The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 March 2023, 01:14 AM   #1
Rascal
"TRF" Member

Rolex Aqua (not Solar Aqua)

Hi all,
I'm trying to get any information I can on my fathers Rolex. It was gifted to him for his 21st birthday from his father in 1959 in Melbourne, Australia and has now been passed to me. I've tried my best but information in this model is scarce so I'm hoping some experts on here may be able to shed some light.

As far as I can tell, these Aqua (not Solar Aqua) were assembled for the Australian market using a 10C, Cal 710, 15 jewel movement.

Any information on if it would be worthwhile restoring, and approximate cost to do so would also be much appreciated. Obviously the case will need a re-dip, but thankfully the movement appears to be in excellent condition, although I imagine the mainspring needs replacing as it winds forever.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3107.jpg (291.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3120.jpg (278.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3113.jpg (273.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3122.jpg (287.3 KB, 138 views)
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 09:05 PM   #2
Rascal
"TRF" Member

Info found

Information from a Timezone forum in 2008:
"In an effort to raise money to finance the war effort many countries would charge very high tariffs on the importation of luxury goods. To avoid these tariffs, Rolex would ship uncased watches to foreign markets where they were assembled in cases made under contract for Rolex by a domestic case manufacturer. The arrangement was so successful that after the war Rolex maintained their relationship with many of these case manufacturers. In terms of numbers the most prolific of these manufacturers was Dennison in England. However, Rolex also used many other manufacturers, such as Shackman in England and Handley in Australia."

Here's some information in regards to what was probably Australia's largest case maker of the time; J W Handley in Melbourne. It's an interesting read and goes a long way to explain what a Rolex movement is doing in these cases. Although, it doesn't explain why a case back with key grooves like mine (and a few others I've seen) is stamped Rolex, as they were not a Rolex product?
Old 19 March 2023, 08:41 PM   #3
Rascal
"TRF" Member

watchuseek
/threads/handley-tilley-j-w-handley-watch-case-info.1056809/#post-29765641[/url]
Old 19 March 2023, 09:30 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Information from a Timezone forum in 2008:
"In an effort to raise money to finance the war effort many countries would charge very high tariffs on the importation of luxury goods. To avoid these tariffs, Rolex would ship uncased watches to foreign markets where they were assembled in cases made under contract for Rolex by a domestic case manufacturer. The arrangement was so successful that after the war Rolex maintained their relationship with many of these case manufacturers. In terms of numbers the most prolific of these manufacturers was Dennison in England. However, Rolex also used many other manufacturers, such as Shackman in England and Handley in Australia."

Here's some information in regards to what was probably Australia's largest case maker of the time; J W Handley in Melbourne. It's an interesting read and goes a long way to explain what a Rolex movement is doing in these cases. Although, it doesn't explain why a case back with key grooves like mine (and a few others I've seen) is stamped Rolex, as they were not a Rolex product?
That is a really interesting read
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote