The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2022, 05:00 PM   #1
screetz
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Need some help here...

So, in process of purchasing an 116000 black concentric dial from a private seller online. Watch comes with box and papers. Seller says he purchased this from AD in 2020 and has 5 year warranty left. However it has an "M" prefaced serial number meaning production on this piece was 07-08. He is saying he read somewhere "that there's this act whereby high-end watches like rolexes are kept to retain the authenticity gotten from the ones produced in the past....Something like keeping watches from the very first year of production." Is there any truth to this? I am just starting to get wary of this seller. Yes, I know the adage, "buy the seller, not the watch" but I just have never heard this. So, any insight and or advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you!!
screetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 09:31 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
When is the warranty card dated? The serial number is random.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2022, 10:47 AM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Seller doesn’t know.

Modern serial numbers are completely random.

If you don’t know what to look for why are you doing business with a private individual ? That’s about as risky as it can get.

I gladly pay more for a worry free deal with i.e. any of the boutique sellers in the for sale section on this forum.

Just my 2C
Old 5 March 2022, 10:54 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by screetz View Post
. . However it has an "M" prefaced serial number meaning production on this piece was 07-08. He is saying he read somewhere "that there's this act whereby high-end watches like rolexes are kept to retain the authenticity gotten from the ones produced in the past....Something like keeping watches from the very first year of production." . . .!
I have no idea what this guy is saying to you, but the only act seems to be his.

As to the serial number, letter prefix dating is only usable for pre 2010 models. All serials since then can begin with any letter or number, however the digits should be a total of 8, rather than 7 from earlier dates.