The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2022, 12:11 AM   #1
saudi
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Introduction & My Experience

Hello, New member here, wanted to introduce myself and talk about my rolex experience.

i’m mainly a car enthusiast, however in early 2021 i started getting more into watches and understanding them, at the time i had 0 knowledge about watches, movements, etc.. the only watches i have are a chronograph swatch and a breitling superocean that i received as a gift 10 years ago, here i am 1.5 years later looking to buy my first rolex my ad experience is as follows:

I walked into the store, was greeted, asked SA about availability, nothing for sale, he only had a TT lady DJ i could try to get a general feel of it, from my research online what i was interested in were the explorer, sub, and DJ, basically how it works here is that professional models are “wishlist” watches. you’re required to fill out a form with your info, profession, why you want the watch, etc along with that they require a business card about you, or more like a job CV then they send your application (per the SA’s own words) to the general management of the rolex AD to asses it and you will receive the call when it arrives. 1-2 year wait for sub and explorer. The datejust doesn’t require any of that but theres still a minimum 2 month wait for any configuration you request, i took his info and left to think it over.

fast forward 1 week, i decided on a configuration for a DJ36 i wanted so i called 3 different stores all owned by the same AD and within a couple blocks radius of each other, i asked about explorer/sub was told the above again, for the datejust it varied by store and all were inconsistent of what i was told in person, store #1 said 6 month minimum wait, store #2 said theres no specific time frame he can give, you wait until it gets here might be a day or a year, store #3 is the one i visited said 3-4 month wait.

my issue is that why is every store inconsistent with what they say even though its the same AD? Why am i being told different things on the phone and in person? the inconsistency & change of words is off putting if im being frank, i still love the brand and what they stand for in terms of horology, and i want to be a owner of one, however their business module needs to be changed thoroughly. im just a regular bloke that works in banking, not a prince nor do i come from oil money , at last i decided im gonna spend a tad bit extra and get what i want from grey, even though when i was doing research and lurking i was supportive of people who said dont buy grey.

Thank you for hearing me out and may i hope you enjoy me sharing my watch purchases here over the years, cheers
saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 02:22 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudi View Post
. . .
my issue is that why is every store inconsistent with what they say even though its the same AD? Why am i being told different things on the phone and in person? the inconsistency & change of words is off putting if im being frank, i still love the brand and what they stand for in terms of horology, and i want to be a owner of one, however their business module needs to be changed thoroughly. . . .
Rolex doesn't have much to do with how an individual Dealer builds their business model, they are independent businesses. Some franchise names can be owned by completely different people.

Not sure about your area, but Rolex contracts generally have a clause that does not allow sales staff to negotiate over the phone or by e mail. In person will almost always be a different discussion.
Old 22 July 2022, 02:53 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 03:18 AM   #4
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
A few guesses. 1. The three stores may all have the same owner but maybe they don't get an equal amount of watches. 2. Any timeline is just an approximation and they likely prioritize people who also buy less desirable models.

These ADs don't want regular blokes, they want continual cash flow.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 03:22 AM   #5
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Welcome! Experiences will vary and theres no set rule on how it'll go everytime. Best to find the shop you're most comfortable with and go from there. Good Luck!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 03:32 AM   #6
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum ! The demand is very high for these watches! It's your money and buy what you like ! Good luck with your watch venture!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 03:39 AM   #7
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Hmm. Maybe get a new business card, and add the title “Prince” to it and maybe you’ll get a different treatment? J/k
samgobigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 03:48 AM   #8
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgobigs View Post
Hmm. Maybe get a new business card, and add the title “Prince” to it and maybe you’ll get a different treatment? J/k
To the OP: Welcome to TRF! To Samgobigs… naw, that doesn’t work, I already tried it.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 03:52 AM   #9
Brandband
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm sure you'll love it here too.
Brandband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 05:36 AM   #10
Jedahl
Banned

Welcome to TRF
Jedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 06:26 AM   #11
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Welcome Saudi. Post some pics when you get the watch. Do not blame you for going grey. Many take that route to avoid the hassle. Remember to buy the seller, not the watch.
Old 22 July 2022, 11:47 AM   #12
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I would absolutely refuse to provide a CV, resume, business card etc. Thank god my SA already knows enough about my job from casual conversation over a 4 year period.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 12:10 PM   #13
Moka-Tiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: The 1 on my wrist
I am glad that you got what you wanted and it's on your wrist now, rather than 2-4 months or 6 months maybe later or even 2 years later. I am a believer in grays when necessary. Most here are don't share the same view as me, but grays have served me well both before and during the "big price explosion". I refuse to play AD games and waitlists, name cards, CVs, and buying unnecesary jewelry that ends up costing more than the grays' premiums. Glad you joined the club and welcome to the forum. And enjoy your watch too, already on your wrist.
Moka-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 01:19 PM   #14
samgobigs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
To the OP: Welcome to TRF! To Samgobigs… naw, that doesn’t work, I already tried it.
You also have to pay an actor to follow you throughout the store. Have them address you as “your Royal Highness” every time they want to speak to you.
samgobigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 01:34 PM   #15
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgobigs View Post
You also have to pay an actor to follow you throughout the store. Have them address you as “your Royal Highness” every time they want to speak to you.
If only I had known
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 03:49 PM   #16
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Welcome to TRF! Please post pics of your watch when you get it!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 09:28 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote