The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 September 2022, 01:53 AM   #1
CharliesPal
"TRF" Member

Brand/Watch History

How much does a brand and/or a particular watch's history factor into you actually buying a watch ? 

I recently was pondering getting a Cartier Must "Tank" but in the end went with a similar styled but IMO more modern looking and versatile  Oris Rectangular 01 561 7783 4065 -07 5 19 17 which I placed on an aftermarket strap.

Oris is of course a brand with its own share of history if not the model and the quality of this watch has impressed me tremendously. In short, I don't feel I compromised for a cheaper watch, I chose a cheaper watch based solely on the fact that I actually liked it better after having handled both. 

In the past I have bought other watches that had a wealth of brand and model history based on this alone as I was at that time ''set'' on getting the classics... only to be dissapointed and later sell the watch. Now I am a strong advocate for buying what you like regardless of brand, history or price point though I do have an appreciation for brand and model history, don't get me wrong...it just would no longer be a determing factor in a purchase.

Last edited by CharliesPal; 20 September 2022 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Posted in the wrong forum doh
CharliesPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 02:01 AM   #2
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Both a lot and not much really. The watch comes first and this can be enhanced by history. Eg my Speedmaster Professional. Sometimes the history can cancel itself out too though. My Rolex Explorer and the false claims made by Rolex in the past about Rolex being first to Everest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 03:33 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Interesting question.

Brand and brand history are important to me. Watch collecting to me is both buying what I want to own and wear but also enjoying the journey of the history of horology.

Vacheron and Glashutte Original are two brands with tremendous history, tradition and innovation yet manage to be left (mostly) out of the hype that is ruining watches today.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 11:12 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I've been looking at vintage Eterna watches lately, mainly because of the brand history, which seems largely overlooked. Just trying to find a 1960s Eterna Matic that I like the look of and that is in good condition.
Old 20 September 2022, 01:45 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
For me it’s aesthetics, comfort, then how I feel about the brand/watchmaker. Ideally my watches fulfill all 3 but a brand doesn’t have to be well established per se just has to pique my interest.
Old 20 September 2022, 01:48 PM   #6
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
What does brand/model "history" mean exactly (rhetorical question)? I hear this "brand history" concept quite a bit in collector circles, and I think people confuse "age" with "history." If a brand exists for a long time without doing anything significant (I won't name names), you can hardly call that "history" worth anything.

On the other hand, a newer brand like Urwerk, who arguably revolutionized avant garde watchmaking and sparked an independent revolution have an incredible history despite only being around for 25 years.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 12:23 AM   #7
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
People should always buy what they like. I would never buy a watch I didn't like, just because of brand history or the history of a particular model.

However, I think history adds an interesting element to a watch (brand/model). It seems to resonate with many collectors whether it's the GMT Master was invented for PAM AM pilots who flew international routes, the Speedy Pro was the official choice of NASA after rigorous testing and has been to the Moon, or Gerald Genta's inspiration for the RO bolts was a diving helmet, and he supposedly designed the watch in a single night after a phone call from Georges Golay of AP, etc. These are great watches all on their own, but the history adds something that distinguishes them from competitors. Over the years many nice watches have been made without any history, but lots of them are largely forgotten because there is nothing particularly memorable about brand/model.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 12:37 AM   #8
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Brand matters to me because I have this romantic notion of owning a collection of watches for the long haul, seemingly becoming almost an extension of myself, and eventually passing those down someday. In this romantic dream the brand has to give me confidence that they will still be around 100 years from now to service the watch. Basically, just Rolex. But I also own Lange and Breguet because every rule one sets for watch collecting is just a rule meant to be broken.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 12:41 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
For me it always starts the same … I have to love the aesthetics. Next, I have to feel like there’s good value. If that’s the case, I’m likely a buyer and if there’s a cool backstory, it only enhances the pleasure of owning
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 03:09 AM   #10
dannyp
Banned

On the other hand, some “histories” give me pause. For example, certain IWC pilot models, as I’ve said before, turn me off as they were (since changed) proudly described as modeled after the watches designed for the Luftwaffe. That IWC was a supplier is what it is (many were) but I don’t feel the need to walk around in that design, and consider the decision to call out the association in a positive way questionable.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 11:27 AM   #11
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesPal View Post
Now I am a strong advocate for buying what you like regardless of brand, history or price point though I do have an appreciation for brand and model history, don't get me wrong...it just would no longer be a determining factor in a purchase.
Well said!
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 12:40 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Do they have excellent customer service? Since i wear 'em it's pretty much a top list item... except for inexpensive 'toy' pieces where it works until it doesn't. Those 100+ year fables are nice, but how many still have the same owners while maintaining / increasing craftsmanship?

We also need to realize there are 'new' companies / independents that are far more creative than old-timers who are weighed down by their past.

Overall, it's great we have so many choices. It wasn't this prosperous just 20 years ago for holorogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesPal View Post
In the past I have bought other watches that had a wealth of brand and model history based on this alone as I was at that time ''set'' on getting the classics... only to be dissapointed and later sell the watch. Now I am a strong advocate for buying what you like regardless of brand, history or price point though I do have an appreciation for brand and model history, don't get me wrong...it just would no longer be a determing factor in a purchase.
^^ this
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 12:59 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There are hundreds of fashion watches that are little more than throw away pieces. There are also brand-names that are little more today than that name where the original company along with its horological history are long gone.

You can buy what you like, but you should know what you are getting.