The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2022, 11:51 PM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Omega Sales Surge Due To Moonswatch

If you believe the article that is. They are claiming Omega in-store sales up 50% since the Moonswatch release.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ntent=business

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 01:21 AM   #2
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
I can definitely see that happening. One can hate the MoonSwatch, but it must have generated prodigious foot traffic and driven Speedmaster awareness with it…
Old 11 July 2022, 01:25 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Great for business and great for anyone looking to snatch one up for cheaper on the 2ndary market. It is similar to Tudor. Market has a ton of watches pouring into it.

I'm sure the marketing effort increased brand awareness but tbh the new speedy is better than a daytona and much cheaper even at msrp. Perhaps people are just opening their eyes...

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 02:24 AM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Does not surprise me. Rolex has been the king of marketing and for a long time obscured the legacy of other brands. The general public is learning that there are other significant brands out there with real heritage that can rival Rolex.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 06:31 AM   #5
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Had a little stroll down Oxford Street the other morning before work. The MoonSwatch hype train hasn’t stopped yet. You might be able to see, at the front of the queue are the usual suspects. 20 mates from the same street gangs pushing into the front of the queue. So it’s the genuine watch fans at the back and the flippers are the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 09:00 AM   #6
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I'm a passive observer of the Moonswatch madness and not sure I get it, but I find it very interesting. Have always been a big Omega fan so more power to them.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 02:53 PM   #7
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglondon View Post

Had a little stroll down Oxford Street the other morning before work. The MoonSwatch hype train hasn’t stopped yet. You might be able to see, at the front of the queue are the usual suspects. 20 mates from the same street gangs pushing into the front of the queue. So it’s the genuine watch fans at the back and the flippers are the front.

Goodness. Ironically, I was about to wear my Speedy to London, thinking it would be a great under-the-radar pick… now I know it’s more widely-recognized! Thanks for sharing.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 08:16 PM   #8
0-60
"TRF" Member

God I hate it so much lol
Old 11 July 2022, 08:54 PM   #9
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Was in the boutique getting a strap for the wife and observed two sets of guests asking for the Moon(s)watch.
They did something...
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 09:06 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Interesting that a Omega dropped below Cartier in sales volume last year…
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2022, 09:15 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Ok, if sales are up 50% then you must have had some dismal sales to start with. I wonder if that is units or dollar amount? Is that Omega or swatch? Like so many things I think Omega/Swatch have dropped the ball on this and are playing games which further turns me off to Swatch and has started me down the road to being a little put out with Omega. All over a little plastic watch.

Last edited by 1William; 11 July 2022 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 02:18 AM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Ok, if sales are up 50% then you must have had some dismal sales to start with. I wonder if that is units or dollar amount? Is that Omega or swatch? Like so many things I think Omega/Swatch have dropped the ball on this and are playing games which further turns me off to Swatch and has started me down the road to being a little put out with Omega. All over a little plastic watch.
I hear ya William. I'm thinking the WIS folks like you and me were not the target audience for the Moonswatch release and subsequent shenanigans. Seems to me they are trying to hook the younger folks and social medial savy customers and get them (hopefully) to move onto a "real" Omega down the line. Although the situation is annoying to me with the lack of stores and no internet sales (contrary to what they stated initially) it has certainly drummed up a lot of buzz and interest in the brand. In that sense it's mission accomplished.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 05:45 AM   #13
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The BS coming out of the Swatch CEO mouth is just revolting. As if the average WIS fan is willing to go on a wild goose chase around their country to hunt a plastic, overpriced copy of the Moonwatch, give me a break. And my local AD sure as hell isn't selling their Speedmasters like hotcakes right now, maybe Omega should come back to Earth and get the lay of the land on their brand. Just because they were able to ride the wave of unavailable Rolex watches in the past 2 years doesn't mean that the party will keep going on forever.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 06:56 PM   #14
0-60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
The BS coming out of the Swatch CEO mouth is just revolting. As if the average WIS fan is willing to go on a wild goose chase around their country to hunt a plastic, overpriced copy of the Moonwatch, give me a break. And my local AD sure as hell isn't selling their Speedmasters like hotcakes right now, maybe Omega should come back to Earth and get the lay of the land on their brand. Just because they were able to ride the wave of unavailable Rolex watches in the past 2 years doesn't mean that the party will keep going on forever.

This
Old 12 July 2022, 08:43 PM   #15
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Just been standing in line outside the Covent Garden Swatch boutique. Surrounded by sweaty kids buying up all the MoonSwatch’s they can. They ride around on bikes, pushing right to the front to try make £100.

I’m sweet, I enjoy my Mission to Mars. And I also have a proper Omega but I’m trying to pick up a Mission to Mercury for my mate that can never get into the city.

Mental thing is, the Swatch employee’s and security guards know these guys aren’t watch fans. They walk out of there with multiple bags.

I’m a fan of Omega not swatch. But this was a disaster when you see the hood rats buying up these plastic watches.

cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2022, 12:18 AM   #16
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

I am in awe at the effectiveness of the MoonSwatch marketing effort. As I see it, this was intended to generate awareness around OMEGA with the young and “cool” crowd, make the entry-level model (MoonSwatch) hot, and over the next 5-10 years, the real thing (actual OMEGAs) will become aspirational for the new gen.

For too long, OMEGA has played second fiddle. This is a longer-term plan to solve that.

ADs may not be sold out of Speedys yet, but give it time. Teens and 20-something’s who only knew about Rolex are now aware of the OMEGA brand and learning about its models and history.

It is a bit of a bummer to me; as mentioned earlier in the thread, one of my favorite attributes of the Speedy is/was that it flew under the radar in public. I wore it on a dark brown strap for 5 years and it was never once commented on until I threw it on a flashier strap or a bracelet (even then, the comments were “nice watch band”). Not sure that will be the case over the next 5 years.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 05:18 AM   #17
amanbra
"TRF" Member

One data point but my mate who was solely Rolex purchased a moonwatch ss because of this release.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 07:28 AM   #18
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Yea, sorry. I don't believe it. A $200.00 plastic toy does not inspire you to spend 7K on the real thing IMHO
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 09:39 AM   #19
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I've bought several Speedmasters over 30 years of collecting, not to mention Constellations and Seamasters.

I don't believe this article at all. I don't think you see a 50% increase in sales of new Speedmasters, without the vintage shooting up in value.
MILGAUSS88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 12:11 PM   #20
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
The traffic this drove to swatch stores is absolutely insane. Visited two this past Monday and got lucky at both. I watch a non stop barrage of peoples of all walks coming in and asking.

Wildly enough I saw so many collectors I know coming in to see availability. Pretty wild.

I would think if recent Omega sales are up as stated then this could be the only catalyst attribute to it. Can’t see it’s the market - would have happens months up months ago then.

Old 17 July 2022, 12:55 PM   #21
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
Yea, sorry. I don't believe it. A $200.00 plastic toy does not inspire you to spend 7K on the real thing IMHO
Correct.

My personal reaction is that I no longer consider the Speedmaster Professional. I seriously contemplated picking one up, but not any more... not after the release of the Moonswatch. It's a slap in the face of what should be Omega's flagship model. Pity.
Old 19 July 2022, 06:37 AM   #22
djnick
"TRF" Member

Great article just came out

https://www.wired.com/story/how-the-...atch-was-made/
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 03:31 AM   #23
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
A few months ago I began shopping for a watch for my son's college graduation gift and since Rolex AD's did not have watches for immediate sale I considered the Omega brand.
To me the Moonswatch harms the integrity and image of the Omega brand.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:16 AM   #24
Cassidyanne
Banned

Of course in-store purchases are up 50%. Many stores were still closed or restricted entry as a result of Covid restrictions worldwide.
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 08:58 AM   #25
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Given the success of the Moonswatch campaign, what classic watch will Swatch try next?
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 09:13 AM   #26
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
My Omega purchases are up 100%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Omega fam1red.jpg (264.7 KB, 453 views)
Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 10:02 PM   #27
Wayne Keene
"TRF" Member

Oh my good lord. 😍
Wayne Keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 06:17 AM   #28
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Moonswatch: not for me.

Queuing for one to sell - I’d rather sell my ass.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 02:20 PM   #29
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Ironically, Cartier moved into the #2 spot ahead of Omega. Omega fell to #3. So I guess the question is, did the MoonSwatch really have any sort of a positive impact on sales for Omega?

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 03:50 PM   #30
Seo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Ironically, Cartier moved into the #2 spot ahead of Omega. Omega fell to #3. So I guess the question is, did the MoonSwatch really have any sort of a positive impact on sales for Omega?

Valid question.

Whilst creating more moonwatch fans maybe they cheapened the brand.

Seo is offline   Reply With Quote