The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 September 2022, 09:03 AM   #1
lis
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Hodinkee and Tiffany Rolex watches

I love Hodinkee and read their stories regularly. I also love to look at their vintage watches on offer. Given their expertise, I'm always surprised when I see them sell -- at a huge premium -- a Rolex "Tiffany" branded watch without papers. It seems commonly accepted that without papers, one simply doesn't know if it's real or a doctored dial.

Their latest on sale is this:
https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...9739-on-oyster
lis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2022, 03:19 PM   #2
1675-David
"TRF" Member

This watch has been discussed before.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=869510
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2022, 10:30 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

IMO, Hodinkee and virtually every other dealer will sell anything they can get away with, including these Tiffany dials, blueberry inserts, etc. As long as nobody can absolutely prove that they are selling something fake, they will happily take your money, which is pretty much all they care about.

Also, I'm not sure what leads you to think that people at Hodinkee have a particularly high level of expertise about vintage watches, it's a magazine (generating ad revenue), an influencer, a PR machine, an insurance broker, and a general retail shop for watches. Compared to at least a dozen experienced dealers with specialized knowledge, and many of the people who weigh in on the forum, Hodinkee's expertise seems to be quite shallow, and I frequently see embarrassing errors in their listings.
Old 1 September 2022, 10:53 PM   #4
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yup dealers just want the $$$$…….and there’s an idiot born everyday……no way to prove its real and still wants 44k lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2022, 10:59 PM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
IMO, Hodinkee and virtually every other dealer will sell anything they can get away with, including these Tiffany dials, blueberry inserts, etc. As long as nobody can absolutely prove that they are selling something fake, they will happily take your money, which is pretty much all they care about.

Also, I'm not sure what leads you to think that people at Hodinkee have a particularly high level of expertise about vintage watches, it's a magazine (generating ad revenue), an influencer, a PR machine, an insurance broker, and a general retail shop for watches. Compared to at least a dozen experienced dealers with specialized knowledge, and many of the people who weigh in on the forum, Hodinkee's expertise seems to be quite shallow, and I frequently see embarrassing errors in their listings.
Took the words right out of my mouth, Dan. Couldn't agree more. Hodinkee doesn't impress me at all and I'd never buy from them. Still, some of their reviews of new watches are interesting to read.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 12:13 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth, Dan. Couldn't agree more. Hodinkee doesn't impress me at all and I'd never buy from them. Still, some of their reviews of new watches are interesting to read.
I agree with Dan and Swish. I do not frequent Hodinkee and do not use them as a source for Rolex related matters. Sorry, it's not for me.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 08:11 AM   #7
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post

Agreed…. Plus at that price there better be a punched Rolex paper with Tiffany listed as officially AD.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote