The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2021, 05:27 AM   #1
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Does the 26mm ladies watch have a following.

Having watched TV shows where members of the public present items for valuation or purchase, there are many times when ladies tiny gold ‘cocktail’ watches, of various well known makes are deemed no longer fashionable and valued having no sale value and only worth scrap gold content.
Will there ever come a time when an old well worn 26mm ladies 18ct gold Rolex, with worn out badly stretched gold president bracelet, no service history and no papers, ever be valued at scrap gold value only?
First thing is,1980s watches are considered vintage by the RSC and servicing cost might be about £600, or the watch might not even be accepted for a service.
Second, the restoration of a gold bracelet, with re-pining and soldering tubes into the elongated centre link holes might be more than £800 ? So my question is;- Does the 26mm rolex have a collectors value?
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 05:55 AM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No, but I like them on the Mrs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0018 copy 3.jpg (131.6 KB, 273 views)
Old 2 October 2021, 06:10 AM   #3
rM3panno
"TRF" Member

My wife wears a 26mm ref 179171. It’s a TT RG and SS with Dark Mother of Pearl dial and factory diamond indices. It’s small but a stunner and she loves it because it can be worn to almost anything.
rM3panno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:11 PM   #4
Brian Eno
"TRF" Member

Personally, I think if I went full YG/RG, I’d prefer a dainty size to offset the flashiness. I’d for sure rock a vintage ladies DJ with a hard stone dial.
Brian Eno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:25 PM   #5
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
I have the 26mm from my 20’s for sentimental reasons. I’m older now so love my 36mm as I can read the time without glasses!
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:03 PM   #6
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
My wife specifically wanted a 26mm over a 28mm. It’s the watch she always wished for when younger and also felt it suited her slim wrists better.
RoRoRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
My wife also chose the 26mm.

I matched it with a 41.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 37337506-FFA4-4319-BE79-FC2CC3AE8527.jpeg (271.9 KB, 206 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 04:32 PM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
Having watched TV shows where members of the public present items for valuation or purchase, there are many times when ladies tiny gold ‘cocktail’ watches, of various well known makes are deemed no longer fashionable and valued having no sale value and only worth scrap gold content.
Will there ever come a time when an old well worn 26mm ladies 18ct gold Rolex, with worn out badly stretched gold president bracelet, no service history and no papers, ever be valued at scrap gold value only?
First thing is,1980s watches are considered vintage by the RSC and servicing cost might be about £600, or the watch might not even be accepted for a service.
Second, the restoration of a gold bracelet, with re-pining and soldering tubes into the elongated centre link holes might be more than £800 ? So my question is;- Does the 26mm rolex have a collectors value?
Tiny now by modern standards.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 05:32 PM   #9
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
My wife owns a 26 (TT-jubilee) and 31MM DJ (steel-oyster bracelet). The 26 is her favourite

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 06:35 PM   #10
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

I have been looking at pre owned gold 26mm for my wife, but the online ones on offer seem to be mainly at jewelery stores and as the 26mm has been around a long time, it's difficult to get any answers as to the model numbers. I am aware of the numbers for the 26mm starting 691.. or later models 791..,(5 digits) but recently the reply to my question about the model number of pre owned gold 26mm datejust was.... "6917" (just 4 digits?). That might be perhaps a 1980s watch, yet the photo showed a watch without lug holes for the bracelet bars? How is it that so many pre owned ladies watches just don't have the orginal Rolex certificate?
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:36 PM   #11
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

Stainless steel 26mm date justs are no longer products FYI.. smallest now are 28mm :(
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 12:15 AM   #12
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
I have been looking at pre owned gold 26mm for my wife, but the online ones on offer seem to be mainly at jewelery stores and as the 26mm has been around a long time, it's difficult to get any answers as to the model numbers. I am aware of the numbers for the 26mm starting 691.. or later models 791..,(5 digits) but recently the reply to my question about the model number of pre owned gold 26mm datejust was.... "6917" (just 4 digits?). That might be perhaps a 1980s watch, yet the photo showed a watch without lug holes for the bracelet bars? How is it that so many pre owned ladies watches just don't have the orginal Rolex certificate?
I actually held on to the original receipt and papers for my late ‘80 TT DJ. It was never filled out but I kept them with the case and other documentation. When I decided to go to a 36mm, 3 years so, I took it to AD for trade, which they accepted as I’ve kept the watch in perfect condition. Problem came about when I changed my mind about trading (sentimental value) after I’d purchased the 36mm. They returned my 26mm watch but claimed to have lost the warranty paperwork. I suspect they sold it to a grey seller or used for something in their pre-owned stock but it left me with a very bad feeling about the AD. I wouldn’t recommend them and would never purchased from them again.
Old 3 October 2021, 12:36 AM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartRolex View Post
I actually held on to the original receipt and papers for my late ‘80 TT DJ. It was never filled out but I kept them with the case and other documentation. When I decided to go to a 36mm, 3 years so, I took it to AD for trade, which they accepted as I’ve kept the watch in perfect condition. Problem came about when I changed my mind about trading (sentimental value) after I’d purchased the 36mm. They returned my 26mm watch but claimed to have lost the warranty paperwork. I suspect they sold it to a grey seller or used for something in their pre-owned stock but it left me with a very bad feeling about the AD. I wouldn’t recommend them and would never purchased from them again.
I probably believe them; otherwise they'd have sold the box, too. The warranty paperwork really isn't that valuable because the serial number wouldn't match whatever it was paired with. But who knows...
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 11:18 PM   #14
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post
My wife specifically wanted a 26mm over a 28mm. It’s the watch she always wished for when younger and also felt it suited her slim wrists better.
Same here. My wife wanted the 26mm over the 28, 31 or larger.
returntorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 06:54 AM   #15
Andy355
"TRF" Member

My wife has a 26mm meteorite diamond 2016 rose gold/ steel. Model number is 179171. She rarely wears as prefers her 31mm but it looks lovely and sparkly under bright lights. She asked me to sell it for her but I haven’t got round to listing it yet. Looks more yg on my pic here but it is rose gold/steel
Attached Images
File Type: png BEA8EEEF-F895-4F54-B0B2-1FC5470BB266.png (249.1 KB, 67 views)
Andy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 07:36 AM   #16
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

I went shopping with a friend on Saturday to help her select a watch. She tried 26, 28 and 31 and settled on the 26 as it was what she’d always wanted. Now she’s waiting for right dial.
Old 4 October 2021, 07:39 AM   #17
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I probably believe them; otherwise they'd have sold the box, too. The warranty paperwork really isn't that valuable because the serial number wouldn't match whatever it was paired with. But who knows...
Perhaps, but the comment that he wasn’t sure what might have happened to it between the trade and my return for it made me wonder if the case could have been swapped out.