The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2022, 11:19 AM   #1
leed
"TRF" Member

Keep or sell my Oyster Perpetual?

Hi Everyone,

I currently own Rolex OP 34 (114200) in black dial. I originally wanted a white dial but they were all sold out and decided to get black dial instead. As much as I love the watch, I think I have a bit of a buyer's remorse as I feel it looks small at times. I have narrowed down to 2 options and wanted to ask folks here what they would suggest:

1) Keep the OP and do a dial change to white dial. Apparently the white dial gives off a bigger dial effect and maybe it's worth a try?

2) Sell my current watch and buy a 36 mm watch. Either Explorer 36, OP36 or Datejust 36. Out of the three, which one would you recommend?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks for reading
leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 11:28 AM   #2
TreyBallNation333
"TRF" Member

don't dial swap just trade up
TreyBallNation333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 11:29 AM   #3
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Sell and buy the bigger watch. Once you’ve seen it as too small, it can’t be unseen. That logic applies to everything. Unfortunately.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 11:43 AM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Compromising always ends up costing you more money in the end. Regroup and buy the watch you really want.
Old 2 April 2022, 12:01 PM   #5
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Compromising always ends up costing you more money in the end. Regroup and buy the watch you really want.
Yep, this
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 12:09 PM   #6
wclowe
Banned

I think you should get a bigger watch vs seeking a dial change…

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 12:23 PM   #7
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Trade up to the bigger watch. Swapping to white won’t make enough of a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 12:29 PM   #8
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Sell it and get the DJ 36 which is a better watch, you will feel the difference.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 12:50 PM   #9
huangsta
"TRF" Member

will you make money on the sale?
huangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 01:34 PM   #10
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Go for the Sub41
mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 01:40 PM   #11
LVx2
Banned

Here’s a size comparison 114200 vs 116000

White dial OP is phenomenal, very special.

114200 is a big 34mm and 116000 a big 36mm.

Double markers on 36 make it seem like a current model. I love these markers.

The 34 is a purist piece.

Both have great advantages over DJs. All brushed bracelet and the way the polished bezel is more framed makes it subtly stand out. The clean symmetry of the no date dial. Fresh white that changes, unlike other DJ white dials, these are a league above.

Go for the OP36 116000 white, sounds like everything you want. It's a bigger watch. However, the incredible purity of the OP34 114200 markers might make a white 34 your best move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 650BA813-45F4-461F-9318-48DB085532A5.jpeg (199.9 KB, 1485 views)
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 01:41 PM   #12
dlrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfserge View Post
Go for the Sub41
How about the YM40 Rhodium
dlrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 01:47 PM   #13
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
2) Sell my current watch and buy a 36 mm watch. Either Explorer 36, OP36 or Datejust 36. Out of the three, which one would you recommend?
Any one of these will be a better option for you than a 34mm black or white dial
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 01:59 PM   #14
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrolex View Post
How about the YM40 Rhodium
No way, not a fan of that watch.
mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 02:37 PM   #15
leed
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone to those responded, I've decided to go ahead and sell it. I am thinking about upgrading to date just 36 mm.

As for selling, is it better to sell privately through chrono24 or sell to someone like DavidSW? I am inclined to sell through chrono24 but I am totally clueless, is it safe?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, this would be my first time I would be selling and I would like to tread carefully
Old 2 April 2022, 02:47 PM   #16
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Sell while it’s hot you don’t want to get stuck with it when hype is gone

htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 02:53 PM   #17
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
Sell while it’s hot you don’t want to get stuck with it when hype is gone

I doubt my model is that hot, although it is selling higher than what I purchased for due to crazy market.

As for selling process, I have my name on Rolex warranty card - do I include that when I sell? I am completely clueless here
Old 2 April 2022, 04:10 PM   #18
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post

Both have great advantages over DJs. All brushed bracelet and the way the polished bezel is more framed makes it subtly stand out. The clean symmetry of the no date dial. Fresh white that changes, unlike other DJ white dials, these are a league above.

Go for the OP36 116000 white, sounds like everything you want. It's a bigger watch. However, the incredible purity of the OP34 114200 markers might make a white 34 your best move.

Completely agree. Both beautiful, flawless pieces, breath-taking in person!
Old 2 April 2022, 04:12 PM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Stop fooling around ...Sub,Sub/Date ,any vintage .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 04:29 PM   #20
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Hi Everyone,

I currently own Rolex OP 34 (114200) in black dial. I originally wanted a white dial but they were all sold out and decided to get black dial instead. As much as I love the watch, I think I have a bit of a buyer's remorse as I feel it looks small at times. I have narrowed down to 2 options and wanted to ask folks here what they would suggest:

1) Keep the OP and do a dial change to white dial. Apparently the white dial gives off a bigger dial effect and maybe it's worth a try?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks for reading
A picture on your wrist would be nice.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 10:35 PM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Make a trade for a 36mm watch and move on.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 10:58 PM   #22
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post

Nice comparison shot! One thing that the light does't fully reveal is that the whites on those particular 34 and 36 dials are different shades.

Personally, I would try and find a used watch dealer with a white 114200 to compare side-by-side. Light dials do indeed tend to wear larger. The dial on that watch is also beautiful - the shade, an eggshell more than a white, is pretty unique. If you like it, then have Rolex swap dials at service. There's also the older Explorer-style white dial, with black 3-6-9, which is great, too (not sure if Rolex gives you the choice between them).

One thing to note: Last generation of OP/DJ wore larger in every size than its current generation counterpart. Yours is more of a 35mm, while the current one is a "true" 36. Of the current generation, my favorite is actually the Explorer, as I've said many times. But it won't wear a whole lot bigger than your watch.

I'd personally go for the OP36 126000 in silver. Wears the largest and the YG markers/hands reflect beautifully on the silver dial. White dial DJ is nice, but only if you're alright with a) polished center link bracelet and b) Roman numeral dial w/o lume.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 11:31 PM   #23
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

You sell it complete with warranty card.
Sell to someone like DavidSW, otherwise you will be waiting months to sell it yourself on the watch forums.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 11:34 PM   #24
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP
One thing you did not tell us if you are a man or woman? I bring this up because you have a small watch now and looking at small watches. This may make a difference in a recommendation in terms of size.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 11:38 PM   #25
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Keep or sell my Oyster Perpetual?

I usually don’t like these shoot from the hip threads. But, I’d say sell it and get on AD list for a 36mm Explorer or if you want a white dial go for the Explorer 2 polar if your wrist allows. the new Airking is 40mm in between the two explorers as well. That would be an excellent 1 watch collection and you won’t really be losing money in the process if you’re savvy.

Selling on Chrono24 is fine. I’ve sold a Tissot on there and it went smoothly.

Just follow the website instructions. Take lots of good photos. Answer questions people send you. And let the website do the work. It’s like a 10% fee depending on how things go down and shipping etc. Selling to a jewelry store will be quick and easy but you’ll likely get about 50% less value than a private sale or 40% less than chrono24.

Include your box/papers/warranty card. Anything without your name and credit card number pretty much. And have an honest description of condition. If you price it accordingly it will sell quickly(1-2 months).

Get to your local AD and get on the list for what you really want. Explorer 1-2 Airking Datejust are all obtainable.
Old 3 April 2022, 12:17 AM   #26
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP
One thing you did not tell us if you are a man or woman? I bring this up because you have a small watch now and looking at small watches. This may make a difference in a recommendation in terms of size.
No worries, I am a man. Always been interested in watches under 40 mm
Old 3 April 2022, 12:21 AM   #27
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I usually don’t like these shoot from the hip threads. But, I’d say sell it and get on AD list for a 36mm Explorer or if you want a white dial go for the Explorer 2 polar if your wrist allows. the new Airking is 40mm in between the two explorers as well. That would be an excellent 1 watch collection and you won’t really be losing money in the process if you’re savvy.

Selling on Chrono24 is fine. I’ve sold a Tissot on there and it went smoothly.

Just follow the website instructions. Take lots of good photos. Answer questions people send you. And let the website do the work. It’s like a 10% fee depending on how things go down and shipping etc. Selling to a jewelry store will be quick and easy but you’ll likely get about 50% less value than a private sale or 40% less than chrono24.

Include your box/papers/warranty card. Anything without your name and credit card number pretty much. And have an honest description of condition. If you price it accordingly it will sell quickly(1-2 months).

Get to your local AD and get on the list for what you really want. Explorer 1-2 Airking Datejust are all obtainable.
Thanks for the input. I am looking into Datejust (126200) at the moment.

It seems that the OP 34 I own command a decent price as it's discontinued. I might be able to use a bit of profit (make more than what I paid for) and use that to fund a new watch.

When I put my name on the list, do I specify exact color/bracelet type or just the model reference? I realize it's hard to obtain these days and I don't want to seem overly picky.

Also, I am worried about being blacklisted as a flipper...am I overthinking it now?
Old 3 April 2022, 12:26 AM   #28
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Nice comparison shot! One thing that the light does't fully reveal is that the whites on those particular 34 and 36 dials are different shades.

Personally, I would try and find a used watch dealer with a white 114200 to compare side-by-side. Light dials do indeed tend to wear larger. The dial on that watch is also beautiful - the shade, an eggshell more than a white, is pretty unique. If you like it, then have Rolex swap dials at service. There's also the older Explorer-style white dial, with black 3-6-9, which is great, too (not sure if Rolex gives you the choice between them).

One thing to note: Last generation of OP/DJ wore larger in every size than its current generation counterpart. Yours is more of a 35mm, while the current one is a "true" 36. Of the current generation, my favorite is actually the Explorer, as I've said many times. But it won't wear a whole lot bigger than your watch.

I'd personally go for the OP36 126000 in silver. Wears the largest and the YG markers/hands reflect beautifully on the silver dial. White dial DJ is nice, but only if you're alright with a) polished center link bracelet and b) Roman numeral dial w/o lume.
Thanks for the input. Question, does OP36 126000 and Datejust 126200 wear slightly different size wise? (Ex. lug to lug, thickness, actual width) White dial DJ looks nice but I hope they have stick dial instead of Roman numeral...otherwise, it would easily be a top choice. What is the reason for not suggesting the White Dial with Jubilee? Do you recommend jubilee bracelet for Datejust instead of polished centre link for other dials?
Old 3 April 2022, 12:48 AM   #29
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
If you have to ask it’s time to sell. I wore a 34mm Date for eighteen years, I loved it but at times it felt small. Now I own Explorer 36 and DJ 36 among others and they feel perfect. Trade up.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 12:51 AM   #30
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post

Concur completely.

I own the same watch you have now, OP. For me, I didn’t notice much of a difference between the 34 and 36 of that generation that made me want to size up. I think that’s different now.

I’m not a fan of the double batons. That may make you hold fast. You may be able to source a white dial in 34. Either way, I hope everybody was helpful and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote