The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 September 2022, 08:03 AM   #1
TheRtHonA
"TRF" Member

Incoming – a little bit of gold & collection update

This incoming post has been a little bit delayed but I thought better late than never. I thought I would combine with a state of the collection and some thoughts on what I want next (the hobby never ends)!

I finally received the Bluesy after lusting after it since last year and requesting it formally a few months ago! I have now worn this piece for several weeks and I am absolutely in love with it. The blue sunburst dial with gold and steel is just fantastic in person. The gold also adds some weight to the watch and it just feels perfect!

My current Rolex collection consists of an Explorer II Polar 16570, Oyster Perpetual 41 Turquoise Dial and Oyster Perpetual 39 Rhodium Dial.

Explorer II 16570 Polar: this is where it all starts and the Explorer II is an absolute gem to me and won’t ever leave the collection. I bought this on holiday in Greece in 2018 brand new from an AD with a 5-year warranty. Apparently, it had been sat in the shop / safe for 7 years (side note: Greek ADs always seemed to have pieces that were discontinued previously many years after the fact, I saw a 36mm turn-o-graph in 2019). I even managed to negotiate a discount of €400 on it (though the process took several days).

Oyster Perpetual 39 Rhodium Dial: This is the Rolex that got me into Rolex back in 2015 (or 2016, who knows, the years all merge into one at this point). I bought this one in Cape Town in 2019 at the start of my holiday (with a discount and VAT refund; those were the days!) and then had to wear / transport the watch through South Africa. I left South Africa with the watch and in one piece having had one of the most enjoyable holidays of my life!

Oyster Perpetual 41 Turquoise: this is the watch I wore on my wedding day and my wife and I have a matching set (41mm and 31mm) which were our wedding gifts to each other. Not sure there is much else to say apart from some photos below!

I absolutely love the collection I have managed to acquire but I feel that with 4 Rolexes and specifically 2 Oyster Perpetuals there is a little overlap. Whilst I love my OP39, I feel that it no longer gets worn or used as much as the other 3 watches. The other three watches almost form a perfect Rolex collection (at least in my own mind): two-tone submariner, 41mm OP and explorer II. There is a 5 digit, 6 digit, gold, steel, date and no-date and plenty of colour (which I love most of all). I am inclined to move the OP on at some point.

Looking forward, there are other brands I love that I will add ahead of a new Rolex and am picking up a JLC Reverso Tribute Duoface in steel (for Christmas) and would like to pick up a Breguet Classique as well (exact model to be determined, cannot decide if I want plain and simple or a moonphase). At some point I would love to add another Rolex (which would likely be the final one –don’t laugh or hold me to it) which would be an oysterflex Daytona 116515LN (rose gold, sundust dial with baguettes) or 116518LN (champagne and black subdials).

Otherwise, it has been an absolute pleasure reading the forums for the last few years!

Some pictures below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16570.jpg (261.6 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 124300 + 114300.jpg (200.0 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 124300 + wife v2.jpg (239.2 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 124300.jpg (261.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 126613LB 2.jpg (187.2 KB, 364 views)
TheRtHonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 08:07 AM   #2
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Congratulations and a great post! Love to see people enjoying collecting!
Old 2 September 2022, 08:25 AM   #3
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Congratulations, nice collection! Keep the OP, its discontinued and you may want to pass it down to a future child one day.
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 08:32 AM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

That's a nice collection you've got yourself. Congratulations.

I have the 42mm Polar, which is the Rolex that kicked it all off for me. It was supposed to be my last watch, a decent one to top off my little collection. The best laid plans...
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 08:39 AM   #5
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Very nice, congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 09:20 AM   #6
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Congratulations, and wonderful collection!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 11:30 AM   #7
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

Congrats, cool collection
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote