The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 16 December 2021, 11:25 PM   #1
mdrums
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Panerai Pam of Worms Article

This article points out that the Panerai in house movements are not really Panerai in house and then goes to show proof. This article also covers that Panerai isn’t even manufacturing cases.

I have a Panerai gmt with what is called an in house movement so this article is pretty deflating.
mdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 11:58 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You’ll get a lot of varying opinions on the brand Mike.

I own and wear them for their unique aesthetics, rich history (to many), and unmistakeable wrist presence.

Lots of folks who speak negatively about Panerai will share the view of the writer … and yet oddly, some of them still own the brand though
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 02:05 AM   #3
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
That article certainly hasn't hurt their holding value. Look at Chrono24, C&C etc and you will see that nobody is giving them away cheap. Everybody is asking for top dollar.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 05:47 AM   #4
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
That article certainly hasn't hurt their holding value. Look at Chrono24, C&C etc and you will see that nobody is giving them away cheap. Everybody is asking for top dollar.

Weather people buy their hype or not doesn't really matter. At the end of the day we're talking about a watch with 1.6% of the market. Profit shares are only what people are prepared to pay above costs. Panerai are apparently good at reducing costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:45 AM   #5
mdrums
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies...I have owned 6 Panerai and loved them all. I currently have only 1. Honestly I was looking to add another...thinking of the 47mm Submersible. I am 6'5" 230lbs 8" wrist so I can wear that size no problem but normally do not go over 44mm. My Rolex 43mm Sea-Dweller is perfect for me.

I wanted to get some general opinions because I hate buying something and then a year or so later if I decide to sell it...it has tanked. Pretty much why I've stuck with Ap and Rolex...love they are all in house and extremely high quality.

So just getting a feel of thoughts here...not bashing Panerai.
Old 17 December 2021, 07:14 AM   #6
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
They have been holding their value very well so far. Buy it and if you want to sell it down the road, you will get most of your money back.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 08:49 AM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Plenty of threads on this forum debating the author and whether or not he just a sad guy on a vendetta spouting hearsay or if he might be right about some things. The truth, like usual, is probably somewhere in between.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 09:34 AM   #8
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

I do not mind ETA based movements, what I do not like is the deception.
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 09:55 AM   #9
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
My two favorite Panerai are from an era of OP XI movements. Panerai never had in-house movements, even when the company began they used Rolex. So, today’s narrative that the new so called in-house movements aren’t really in-house is just another twist to what has become a convoluted history.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 10:04 AM   #10
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
Pretty much why I've stuck with Rolex...love they are all in house
Buying the person who makes your movements doesn't make them "in house movements" all of a sudden

Just Sayin
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 10:43 AM   #11
mdrums
"TRF" Member

Yeah the “Executed” part is mentioned on my model now… it has said in house before as you can see Panerai are claiming in house movements in the 2nd link. Who really knows…it’s confusing if they really manufacture any of the watch or are just assembling the watch from parts made elsewhere.

Part of me cares, part or me doesn’t care…as long as the watch is well made and it’s a design and look I Yeah the “Executed” part is mentioned on my model now… it has said in house before as you can see Panerai are claiming in house movements in the 2nd link. Who really knows…it’s confusing if they really manufacture any of the watch or are just assembling the watch from parts made elsewhere.

Part of me cares, part or me doesn’t care…as long as the watch is well made and it’s a design and look I like. The main part for me is the perceived sneaking around trying to obviously hide things like this….that to me is just plain wrong and very bad business for a luxury good.

The main part for me is the perceived sneaking around trying to obviously hide things like this….that to me is just plain wrong and very bad business for a luxury good.
Old 17 December 2021, 10:44 AM   #12
mdrums
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.bolton View Post
Exactly what I was getting at.
Old 17 December 2021, 10:47 AM   #13
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly what I was getting at.

1.6% of watch buyers think you're wrong.

Old 17 December 2021, 11:43 AM   #14
mdrums
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
1.6% of watch buyers think you're wrong.

I honestly hope so. I hope Panerai can get around this but the news is new and we will see what happens down the road. I think they will be fine….
Old 17 December 2021, 12:18 PM   #15
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
From what i've seen of the Paneristi, they dont seem care anywhere near as much as other watch nerds
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 04:56 PM   #16
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You’ll get a lot of varying opinions on the brand Mike.

I own and wear them for their unique aesthetics, rich history (to many), and unmistakeable wrist presence.

Lots of folks who speak negatively about Panerai will share the view of the writer … and yet oddly, some of them still own the brand though
That’s me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.bolton View Post
Me too. I have a decorated eta in my 112.
Old 18 December 2021, 08:52 AM   #17
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I honestly hope so. I hope Panerai can get around this but the news is new and we will see what happens down the road. I think they will be fine….

Yes they will. The marketing story has been false since Richemont took over but the watches are great and the fan base quite rabid. At 1.6% though I believe they are trying to give them a broader appeal with some more regular sized cases. Unfortunately the most angst on this strategy seems to von he from the fan base of the larger models.

Old 18 December 2021, 09:15 AM   #18
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Remember Panerai like many other brands were forced to quickly develop and produce their own movements after the swatch group purchased eta and announced they would no longer be supplying most of the brands that were outside the group.

The brands were forced to f8nd a way forward.

I have had a few and was caught up in the LE craze for a while. For me the brand burned the bridge and then blew up what was remaining.

Personally im still ok with the good ole eta model such as a 111.
Old 18 December 2021, 10:06 AM   #19
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This article points out that the Panerai in house movements are not really Panerai in house and then goes to show proof. This article also covers that Panerai isn’t even manufacturing cases.

I have a Panerai gmt with what is called an in house movement so this article is pretty deflating.
Old news with a very can-of-worms author with a lot of questionable motives toward Panerai that has shown to be far from objective. Been discussed to death on many earlier threads.
Old 18 December 2021, 12:44 PM   #20
mdrums
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Old news with a very can-of-worms author with a lot of questionable motives toward Panerai that has shown to be far from objective. Been discussed to death on many earlier threads.
The article (news) came out November 28…2weeks ago. Not exactly old news. I do not see a thread or discussion about this article on this forum.

I do not know the author but his knowledge and proof show Panerai not exactly telling the truth. It’s sad. I love my Panerai, it runs great and looks like nothing else. I guess that’s all that matters but I believe in truth.
Old 18 December 2021, 01:09 PM   #21
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai Pam of Worms Article

Quote:
The article (news) came out November 28…2weeks ago. Not exactly old news. I do not see a thread or discussion about this article on this forum.
I am not sure you’re talking about the original article, or an article that references the original.

Just to level-set, here’s a reference to the original article:

https://perezcope.com/2021/08/08/pan...-of-worms/amp/

I usually have a couple Panerai pieces in my collection. Right now, I have a PAM 36 (ETA-based) and a PAM 233 (in-house). Not really a fan of the newer pieces, but still recognize them as a solid watchmaker, overall.

Just understand that they are trying to capture whomever they can in the rising attention/interest in the timepiece market.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 05:09 PM   #22
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I do not know the author but his knowledge and proof show Panerai not exactly telling the truth. It’s sad. I love my Panerai, it runs great and looks like nothing else. I guess that’s all that matters but I believe in truth.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=815720

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=817553

I don’t take what I read on blogs as “truth”, just entertainment.

Reading the blog posts in question, one notes the constant references to “I spoke to a collector who told me that….” or “an insider with knowledge confirmed to me that….” (text in quotes being paraphrased). It isn’t at all persuasive, but it entertaining and clearly was done with passion and took time.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 06:18 PM   #23
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=815720

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=817553

I don’t take what I read on blogs as “truth”, just entertainment.

Reading the blog posts in question, one notes the constant references to “I spoke to a collector who told me that….” or “an insider with knowledge confirmed to me that….” (text in quotes being paraphrased). It isn’t at all persuasive, but it entertaining and clearly was done with passion and took time.
We regularly disagree on this as in my opinion Jose is very thorough in his investigation. But, if we’re honest, many brands do exactly the same. Even PP have used other movements. I still love my Panerai 112.