The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 November 2021, 12:31 PM   #1
trippbarrett
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233 c. 1992
Dad’s Datejust - 16233 - AD, Service, Insurance

Hi all,

First time posting, but have spent many hours browsing the forums.

My dad passed earlier this year and I inherited his Datejust (16233). It sat in his nightstand for nearly six months before I brought it home. After about a week, I decided to leave in the care of my local AD for service. Dad didn’t service it in the six-ish years that he owned it.

Long story short, due to snafus beyond the AD’s control (per the AD and RSC), I finally got it back today (4 months and 8 days after dropping it off with the AD).

Thanks to the advice of forum members, I was reading about keeping it as close to original as possible, and canceled all optional services (replacing dial, hands) and am SO glad that I did. Now that this beautiful piece is back in my possession, I realize how lucky I am to see the same dial that Dad’s eyes saw every single day for the last several years of his life.

The Tritium may not illuminate anymore and there is some natural spotting on the hands and dial, but I love it all the same.

All of this to also ask about insurance… I’ve read some conflicting reviews on Jewelers Mutual. I don’t think my renters will cover the full value, and honestly just want a reputable company to insure this timepiece.

I’ve also wondered about Rolliworks’ bracelet service… what do you guys think? Repair the stretching? Keep it as is so as to maintain a vintage look and feel?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
DEE6C6BC-A96C-491C-89A2-4755EB45A878.jpeg
4729A52C-AF2F-47A3-9E51-F015BE1517D0.jpeg
trippbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 01:17 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

My condolences on your father's passing, you have a lovely heirloom to remember him by.

You may be able to add a rider to your renter's policy. Sometimes that's the easiest and least expensive option, and most people already have a relationship with the insurance agent/company. Although it sounds like you're not happy with your insurance company.

It's hard to advise you about the bracelet based on those photos. But my gut feeling is that it's not really in need of restoration; at least I'm not seeing huge gaps between the links.
Old 17 November 2021, 03:19 PM   #3
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your loss. Your pa had great taste.

Bracelet looks fine - it doesn't look like it needs restoration.

Personally I wouldn't insure it, unless you live in a super-high crime area or have particular concerns about losing it. The sentimental value is the main thing here, and you can't insure that.

Self-insure and pass the money you save to whichever family member is lucky enough to inherit this wonderful watch.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote