The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2021, 01:08 PM   #1
mile2424
"TRF" Member

Offered Cellini Moonphase but….

I am not sure if I can part with any of my others. I really do like the Moonphase and think it’s a very beautiful timepiece. I do dress pretty casually overall. The problem is I’m not sure I can part with any of my others at the moment. Blue dial Milgauss, Deep Sea JC, RG Daytona on Oysterflex, RG DD40, and two tone CHNR. I do have a lot of RG in the lineup and would like to add some YG soon. But I don’t think I can keep adding as much as I would like to. If another piece lands, I might have to part ways with a beloved one. Hmmm I guess this is the problem with this hobby and when we are fortunate enough to get the call, sometimes makes for a difficult decision.
mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 01:12 PM   #2
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
I am not sure if I can part with any of my others. I really do like the Moonphase and think it’s a very beautiful timepiece. I do dress pretty casually overall. The problem is I’m not sure I can part with any of my others at the moment. Blue dial Milgauss, Deep Sea JC, RG Daytona on Oysterflex, RG DD40, and two tone CHNR. I do have a lot of RG in the lineup and would like to add some YG soon. But I don’t think I can keep adding as much as I would like to. If another piece lands, I might have to part ways with a beloved one. Hmmm I guess this is the problem with this hobby and when we are fortunate enough to get the call, sometimes makes for a difficult decision.

I don’t think this is a high demand piece. I like the watch but for a classical dress watch with a moon phase I would be looking at other brands. Also if you dress casual all of time recently, there is no hurry to add a dress watch.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 08:53 PM   #3
greeneyedguy
Banned

Its sweet but pretty pricey for what you get. I say if you love it go for it.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 08:54 PM   #4
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

Better dress watch options out there than the chellini. Pass on it.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:01 PM   #5
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
A dress watch from a haute horologie maker would be better imo
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:28 PM   #6
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I think for dress watch I preferred ALS and PP over Rolex.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:35 PM   #7
hoppes-no9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post

Yep. Or Breguet, Chopard, Blancpain, Piaget, VC, UN. Lots of very interesting options.
hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:54 PM   #8
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I really like the reference, and can see your dilemma.
Maybe sell the Milgauss and get it? I love that watch too, so maybe just add? But you also said you want to add YG in the future.
This would kick that can farther down the road, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 09:56 PM   #9
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I really like the Cellini. Tried a few on at an AD in Vancouver while visiting recently. If I was in the market for a dress watch, I would buy it.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 10:38 PM   #10
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

Cellini moonphase is a beautiful watch. It is expensive but comparable or less expensive than entry level dress watches from PP or ALS.
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 11:12 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch but believe that Rolex is out of its element here. So many better choices from JLC/AP/PP just to name a few. Nothing wrong with the watch but if I was looking I would probably look in the YG JLC market, pre-owned. Great value and a lot of respect to JLC as a manufacture.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 01:44 AM   #12
aayates
"TRF" Member

Pre-owned JLC master moon would be my choice.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 01:49 AM   #13
jed11
"TRF" Member

Agree with most here that when considering a 'dress' watch, there are other brands I would turn to. Additionally, I thought I came across a thread on this forum, about how the moonphase functionality (or at least how it is displayed here on this watch) is not the best from an execution standpoint.
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 04:28 AM   #14
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I was offered it by my AD but turned it down as my lifestyle and dress are pretty casual. It is a beautiful piece, however, and doesn't get the attention it deserves. I would like to see Rolex upgrade their Cellini offerings and add an exhibition caseback along with a finely finished movement.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 05:55 AM   #15
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

The Cellini Moonphase is a Beautiful watch.

As stated above, there are other brands … they’re not Rolex !!

As you probably know, the Moon on the watch is an actual piece of a Meteorite … neat.

I’m in awe of the Date Indicator on that watch, every time I look at it … really neat.

My AD tells me the Cellini line is being discontinued, and others herein have confirmed the same, so …

If you like it (I love it), buy it … and with the Moonphase complication, it can be worn casually as well as “dress up”.

I’ve looked at all of them … this watch is as good as those … and you will have the reliability / durability of a Rolex.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 06:07 AM   #16
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
They are usually sitting in the case. That particular model is the most beautiful.

But as other have said, in this price range you can get ALS with open case back or Calatrava.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 06:29 AM   #17
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
You conclude it yourself i.e. you are not ready to part with any of you current watches (which it a fine collection by the way). Also for the price of a cellini moonphase, then I would rather buy a Calatrava
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 07:27 AM   #18
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Maybe a discount on this model?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 09:09 AM   #19
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
It's a beautiful watch, but I agree that there are better choices out there for a dress watch.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 09:10 AM   #20
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I agree.

My AD has had one for about two years
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 12:50 PM   #21
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

Id look at a JLC Master Control with moon phase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 01:50 PM   #22
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
One of the most, if not best dress watch out there! Just hype has not taken it over. That is why there are so many, who otherwise proclaim a Sub as best of the bests, would say there were much better options at Lange, PP or JLC. I wouldn’t call these options better or worse. Thy are just different! Nice to behold, but in a different manner. One day though I am sure, i will be reading posts saying that back in the old days someone had the option to get a Moonphase, as it was readily available everywhere … and then the story goes.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 07:36 PM   #23
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
One of the most, if not best dress watch out there! Just hype has not taken it over. That is why there are so many, who otherwise proclaim a Sub as best of the bests, would say there were much better options at Lange, PP or JLC. I wouldn’t call these options better or worse. Thy are just different! Nice to behold, but in a different manner. One day though I am sure, i will be reading posts saying that back in the old days someone had the option to get a Moonphase, as it was readily available everywhere … and then the story goes.
The problem is it actually doesn’t work very well as a moon phase compared to say a patek moonphase.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 09:47 PM   #24
Becweb
Banned

Would you buy a jacket made by TUMI, who specializes in bags?

The answer to this question will answer your predicament.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 09:54 PM   #25
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

It's a really good-looking watch, although admittedly not what people instinctively go to when they think "Rolex".

But it IS a Rolex. It's built like a tank, keeps great +2/-2 sec/day time, 50M water. It's meant to be worn without worries and can take a beating, has substance and weight to it, which makes it work well casually with jeans and polo etc.

Everyone dismisses it a dress watch, which of course it is, but it's much chunkier, thicker and much more substantial than your standard PP or JLC dresser. Basically it's an oyster case with oyster form. Which gives it a more sport-like presence on the wrist, much more than than a PP 5196 for example.

And yes, it's pricey for a Rolex, but I don't think it's pricey when compared to other dress pieces from PP etc. It has a moonphase and a date hand. A PP with those would be much more. So, not sure it's an apples-to-apples comparison when people consider the price of this vs. PP or other high-end brands.

The other complaint often cited is about the fully exposed moon disk. Rolex simply did something deliberately different here, adding to the uniqueness of the watch. First of all, the disk is all enamel (with meteorite) which adds a deep blue and very pronounced accent on the dial which works well aesthetically.

Second, being exposed means you can always tell where the moon is across its entire cycle, unlike the traditional cleavage approach which during half the cycle you can't easily tell how far along the moon is because it's hidden. So, not a traditional approach, but you actually get more information this way, with much more visually present on the dial.

Finally, it's comparatively unusual and rare out there. Meaning, you will always see a lot of Rolexes in social settings. But you probably won't see this one - and people invariably comment that it's good looking.

It's not for everybody, but if you like it, get it. There's even a decent chance that it will hold its value nicely over the coming years (but you should try to buy with a discount).
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 10:05 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m not putting words in the OP’s mouth, but I think he was eluding to what model should he part with to make room for the Cellini…. Maybe I read it wrong.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 10:06 PM   #27
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
Would you buy a jacket made by TUMI, who specializes in bags?

The answer to this question will answer your predicament.
Hmmm, not sure I would agree with this analogy. Jackets and bags are fundamentally different products. But sport watches and dress watches are not.

Case in point: would you buy an SUV or a 4-door sedan from Porsche?
Old 3 October 2021, 10:19 PM   #28
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m not putting words in the OP’s mouth, but I think he was eluding to what model should he part with to make room for the Cellini…. Maybe I read it wrong.
OK, good point, you got us there . But, I think everybody was simply commenting on the potential benefits of one side of the transaction (moonphase) vs. the obvious (and therefore unstated) benefits of the other side (the pieces that would be traded). The logic being, if value/benefit isn't there, then don't trade, but if it is there, then perhaps consider the trade.
Old 3 October 2021, 10:33 PM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
OK, good point, you got us there . But, I think everybody was simply commenting on the potential benefits of one side of the transaction (moonphase) vs. the obvious (and therefore unstated) benefits of the other side (the pieces that would be traded). The logic being, if value/benefit isn't there, then don't trade, but if it is there, then perhaps consider the trade.
Agreed

In true TRF tradition, adding is always best
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2021, 11:54 PM   #30
Becweb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
Hmmm, not sure I would agree with this analogy. Jackets and bags are fundamentally different products. But sport watches and dress watches are not.

Case in point: would you buy an SUV or a 4-door sedan from Porsche?
You're 100% correct hahah but in your analogy i'd then go exclusively for the 911!
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote