The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2006, 07:51 PM   #1
amanda
Banned

Tudor Chrono question

Firstly, is a Tudor Q ok in the Rolex area? It's kinda Rolex right?

Secondly, I really fancy the Tudor Tiger Chronograph with the white dial. Does anyone know of any online info about Tudor watches? I'd like to know what size dials etc the various models come in, I read somewhere that some of the older cases were smaller than the newer ones!

this is my fav one so far:

Thanks everyone.....
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 07:58 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Any question from you is welcome, Amanda!!

Padi should be along shortly to answer all your questions. Hope you're having a ball on this forum.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 07:59 PM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I owned a vintage early 80's and a mid 90's and the early one had a much thicker case then the new one. Not sure of the newest one and it's case size though.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 08:03 PM   #4
amanda
Banned

yeh i like it here, i feel i can ask any stoooopid question i like... thats a good thing too by the way...

now back to tudors.... how spunky is this one? it's got the daytona bezel thing going on but way cheaper!

Old 13 September 2006, 08:04 PM   #5
amanda
Banned

holy crap thats a big picture, sorry

EDIT Picture resized.
Padi
Old 13 September 2006, 08:04 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

I guess it's spunky enough if you know how to read that bezel!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 September 2006, 08:05 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I owned the same dial layout, but pre Tiger. That watch is just a beauty for sure!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 08:06 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
holy crap thats a big picture, sorry
Nothing to be sorry about....we love that kinda language around here!!

Besides, the watch looks great!!

Old 13 September 2006, 08:06 PM   #9
AJC

Hey Amanda,

Here is the link for the Tudor site.

http://www.tudor.com.cn/

One good thing about the Tudor Chronos is that they have a date feature.

Cheers
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 08:14 PM   #10
amanda
Banned

Very true JJ... I actually use the date feature on my mini-sub, I originally never thought I would

I dont have much surplus $ for a Rolex and I cant see that changing for some time.... but a used Tudor Chrono, I could probably squeeze in. I love Chronos and have been wanting one for ages... so the Tudor seems a good way to go! Matches my mini-sub nicely
Old 13 September 2006, 08:33 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well Amanda the most collectible in the Tudor chrono range are the
pre Tigers with the plastic crystal.Everything then was marked Rolex even the crown pre 1990 they were slightly thicker cases.The only difference between a Rolex and the Tudor name on dial and the movement based on the well tried and trusted Valjoux 7750.But the Tiger and that picture of yours is my favourite colour dial, is still a fine watch in every way built like a Rolex. But with a ETA Valjoux movement and a light single lock oyster bracelet,and from 90s on sapphire crystal Tudor shield on crown.

Ref 79180 big case.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 09:14 PM   #12
Lol-x
Facilitator

I agree I like the 79180 pre-Tiger model. It is like a Daytona in style, but I like it better because of the date feature. The Valjoux 7750 movement is very well regarded as a quality movement.

There are several models available in the Tudor chronograph range. I prefer the plastic crystal.

Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2006, 11:12 PM   #13
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Nice macros James!
Gotta love concentric rings.
Old 13 September 2006, 11:13 PM   #14
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Aw nuts - I didn't think the photos had uploaded, Otis - I just deleted that post. Posting again.
Old 13 September 2006, 11:13 PM   #15
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Ahhh, now we're talking, Amanda!

I picked up this 79170 from a place in Glen Waverley for A$2550:

I prefer the 79170 because, as you will notice, the bezel is not a tachymeter (which I have no use for), but instead it is rotatable and marked 1 to 12, giving it a kinda-sorta multi-timezone function (which I do have use for).

I love the detailing on the subdials!

Maybe this will help you make your decision!
Old 13 September 2006, 11:21 PM   #16
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Incidentally, Amanda, that shop at Glen Waverley has a chrono almost exactly like johnliley's, pictured below, except I believe it's a pre-Tiger:

The shop's business card is at my office - I'll post the details tomorrow.
Old 13 September 2006, 11:25 PM   #17
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Aw nuts - I didn't think the photos had uploaded, Otis - I just deleted that post. Posting again.
Phew.. just had a slight brain spasm there when I thought I didn't actually post anything.... I've been looking at a computer for too long today...

So, again, nice pics! I take it the macro attachment arrived?
Old 13 September 2006, 11:35 PM   #18
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Yeah, it did, but there are problems with both the lenses I ordered. The macro is actually a two-part lens, with an attachment at the front that turns it into a wide-angle lens. The only problem is that the two lenses are stuck together, and I actually had to strip it and take the actual second element out instead of unscrewing the housing. On the other lens, which is supposed to be a 2.5X telephoto attachment, the camera won't focus no matter what I do. I'm taking a few shots tonight, and then sending both lenses back to the guy and seeing is he can send me replacements that work properly.
Old 13 September 2006, 11:49 PM   #19
Otis
"TRF" Member

Damn, that's a pain. You're not alone though, a guy at work bought the wide-angle attachment for his sony & it just ended up blurring the entire picture, vignetting the hell out of it and it was full of chromatic aberrations. I thought it looked kinda cool.
Old 14 September 2006, 12:10 AM   #20
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Only if your name's Man Ray, Otis!

Yeah, it's a pain, but these guys have been pretty responsive via email, and they seem to be pretty on the ball about maintaining their reputation. Besides, that's the risk of ordering something online. Anyway, I'me pretty hopeful we'll get this one resolved right quick!
Old 14 September 2006, 07:04 AM   #21
Otis
"TRF" Member

Therein lies the difference; he made it look good but I just get told it's out of focus!

Hopefully they send you a new bit of kit soon enough though.

Back to the Tudors.... I've found that they still look as impressive in the flesh, and as the guys have said, a well-made watch.
Old 14 September 2006, 09:26 AM   #22
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Incidentally, Amanda, that shop at Glen Waverley has a chrono almost exactly like johnliley's, pictured below, except I believe it's a pre-Tiger:

The shop's business card is at my office - I'll post the details tomorrow.
Here is my other...

JL
johnliley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 10:42 AM   #23
amanda
Banned

Love all these pics guys, really nice watch for sure! It's certainly got me thinking..... if I could pick one up for around the $2500AU mark I could probably keep the mini-sub and have both.
Old 14 September 2006, 10:57 AM   #24
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

OK, Amanda, I found the details. The shop's called Hop-Y, and it's run by a Vietnamese guy called Liem. He's all right, but I took a while to knock him down from $2850, by the end of which I was calling him a robber and he was accusing me of taking food out of his children's mouths.

Anyway, he's at Shop 6, Village Walk, 52 O'Sullivan Road, Glen Waverley (ph: 98868989). Tell him I gave the recommendation, and he'll remember me by my Tudor.

All the best!
Old 14 September 2006, 11:13 AM   #25
amanda
Banned

Quote:
OK, Amanda, I found the details. The shop's called Hop-Y, and it's run by a Vietnamese guy called Liem. He's all right, but I took a while to knock him down from $2850, by the end of which I was calling him a robber and he was accusing me of taking food out of his children's mouths.

Anyway, he's at Shop 6, Village Walk, 52 O'Sullivan Road, Glen Waverley (ph: 98868989). Tell him I gave the recommendation, and he'll remember me by my Tudor.

All the best!

Geez gotta haggle right? Thats part of the fun.... there's one the same as johnliley's black dialed one on ebay at the moment, with a strap and its quite low in price. Do these watches get copied much? I thought not......
Old 14 September 2006, 12:14 PM   #26
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Well, I've even seen copies of Seikos, so I wouldn't put fake Tudors out of the realm of possibility here. Ultimately it would be best to go with someone who's been tried, tested and vouched for by the members here.

I'm not sure if it bothers you all that much, but note that John's Tudor has a Tudor crown and not the earlier Rolex one. If I recall correctly, Lol-x's 79180 has the Rolex crown, and so does my 79170.
Old 14 September 2006, 12:43 PM   #27
amanda
Banned

I spose it still takes a bit of effort to produce a fake watch, so better off putting the energy into a fake that everyone instantly recognises... not sure most people knwo really what a Tudor is hey