay down, various factors contribute to this. Identify what you're thinking of when trying to sleep....attempt some kind of resolution with these issues. Lastly when all else fails seek professional help, don't wait years when it's become a mental baseline behavior pattern. Your body's clock may be interrupted and needs "servicing". When it's time to go to bed, GO TO BED. Set a pattern for sleep time and stick to it, at first you may lay there but with some resolution to the above and or professional help the body will start to listen, hopefully.

I have lived on a reverse cycle since my military days where I work nights and sleep during the day. I've struggled with sleep for years, but the above works for me. Good luck.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:30 AM   #11
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre38 View Post
I have the Tempurpedic Luxe Breeze cooling mattress, it's not a temperature issue... although the mattress didn't hurt.

I have not tried CBD but have considered it. I have always been hesitant because I don't know what effects I may experience. I realize there is no THC or any other active psychoactive but I an still leery. I don't, and never have done drugs, so it's always been an unknown for me.

The only time I drink is a beer or two with dinner, beyond that... I really don't. I would say if I have eight beers a month, it's been a heavy month.

For me, the CBD is like a really strong melatonin. Not a solution for long term but might help temporarily. I agree with what some of the others wrote. Getting away from screens before bed is a huge help. When i sleep best I’m not on my phone or tablet before i go to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2021, 10:55 AM   #12
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Insomnia... What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Agree. A lot comes down to breathing techniques. Shutting off the brain is the key.

4 - 7 - 8 I'll Try it, Thanks!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:46 AM   #13
FinerthingsII
"TRF" Member

Watch: 31mm Datejust YG
I have had trouble with sleep for a few years now. A lot attributed with declining female hormones (Ok I am over 60, but this also applies to men as they age!), but also my mind not being able to shut down. I have tried Melatonin (did nothing), CBD (caused worsening of tinnitus), ear plugs, Ambien (not a good long term solution as you never get a good REM sleep), and listening to soothing recordings such as rain, ocean etc. The most effective for me has been soothing recordings, and a very cool bedroom temperature so that I could feel cuddled by a warm comforter. My husband snores most evenings, so that is also a distracting problem, but earplugs with/without soothing sounds solves it. The breathing exercises sound good, and I would definitely try those if I were you. Good luck. This problem is not something to be ignored, and good thing you are trying to work on it. Lack of sleep is so bad for your body, causing an increase in cortisol, with its associated inflammation... not good.

Must also add that I have found reading in bed to be very relaxing, but your lighting has to be a warm yellow light. Blue lights from IPads, TVs etc, are terrible for normal sleep cycles.
FinerthingsII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:54 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good luck with this Paul, I wish I could help.

I only sleep about 5-6 hours a night and I’m a very light sleeper at that. I feel for you.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:57 AM   #15
greeneyedguy
Banned

Wake up, workout for an hour, run 4 miles, work all day, get home, work out for an hour, stretch and yoga for an hour. Its 10 pm here and ive been stretching since 9. Take some magnesium and im off to sleep exhausted in 4 minutes. Put in the work to build a highly functional body and you will sleep with ease.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 12:08 PM   #16
FinerthingsII
"TRF" Member

Agreed, that exercise has to be a key link in the solution, however I think that anything in excess is not advisable, and not beneficial to the average human.
Old 30 September 2021, 12:55 PM   #17
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I too worked night shift almost my entire career. I started using a sleep mask to block light many years ago and still use one to this day, even iwhen going to bed when it's dark. When I put it on, my body knows it's sleep time. I have also taken a single dose of nyquil every day before bedtime for 20 years. This is the only thing that will make me tired. I asked a Dr if this was bad and they said only if I use more than the recommended daily dose. It hasn't failed me yet and I will keep on that schedule.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:16 PM   #18
FinerthingsII
"TRF" Member

A glass of wine in the evening, as long as you don't have a problem with alcohol, helps me relax as well. But... you must keep it at only one or two at most, otherwise it causes problem with wakening in the middle of the night and difficulty falling asleep again. In my younger years after graduating from college I had to work a rotating shift every other week as an RN in a hospital. One week on at 7am-3pm, the next week at 11pm - 7am. It was awful, I could not sleep during the day no matter how exhausted I was, and then had to turn around a pick the kids up from school at 3:30pm, homework with the kids, make dinner, then get back to work by 11pm. At some point I had to leave the hospital grind and work at an outpatient clinic with more regular hours. Shift work is so hard on the body, I hope you can find your natural rhythm again even after all these years. Best wishes to you.
Old 30 September 2021, 01:20 PM   #19
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I too worked night shift almost my entire career. I started using a sleep mask to block light many years ago and still use one to this day, even iwhen going to bed when it's dark. When I put it on, my body knows it's sleep time. I have also taken a single dose of nyquil every day before bedtime for 20 years. This is the only thing that will make me tired. I asked a Dr if this was bad and they said only if I use more than the recommended daily dose. It hasn't failed me yet and I will keep on that schedule.

Now they have zquil, just for sleep.

Old 30 September 2021, 01:37 PM   #20
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Now they have zquil, just for sleep.

They do, but I can't tell the difference in taking a shot of that vs water. I've tried every over the counter sleep med available and nothing works for me but Nyquil.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:52 PM   #21
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They do, but I can't tell the difference in taking a shot of that vs water. I've tried every over the counter sleep med available and nothing works for me but Nyquil.

NyQuil is no joke, that stuff works!

Old 30 September 2021, 02:03 PM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Sorry to hear this Paul. I’ve dealt with it for years. I usually don’t fight it. It doesn’t help. I go for a drive or watch a movie. After about 1.5hrs I’m tired again and go to sleep. The key is don’t stay in bed or look at a clock. Start the next day later if you have to.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:45 PM   #23
Playinwittime
"TRF" Member

Watch: out! I'm coming.
Have your blood chemistry checked for high triglycerides or other abnormalities.
Playinwittime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:52 PM   #24
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Another one for

Quote:
Originally Posted by blansky View Post
agree. A lot comes down to breathing techniques. Shutting off the brain is the key.

4-7-8
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:57 PM   #25
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
I battle with it occasionally.

Rather than fight it, I get up and read or find something quiet to do in the house. For me, the trouble is that I can’t turn my mind off so I have to find a way to engage it for a while. Don’t know if that qualifies as insomnia or if I’m just terrible at sleeping at times.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 06:29 PM   #26
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
The ingredients are different. Nyquil doesn’t use benadryl which is essentially what Zquil is but I would assume it’s a low dose per spoon.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 11:23 PM   #27
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your stories and suggestions. Not trying to be dismissive of some, but to those who think it's just a matter of not being tired enough, I would beg to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
Put in the work to build a highly functional body and you will sleep with ease.
After one has been up for 22 of 24 hours... or 44 of 48... or 66 of 72 hours, one runs out of the energy to exercise.

Quote:
I have also taken a single dose of nyquil every day before bedtime for 20 years. This is the only thing that will make me tired. I asked a Dr if this was bad and they said only if I use more than the recommended daily dose. It hasn't failed me yet and I will keep on that schedule.
I have tried Nyquil... can't stomach the stuff. It helped me get to sleep but an hour later I was back awake. I have tried Sominex, Unisom, Benadryl, Zolpidem, Ambien, Melatonin... and the list goes on. I have been through sleep studies, their definitive diagnosis... "You're just not sleeping."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Sorry to hear this Paul. I’ve dealt with it for years. I usually don’t fight it. It doesn’t help. I go for a drive or watch a movie.
I take my Autistic son on thrifting trips so he can look for VHS tapes for his collection ( he has about 1800 tapes now ). Yesterday we logged 360 miles, 8 St. Vinnies Stores, 11 Goodwill stores, and about 7 other independant thrift stores. I was exhausted... Once we got home, couldn't sleep.
Old 30 September 2021, 11:54 PM   #28
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Icon10

I have occasional bouts of insomnia which seem to come in periods of 2-3 nights at a whack.

Also, I sometimes have the reverse effect of many here where extreme workout sessions actually result in much poorer sleep that night.

Really, the only thing that has worked for me reliably is CBN (distinct from CBD). This is purely anecdotal as there are not yet any studies on it. In addition, mine has THC as well (legal in Colorado) which may present legal issues for you. While mine has THC, I really don’t have the opportunity to feel high as I am drifting off to sleep about an hour after taking. THC alone does not necessarily have this effect on me. It may be worth trying to find a pure CBN product.

A buddy of mine taking Parkinson’s medications has had severely disrupted sleep as a side effect of his meds. He tried the formula I used and reported much more consistent sleep as well. He asked his doctor about it and was told “If it works, then great - beats a sleeping pill”.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 12:33 AM   #29
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Ear Plugs - simple foam ear plugs

Try them they work.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 12:52 AM   #30
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Ear Plugs - simple foam ear plugs

Try them they work.
Sorry, nope. I dare say you're over simplifying the issue, but I have to be honest and say I have tried ear plugs. I have tried the foam, gel and rubber ones. I can't sleep with them in... or just can't sleep. The pressure they cause is very uncomfortable while trying to sleep.