The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2022, 03:07 PM   #1
Beginner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anything ticks!
Question about bracelets - jubilee vs oyster

Hi everyone!

My SkyDs (1 with oyster bracelet and the other with jubilee bracelet) are sized similarly. Both have 2 links removed and are also set at the same positions at the clasps.

The 1 with the jubilee bracelet wears comfortably but the 1 with the oyster bracelet will need to extend the easylink to wear the same.

Is this due to the nature of the jubilee bracelet (more flexible) or is it because the size of the links are different?

Thanks in advance!
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 06:09 PM   #2
RolexPD
"TRF" Member

Your wrist is allergic to the oyster bracelet and, as a result, swells when you wear it.
RolexPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I can't answer your question directly but I will say that both my Sky Dwellers, both on Oyster, needed some fiddling about with to fit me perfectly comfortably. I was considering getting a half link but in the end I managed without. There are many variables, not least wrist size and shape, and what the wearer thinks is comfortable. My next Sky Dweller will be on Jubilee so I'm glad to hear it wears so comfortably - on you at least.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 07:19 PM   #4
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPD View Post
Your wrist is allergic to the oyster bracelet and, as a result, swells when you wear it.
knighty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 08:13 PM   #5
Hashim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I think the oyster bracelet is maybe designed to be a bit tighter than the jubilee. My DJ41 on jubilee and YM40 on oyster have the same configuration, but the jubilee will slide on my wrist while the oyster will remain firm unless I flick my wrist.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 08:18 PM   #6
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
What is the measure internal circumference of the two bracelets with the clasps closed?
Alternately, you may simply put the watches on and gauge the relative differences by inserting your little finger between the centre of the clasp and the underside of your wrist
That will give you all the clues you need
Generally speaking it's most widely accepted that the Jubilee bracelet is more comfortable than an Oyster bracelet, but don't let that prejudice your investigations.
Please report back with your findings so we may all learn the difference
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 10:21 PM   #7
Beginner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I can't answer your question directly but I will say that both my Sky Dwellers, both on Oyster, needed some fiddling about with to fit me perfectly comfortably. I was considering getting a half link but in the end I managed without. There are many variables, not least wrist size and shape, and what the wearer thinks is comfortable. My next Sky Dweller will be on Jubilee so I'm glad to hear it wears so comfortably - on you at least.
This is my first Rolex with a fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. The jubilee bracelet really wears/fits better than the oyster bracelet, at least for me in this combo.

We can compare notes when you get ours!
Old 2 March 2022, 10:24 PM   #8
Beginner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
I think the oyster bracelet is maybe designed to be a bit tighter than the jubilee. My DJ41 on jubilee and YM40 on oyster have the same configuration, but the jubilee will slide on my wrist while the oyster will remain firm unless I flick my wrist.
Yes, I think you have really described what I had experienced - the oyster wears firm. Extending the easylink helps to rectify that issue.
Old 2 March 2022, 10:25 PM   #9
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
The jubilee has some side to side translation and can find the path of least resistance. It is an incredible design with plenty of drain / air flow holes and many points of contact for avoiding sliding when wet. Great bracelets.
Old 2 March 2022, 11:09 PM   #10
Beginner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
What is the measure internal circumference of the two bracelets with the clasps closed?
Alternately, you may simply put the watches on and gauge the relative differences by inserting your little finger between the centre of the clasp and the underside of your wrist
That will give you all the clues you need
Generally speaking it's most widely accepted that the Jubilee bracelet is more comfortable than an Oyster bracelet, but don't let that prejudice your investigations.
Please report back with your findings so we may all learn the difference
Thanks for the awesome idea!

Both internal circumferences measured at 16.7cm (6.6in) with the easylink closed. So it’s interesting for them to wear so differently.

F8FD04E5-7FD6-40E9-BB82-2914FDB77A3D.jpeg
1ED301AB-7D14-4150-89C6-78DC625E45B2.jpeg
Old 3 March 2022, 12:39 AM   #11
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I would think it's bc the size of the links are different?

Did you try adjusting the spring bar in the clasp before wearing with the easy link open?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 12:59 AM   #12
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Watch is too big and is uncomfortable as a result.

I'd recommend 34-37mm references for best fitment.

Classic example of case float. The ends of the lugs are designed to curve around the wrist where the flat top of the wrist begins to curve downward towards the edge. You want about a centimeter of wrist showing on either side of the lug tips from looking at the watch on your wrist from a top-down perspective.

If you're just trying to make the SkyD more comfortable it would be easiest to pop into your AD or watchmaker and just test out different combinations of links or maybe get a rubber strap for it.
thenewrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 08:57 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
Thanks for the awesome idea!

Both internal circumferences measured at 16.7cm (6.6in) with the easylink closed. So it’s interesting for them to wear so differently.

Attachment 1277152
Attachment 1277153
Thanks for the feedback
Interesting they worked out the exact same dimention
It looks like the old rule applies in that the Jubilee is just plain old "more comfortable".
My wife has a Jubilee on hers and just handling it, it appears to be more supple in every respect so I suppose it stands to reason by its design that it has an advantage
Both my DSSD's are Oysters and the older(daily wearer) is more comfortable where as the newer one has noticeably less stretch, which is another factor
Old 3 March 2022, 08:58 AM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
The jubilee has some side to side translation and can find the path of least resistance. It is an incredible design with plenty of drain / air flow holes and many points of contact for avoiding sliding when wet. Great bracelets.
They are a great design indeed
Old 3 March 2022, 09:47 AM   #15
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR (2019)
The jubilee is just much more comfortable than the oyster. If the GMT Master ll didn't come on a jubilee I would be wearing a Samsung watch. Never been able to get an oyster to be comfortable.
D.P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 12:04 PM   #16
Beginner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.G. View Post
The jubilee is just much more comfortable than the oyster. If the GMT Master ll didn't come on a jubilee I would be wearing a Samsung watch. Never been able to get an oyster to be comfortable.
All my other Rolex watches are in oyster bracelets and they wear comfortably.
Just that the SkyD in oyster when compared with that in jubilee needs the easylink to be deployed for it to wear comfortably.
Old 3 March 2022, 12:06 PM   #17
Beginner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
They are a great design indeed
Great look and comfort, with tons of blink factor!
Old 3 March 2022, 12:21 PM   #18
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Oyster very European
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 07:56 PM   #19
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
watch is to big no matter what band you chose not going to feel or look right
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote