The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2023, 01:51 PM   #1
ParkerLewis76
"TRF" Member

Deepsea challenge anyone? Advice/sell?

Hello all!

Being a 6'11", 270 lb. guy with a 8.5" wrist, the Deepsea Challenge in all of it's 50mm is in my sights to be my very first Rolex!

For all of you out there, what are your thoughts on where pricing will go on it now that Rolex didn't discontinue it and more are coming off the line?

I passed on one here in Los Angeles the other day for 34K that sold yesterday, and a few others I have heard about selling in the last week or 2 have sold for around 34.5K.

I don't want to buy on the downward trend, as these large watches (48mm+) most always end up being available down the line for less than retail, but I also don't know where the market might go, hence me writing this.

Have read a lot of mixed reviews and mixed forecasts on it.

Any advice or inside track info would be greatly appreciated!

And if anyone out there is considering selling one, let's talk!

Thanks all!

PL
ParkerLewis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 02:58 PM   #2
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Go to an AD, try one on, get on list - repeat for like three or four ADs and you'll have it within a year I imagine.
Old 13 April 2023, 03:04 PM   #3
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Yeah, why not just take the steps and buy one new, it’s not like it’s gonna be a real fast mover.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:10 PM   #4
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I doubt it's going to be hard to source from an AD. Will depend on how long it sits and how much they need to sell other brands and jewlery before they let you have it.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:38 PM   #5
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Hi Parker congrats on making your first post I’m with the rest I would try to reach out to some AD’s; I was making conversation with the manager at mine after the release and he said it had been a week and they didn’t even have one call for it, so due to the size and price point I think getting one at MSRP shouldn’t be impossible. Best of luck!!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:34 PM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Don't pay extra for this one. Very limited market for that watch. I also really suggest you try it on before buying. I think the DSSD might work better for you in the end. Try both models first.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:54 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome. Should not be a difficult watch to source from an AD at retail. Get on some lists and go visit some AD's. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 10:26 PM   #8
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I’d go through an AD. A very small market for that watch due to it’s size but it sounds great for you. I’ll look forward to seeing how it looks on you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 11:09 PM   #9
tifosi
"TRF" Member

For sure go through an AD. There isn't a very large demand for this watch and I'm sure you can get one at retail. Not saying it won't decline in value from there, but at least you get a fighting chance.
Old 14 April 2023, 01:09 AM   #10
ParkerLewis76
"TRF" Member

COPY THAT! Appreciate everyone's unanimous decision!

1 other question is I read that ADs were instructed by Rolex not to sell the watch to anyone who hasn't purchased at least 2 watches from an AD before?
Old 14 April 2023, 01:16 AM   #11
ParkerLewis76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Don't pay extra for this one. Very limited market for that watch. I also really suggest you try it on before buying. I think the DSSD might work better for you in the end. Try both models first.
DSSD means?
Old 14 April 2023, 01:17 AM   #12
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerLewis76 View Post
1 other question is I read that ADs were instructed by Rolex not to sell the watch to anyone who hasn't purchased at least 2 watches from an AD before?
Highly doubtful. I think any AD would love to sell you one, when they get one in stock, probably won't be huge numbers of these delivered but very few possess the wrist and wallet fortitude for this model. You'll get one eventually.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:18 AM   #13
slus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
DSSD means?
DeepSea Sea Dweller. My favorite Rolex, I am 6'4 210 with a 7.25 wrist. I think you need the Challenge!
Old 14 April 2023, 01:22 AM   #14
ParkerLewis76
"TRF" Member

I should have taken a picture of me trying the James Cameron on, it looked like a 36mm, hence why I have never been able to wear a Rolex. My wrist is wider than thicker so eats up a case like you would believe! I have a few ROO 48mm which fit nicely, as even the ROO 44mm looks off, so hence my intrigue with the DSC! I tried one on last week and it fit great, the thickness was just something to get used to, nearly 2x a thick than even a ROO it looked like!
Old 14 April 2023, 01:25 AM   #15
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I can’t imagine why this would be true… making a low interest watch hard to get seems counterintuitive. I could be wrong though.

I think going in, as others said, is a good bet for you. I feel like with your size, and interest, they’ll be excited to put one on you. That watch is made for you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:47 AM   #16
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Before you get the DSC, rule out the Omega Ultra Deep, specifically the steel model with the dark blue dial on a steel bracelet. It's a nice watch too.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:49 AM   #17
slus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I should have taken a picture of me trying the James Cameron on, it looked like a 36mm, hence why I have never been able to wear a Rolex. My wrist is wider than thicker so eats up a case like you would believe! I have a few ROO 48mm which fit nicely, as even the ROO 44mm looks off, so hence my intrigue with the DSC! I tried one on last week and it fit great, the thickness was just something to get used to, nearly 2x a thick than even a ROO it looked like!
I can relate. A 40mm Sub looked and felt like a women's model on me. It actually looked good in wrist shots since my wrist is not huge, but with the rest of me included (so actual life that I see every day, not internet forum photos) it seemed too small.

Forum opinions got to me so much that I flaked out on the DSSD and bought the Submariner first. Before I went back to the DeepSea and due to my brain being wired somewhat incorrectly, I calculated out the proportions of a 44mm DeepSea on me vs a 40mm Submariner on the average US male height of 5'9" From what I remember the diameter increase was justified but the thickness was not. BSA might be a more accurate comparison but due to being tall and thin, those results were excluded.

Buy the Challenge, we all want to see it on someone worthy of wearing one
Old 14 April 2023, 02:03 AM   #18
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:

Well friend, if you read it on the internet it’s definitely true.

Welcome to the forum.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 02:14 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Agree 100% with my friend Mike here ^^^
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 02:19 AM   #20
ParkerLewis76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Well friend, if you read it on the internet it’s definitely true.

Welcome to the forum.
Ha! Fair enough!
Old 14 April 2023, 02:21 AM   #21
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Yeah, why not just take the steps and buy one new, it’s not like it’s gonna be a real fast mover.
It won't be a fast mover, however I seriously doubt they're pumping them out like a regular submariner. They're probably producing a fraction of them compared to they're traditional sports line.

My advice (for right or wrong) is to buy one for the best reasonable market price, while still inquiring at as many ADs as you can.

If you get the call, fantastic! Sell the grey market piece and enjoy the one you bought directly. I have done this countless times on "hard to get" watches and it's almost always worked out for me in many ways.

Most importantly, I'm enjoying my new watch almost immediately and in most cases for years before it would have been even remotely possible to receive my watch from an AD.

I'm still waiting on SOOOOO many watches, most of which have now been discontinued with prices so high I could barely or NOT afford them anymore at all.

If I listened to all the TRF "AD ONLY" experts around here I wouldn't have bought my black dial Daytona in 2017 for $16.5k. I wouldn't have bought my white dial Daytona in 2020 for $24k, etc. And I'm not making these statements to boast about appreciation or any of that investment bullshit, I say it because you can easily get priced out of these things, they can discontinue models, ADs lose partnerships, sales reps quit. Some have even died.

Life is short. Get the watch you want now. my 2 cents
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 02:24 AM   #22
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Whatever you get, it'll be a winner. Everyone knows Parker Lewis can't lose.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 02:31 AM   #23
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
my man is 6'11", 270! I don't know anyone else that this watch could have possibly been made for

That said, I do agree lol. Despite everything I said above, see if you can try it on somehow. Make sure you love it
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 02:41 AM   #24
ParkerLewis76
"TRF" Member

Brilliant play CHADRIDY! Hedging the AD bet, I like it! Now to see what dealer I can shake down for the best price! Having FOMO on the one Anthony Farrer (Timepiece Gentleman) had in his showroom last week which is the one I saw and passed on for 34K, on to the next!

This place is amazing, bravo to everyone who makes this community what it is!

Last edited by ParkerLewis76; 14 April 2023 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: Learning!
Old 14 April 2023, 02:42 AM   #25
ParkerLewis76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
It won't be a fast mover, however I seriously doubt they're pumping them out like a regular submariner. They're probably producing a fraction of them compared to they're traditional sports line.

My advice (for right or wrong) is to buy one for the best reasonable market price, while still inquiring at as many ADs as you can.

If you get the call, fantastic! Sell the grey market piece and enjoy the one you bought directly. I have done this countless times on "hard to get" watches and it's almost always worked out for me in many ways.

Most importantly, I'm enjoying my new watch almost immediately and in most cases for years before it would have been even remotely possible to receive my watch from an AD.

I'm still waiting on SOOOOO many watches, most of which have now been discontinued with prices so high I could barely or NOT afford them anymore at all.

If I listened to all the TRF "AD ONLY" experts around here I wouldn't have bought my black dial Daytona in 2017 for $16.5k. I wouldn't have bought my white dial Daytona in 2020 for $24k, etc. And I'm not making these statements to boast about appreciation or any of that investment bullshit, I say it because you can easily get priced out of these things, they can discontinue models, ADs lose partnerships, sales reps quit. Some have even died.

Life is short. Get the watch you want now. my 2 cents
Brilliant play! Hedging the AD bet, I like it! Now to see what dealer I can shake down for the best price! Having FOMO on the one Anthony Farrer (Timepiece Gentleman) had in his showroom last week which is the one I saw and passed on for 34K, on to the next!

This place is amazing, bravo to everyone who makes this community what it is!
Old 14 April 2023, 03:00 AM   #26
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
my man is 6'11", 270! I don't know anyone else that this watch could have possibly been made for

That said, I do agree lol. Despite everything I said above, see if you can try it on somehow. Make sure you love it
Ha! No doubt he could pull it off. But the DSC is a different animal. I really think the 44mm DeepSea would work perfectly for you. The DSC is just an enormous hockey puck of a watch. Even on a big guy it's a BIG watch.

Check out the James Cameron DSSD before you buy anything. $10 says it's the one you end up with

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 03:06 AM   #27
RCorsa
"TRF" Member

Tried to send a comparison photo to the deep sea. It’s a Monster and while I like it I think it’s too brig for regular daily use. This site wouldn’t accept the iPhone photo(too large I guess for the server)??
RCorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 04:57 AM   #28
aehaas
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS Challenge
Got mine 3 weeks ago and been wearing it since:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=897039

The first wrist shot is the watch on my SA's hand. The second wrist shot is on my wrist.

Ali
aehaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 05:01 AM   #29
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Jeez and I thought I was big at 6'3, 220lb.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 06:10 AM   #30
VerticalClutch
Banned

I think it's a cool watch and I kind of want one, but I know it wouldn't work on me. I can wear 44 mm watches without a problem, but going up to 50 just won't likely work. At $15k I'd probably buy one just as a collector. At $26k....I'm like, nah, I won't really wear it and that's a lot of coin to tie up in something that won't get worn...

I don't know where the "screw it, why not" line is for most folks, but mine is somewhere south of $26k for this watch.

If a lot of others feel the same, it will be easy to get. Even at $15k I'd be battling in my own head.

If I were your size though, I'd do it in a heartbeat. So perhaps the line isn't too bad on this, and I'm with others, try to get it from an AD. I don't buy watches as investments, but since you asked, I don't see this one exploding in value just because it's such a small group of people who can wear it. The James Cameron is barely over retail, I see this one less desired than that even.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote