The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2022, 01:53 AM   #1
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Looking to Buy Uncommon Rolex Ref For Wife... need Help

So my wife and I made a visit to a new AD (of course they had nothing in stock), the SA was nice enough to show us the pieces they had in their pre-owned section. My wife fell in love with a 29mm Yachtmaster so I am looking to buy one pre-owned because they are now discontinued.

Before I purchase one online, I was wondering if anyone had more information on the Reference 169623. It's a two tone 29mm YM but couldn't find much reviews or information online. Any good/bad reviews I should know about this reference?

Also, what would be a good purchase price for a decent pre-owned one? The AD I visited quoted me 14k for the piece. A quick search on chrono24 shows listings of 6-8k.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am looking to purchase this for my wife's upcoming birthday. Attached below is a pic of the reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (99.2 KB, 1080 views)
HelloMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 02:38 AM   #2
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMelo View Post
So my wife and I made a visit to a new AD (of course they had nothing in stock), the SA was nice enough to show us the pieces they had in their pre-owned section. My wife fell in love with a 29mm Yachtmaster so I am looking to buy one pre-owned because they are now discontinued.

Before I purchase one online, I was wondering if anyone had more information on the Reference 169623. It's a two tone 29mm YM but couldn't find much reviews or information online. Any good/bad reviews I should know about this reference?

Also, what would be a good purchase price for a decent pre-owned one? The AD I visited quoted me 14k for the piece. A quick search on chrono24 shows listings of 6-8k.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am looking to purchase this for my wife's upcoming birthday. Attached below is a pic of the reference.
It’s a very nice watch something to be very aware of on used models of these are poorly refinished bezels.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 02:39 AM   #3
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
It’s a very nice watch something to be very aware of on used models of these are poorly refinished bezels.
Thanks for the response! Can you elaborate on what I should be looking for?
Old 13 May 2022, 02:50 AM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The most obvious is the bezel of a poorly refinished example has the numbers won’t be sharp and crisp. All the edges have a soft rounded appearance.
Old 13 May 2022, 02:56 AM   #5
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The most obvious is the bezel of a poorly refinished example has the numbers won’t be sharp and crisp. All the edges have a soft rounded appearance.
Gotcha! Makes sense for such an older watch. Wish they still made this reference or a YM in 29mm
Old 13 May 2022, 03:00 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Gotcha! Makes sense for such an older watch. Wish they still made this reference or a YM in 29mm
I know the watch you’re looking for and it’s a great looking watch.
Old 13 May 2022, 03:09 AM   #7
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I know the watch you’re looking for and it’s a great looking watch.
Thanks! My other worry is how flimsy or loose those old clasp/bracelets might feel. Such a hard reference to locate in person to try on
Old 13 May 2022, 04:36 AM   #8
farscott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! My other worry is how flimsy or loose those old clasp/bracelets might feel. Such a hard reference to locate in person to try on
No worries on the clasp and/or bracelet. I have worn the same reference 29mm Yacht Master with the steel grey dial for five years. Has been a great watch. I wear it when I ride my bike or want a smaller watch.

It is small enough to fly under the radar, tough enough for anything, and keeps time as well as any modern Rolex. They were not very popular, and I got mine from a trusted seller for under $5k.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 04:45 AM   #9
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
No worries on the clasp and/or bracelet. I have worn the same reference 29mm Yacht Master with the steel grey dial for five years. Has been a great watch. I wear it when I ride my bike or want a smaller watch.

It is small enough to fly under the radar, tough enough for anything, and keeps time as well as any modern Rolex. They were not very popular, and I got mine from a trusted seller for under $5k.
That's a great price and comforting hearing from someone who actually owns/wears this reference! Shopping around and it looks like its around 6-7k which isn't horribly expensive. The AD was asking for 14k...
Old 13 May 2022, 07:49 AM   #10
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD

Here you go - quite common to see them like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 01:41 PM   #11
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
So your AD had a pre-owned version of the rare watch you are looking for and you didn’t buy it and now you you are looking for another example of the rare watch that was right in front of you and you didn’t buy. Do I have this right?
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 01:57 PM   #12
Leicaman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
So your AD had a pre-owned version of the rare watch you are looking for and you didn’t buy it and now you you are looking for another example of the rare watch that was right in front of you and you didn’t buy. Do I have this right?
I’m guessing you didn’t read his comment about seeing some online for around 6 to 7k, whereas the AD wanted 14k
Leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 02:18 PM   #13
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicaman View Post
I’m guessing you didn’t read his comment about seeing some online for around 6 to 7k, whereas the AD wanted 14k
I did see that comment but it sounds like he didn’t buy one of those either so this brings up a lot of questions such as how bad does he want to buy this watch for his wife and why the dramatic price differential between the watch at the AD and the online pricing and also if it’s an uncommon Rolex how does he keep finding them and why does he keep walking away. Genuinely perplexed and curious.
Old 13 May 2022, 02:23 PM   #14
sdlivin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did see that comment but it sounds like he didn’t buy one of those either so this brings up a lot of questions such as how bad does he want to buy this watch for his wife and why the dramatic price differential between the watch at the AD and the online pricing and also if it’s an uncommon Rolex how does he keep finding them and why does he keep walking away. Genuinely perplexed and curious.
Don't be a that guy (had to change that phrase multiple times), if you don't have anything to add in a polite manner, just keep it to yourself. This guy, even if he made a "mistake" in your eyes, is asking for advice. Either give some that is constructive or keep your internet mouth shut.
sdlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 02:49 PM   #15
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlivin View Post
Don't be a that guy (had to change that phrase multiple times), if you don't have anything to add in a polite manner, just keep it to yourself. This guy, even if he made a "mistake" in your eyes, is asking for advice. Either give some that is constructive or keep your internet mouth shut.
You don’t post much here so I’ll talk slow, that’s not how forums work and it’s certainly not how this place works. Questions add to the conversation and keep it going and they also clarify holes in the narrative. And friend have a look in the mirror, there is nothing polite about telling a fellow member to keep their mouth shut. So take a time out, get a hug from someone who thinks you’re important and buckle up. There’s some constructive advice for you.
Old 13 May 2022, 03:38 PM   #16
sdlivin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You don’t post much here so I’ll talk slow, that’s not how forums work and it’s certainly not how this place works. Questions add to the conversation and keep it going and they also clarify holes in the narrative. And friend have a look in the mirror, there is nothing polite about telling a fellow member to keep their mouth shut. So take a time out, get a hug from someone who thinks you’re important and buckle up. There’s some constructive advice for you.
Message me on a pm and we can exchange numbers etc. and have the conversation in person. I don't post much because of dumb shenanigans like this from some of the people here who have nothing better to do than to exactly what you did. Especially when you can't even read the whole post. You're telling me you would pay 7 or 8 grand over what you've seen the watch at on forums/markets etc. just cause it's in front of you at an AD? You must be a grey market dream customer. Genius.
sdlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 04:07 PM   #17
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Gentlemen, play nicely.
OP my Mum has had the tt 35mm for years. It’s around 20 years old, and worn well for a daily. Reliable and bracelet held up.
Old 13 May 2022, 06:02 PM   #18
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quit while you’re behind Kev.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 07:43 PM   #19
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
He's literally seen one at an AD for 2x what its should be priced at and had a quick check online.

He doesn't "keep finding them and... walking away"

If you are perplexed its probably because you have misread the post

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 07:44 PM   #20
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Quit while you’re behind Kev.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 09:21 PM   #21
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Looking to Buy Uncommon Rolex Ref For Wife... need Help

Quote:

Nice reference, had the 16622. Definitely $14K is on the high side. In regards to the platinum bezel they can be refurbished by people like LA Watchwerks (they refinished mine with sandblasted pellets and came out great, paid like $125 or so) so if the piece you pick needs some work on it can be improved or even get it replaced through RSC (more expensive of course). Ask our trusted sellers here (Takuya, Lawrence, Jared, Chase, etc) they can probably source one full set for you for less than $14K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 10:07 PM   #22
dannyp
Banned

OP: Your profile says "New York" but not sure if that means the city or elsewhere in the state. Anyways, there was a C24 listing in Westchester, and in "new" condition (quick Google search suggests it's Tarrytown Jewelers - no personal experience whatsoever so can't comment on dealing with them). Seems like the right combination of condition and price, though.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 10:33 PM   #23
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlivin View Post
Message me on a pm and we can exchange numbers etc. and have the conversation in person. I don't post much because of dumb shenanigans like this from some of the people here who have nothing better to do than to exactly what you did. Especially when you can't even read the whole post. You're telling me you would pay 7 or 8 grand over what you've seen the watch at on forums/markets etc. just cause it's in front of you at an AD? You must be a grey market dream customer. Genius.
Friend, it’s disingenuous to make an offer of peaceful communication after you get in your punches. You know how PM works and how to find me. I read the entire post and here’s the deal as I read it, he finds one in an AD and more than one (“listings of $6K to $8K”) online and he is staring down the deadline of a birthday and still no action. This is curious behavior to me so why not pose the question, it’s a public forum. Also, you say you’ve read a number of my posts and find me antagonistic and yet you step on another guy’s thread to hammer on me without taking your own advice to reach out via PM. This is a forum where we discuss watches and often the behavior around purchasing them and here you are trying to make this about me. And finally, let’s talk about your diminishment through name calling by referring to me as a “genius.” I’ve never bought a Rolex from a grey but I’ve bought an awful lot of birthday presents for someone I love. Rolexes are hard to find, the uncommon ones even more so. None of this is so hard to understand.
Old 14 May 2022, 12:09 AM   #24
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
most women are rough on watches. The gold YM bezel will take a beating and is very difficult to refinish close to factory spec. As mentioned previously, most preowned models have beat up or poorly finished bezels.
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 03:03 AM   #25
scottyg
"TRF" Member

I don't know what your budget is, but I was recently looking for a sport model for my wife, as she has a number of DJs of various sizes and has gone about as far as she can with them. We were at the AD picking up my pepsi and he had a number of exhibition pieces. One was a YM 40mm rhodium with the baby blue tertiary hand. She really liked that one a lot but, as she has small wrists, she felt the 40mm was too large and not "feminine" enough. The AD mentioned that the same watch could be had in a 37mm, but he said they were hard to find. He only had one in his shop in four years. I checked with other local AD's and, well, you know how that goes.

So, I know you said your wife really liked the TT 169623 and, although that one wasn't my wife's or my personal fave, she really thought the YM platform could also work for a female. Did your wife like the aesthetics most, or that plus the smaller size? Larger watches are all the rage these days, and my wife likes the way her 36MM DJ looks on her wrist.

You may want to check out the 37mm 268622, just to see how your wife feels about that one. The 3mm between the 40mm oddly really makes a difference. It is a current reference so you could get one relatively new if you search hard enough. MSRP is $11.6 and since it's not one of the current "hot" pieces, I was able to pick mine up basically one month old for a little over the MSRP plus what sales tax would add. Both my wife and I love it on her; size is perfect even for her small wrist and the blue hand is a nice touch she accessories with. The total cost was certainly under $14k.

Your wife may or may not like that reference at all, just sharing what my experience with my wife and her YM was, and giving you another idea to consider.

---See what I did there? I gave a contrary opinion on a piece someone liked in a non-offensive manner without being rude or snarky, then tried to add something to the conversation to help the OP, or at least offer an idea that may add new insight. The OP may or may not want to consider my idea, but I tried to assist respectfully and offer input as if I were looking the man in the eye, not from behind a computer screen.
scottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 06:24 AM   #26
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Crown and Cal and Bob's each have on listed closer to your price range, but they are steel, not two tone.
Old 14 May 2022, 12:25 PM   #27
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s really not that deep. Take a deep breath and relax. Not every post has to have some kind of secret narrative behind it.

My wife browsed some watches, thought the YM 29mm was nice. We took a picture to do more research on it before throwing 14k at a watch we just discovered. We went home, did research and was curious why there was such a big price discrepancy (eBay has a new unworn for 10k), came to this forum to ask for advice.

Besides the price, I also wanted to make sure the older bracelet/clasp would be comfortable enough for her to wear as a daily before I buy it for her.

Now, I’m not trying to argue but was my post really that hard to comprehend?

Do you actually go to an AD and buy something out of impulse? Do you go and just throw 14k at a watch you just discovered? FYI, I didn’t know the watch was so uncommon until I got home and did more research.

I apologize for being so thorough before I buy my wife her birthday gift…

Old 14 May 2022, 01:27 PM   #28
scottyg
"TRF" Member

The YMs in small scale are awesome and work great for gals looking beyond the DJs. My wife loves her 268622. Do the research, ask the questions, buy the one she loves, enjoy, and don't let trolls derail your enjoyment of the journey to finding "the one" for her.
scottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 12:06 AM   #29
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Also, the matt inside finished areas are very hard to touch up so its looks right.
Beautiful watch for your wife. Hope you find one. I would think 10K used sounds about right. Less than that may have re-finish issues on the bezel or incomplete kits.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 01:01 AM   #30
HelloMelo
"TRF" Member

Found one in a shop near our house so went to go look at it. Any advice on the condition of it? Some say over polished but I can’t tell.

What is a fair price?