The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 October 2022, 11:22 PM   #1
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Query: Frosted vs NAC finish on Romain Gauthier movement

Anyone has a chance to handle both type of movement finish on a Logical One? It seems like the frosted gold finish makes the beveling "shines" more but the stealthy look of the NAC is what I preferred.

I know it is a personal preference but afraid if I pick NAC, it would make the movement less enjoyable.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:47 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
RG watches (maybe except the Continuum) are exceptionally well finished by hand and I will choose the frosted finish for a better contrast. If I have access to a retailer, I will buy every metal of the Insight Micro-Rotor.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 03:55 AM   #3
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
RG watches (maybe except the Continuum) are exceptionally well finished by hand and I will choose the frosted finish for a better contrast. If I have access to a retailer, I will buy every metal of the Insight Micro-Rotor.

That’s exactly my thought. The frosted gold has more pocket watch feel to it and shows off the finishing better. I am contemplating the NAC because I am going with a white enamel dial and the contrast to the dial may be better with a dark finish.

Also, my AD is hinting to me that he may have a few special incomings in frosted gold.

You don’t need a local AD just email RG himself.
Old 9 October 2022, 09:30 AM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
That’s exactly my thought. The frosted gold has more pocket watch feel to it and shows off the finishing better. I am contemplating the NAC because I am going with a white enamel dial and the contrast to the dial may be better with a dark finish.

Also, my AD is hinting to me that he may have a few special incomings in frosted gold.

You don’t need a local AD just email RG himself.
I did contact them 3 times using their website contact submission form but I did not hear from them. My questions were for the Insight Micro-Rotor and I have mentioned my location in the message and that I have no access to a RG retailer. Anyway I'm heading to Kobe this December and will ask the store directly then. Hope there are still stocks.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 11:06 AM   #5
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

All of Romain’s finissage is excellent, but the grainage (frosting) is typically reserved for his platinum pieces. As others have said, the grainage, which is hand applied using an abrasive paste, provides the best contrast with RG’s exquisite anglage (beveling). There is no bad choice, but I am delighted with the frosting on my Gauthier.
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 02:27 AM   #6
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I did contact them 3 times using their website contact submission form but I did not hear from them. My questions were for the Insight Micro-Rotor and I have mentioned my location in the message and that I have no access to a RG retailer. Anyway I'm heading to Kobe this December and will ask the store directly then. Hope there are still stocks.

I am surprised. A friend contacted him about a month ago and was able to put down a deposit for an Inscription Freedom.
Old 10 October 2022, 02:32 AM   #7
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
All of Romain’s finissage is excellent, but the grainage (frosting) is typically reserved for his platinum pieces. As others have said, the grainage, which is hand applied using an abrasive paste, provides the best contrast with RG’s exquisite anglage (beveling). There is no bad choice, but I am delighted with the frosting on my Gauthier.

Thanks for the feedback. This is consistent with my understanding and everyone’s opinion.

I guess it is really coming down to what I like most. The dark aesthetic or the “nicer” contrast on the movement.
Old 10 October 2022, 08:18 AM   #8
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Frosted I guess is more what he's known for. There were some macros that did show a little bit of sloppiness (VERY relatively speaking) with the frosted finish. I'm a bigger fan of the NAC contrast, looks great on the/your 101. When I was thinking about a voutilainen design I know his classic preference is the frosting but I personally like Geneva stripes even tho every brand does that.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 11:08 AM   #9
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Frosted I guess is more what he's known for. There were some macros that did show a little bit of sloppiness (VERY relatively speaking) with the frosted finish. I'm a bigger fan of the NAC contrast, looks great on the/your 101. When I was thinking about a voutilainen design I know his classic preference is the frosting but I personally like Geneva stripes even tho every brand does that.

I am actually planning for ruthenium finish on the Vingt-8.

But know is having second thought as I don’t want every piece to have the dark finish movement.