The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2022, 12:55 AM   #1
Slurve30
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
114270 Stopped Running With Full Wind

My trusty 114270 has abruptly stopped running and is going to head in for warranty service (last serviced 18 months ago so still under warranty).

With a full wind, it stopped running on my wrist after about 2 hours yesterday. It restarted itself after I fiddled with the crown a little bit, but stopped running after just 30 min of use this morning. Winding is smooth but has resistance as I'm assuming the watch is fully wound.

I guess my question is, before I can get this to a service center, is there something I should do to protect the movement? Should I pull it out to hacking or should I leave the crown screwed in normally? I'm a little worried that since it is fully wound the watch is trying to move but something is obstructing it.

Thanks all for your input.
Slurve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 01:04 AM   #2
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Pull the crown out stopping the movement and take it to the watch doctor :)
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 02:04 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurve30 View Post
. . .

I guess my question is, before I can get this to a service center, is there something I should do to protect the movement? Should I pull it out to hacking or should I leave the crown screwed in normally? I'm a little worried that since it is fully wound the watch is trying to move but something is obstructing it.

What are you protecting your movement from?

It is unlikely that there is much that can be affected either way. Hope you get it squared away could be almost anything if you are sure it is fully wound.
Old 9 August 2022, 03:10 AM   #4
dannyp
Banned

Personally, I wouldn’t pull out the crown, especially in transit. The service warranty is in effect and should cover this and any resulting internal wear issues. However, let’s say your package somehow gets wet in transit, and arrives with the crown open and water inside, that’ll become the proximate cause of all damage.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 04:47 AM   #5
Slurve30
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Thanks all for the comments.

Watch is definitely fully wound. Gave it a good 40-50 turns, plus wore it to the mall where there was plenty of walking when it just stopped after 2 hours. I haven't been able to get the watch re-started since it stopped again this morning.

I'll leave the crown screwed in while it's in transit. The point about avoiding debris/moisture in transit is a good one and the service warranty should cover any current/additional wear.
Slurve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 09:46 PM   #6
DM101
"TRF" Member

Happened to my 114270 (Z-series) 7 years back which is not my daily beater -brought it to RSC and the counter staff did "something" fiddling with the crown after I told him the issue and now is still running perfect ever since.

Not the watch repair guy - the counter staff :-) he seems to know there is such an issue with this model i.e. stopped after 2 hours fully wound what you experienced.

I did not know what he "did" with the crown. Some hidden technique I presume for this model
DM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 09:54 PM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurve30 View Post

I appreciate your concern for preventing any further damage but Tools has basically covered all there is to realistically consider
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote