The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Diamonds
"TRF" Member

customization: good or bad idea?

Dear All,

This weekend I went into the rolex watch store to look at some datejusts in midside so as to compare to some second hand ones i had seen online. I was interested in the dj with diamond dials and a a diamond bezel which I had already discussed with some of the online stores and had already been sent photos. To my dismay, i found out that rolex does not make a mid size date just with a diamond bezel! Only the president came in a diamond dial and bezel. Do you guys know this? i wonder therefore that if I do get it online as i had planned to with a customized diamond bezel, would people think it was a fake rolex?

Secondly, i am wondering, if you customize your original rolex watch, in general, for example with diamond dials or bezels or what ever, does this reduce the value of the watch. i.e, if in the future i tried to sell it would I have problems and lastly would rolex recognize my customized watch as a geniune rolex watch? Sorry the question is so long!

You guys are the gurus on rolex and i look forward to receving good feedback from you.
Thanks so much!!!
Diamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
If you costomise your Watch Rolex will not service it.....

If you customise your watch it could devalue it as far as a colector is concerned, however this may not matter if you never plan to sell.

It's up to you what you do with your watch and there are independant watch makers who could easily service your watch should you choose to customise it.

Be very wary of buying fakes......if it seems too good to be true it probably is....like so many folks on here will tell you "buy the seller first - not the watch"
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 07:23 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
We heard you the first time, Bill!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Woah...I don't know what happened there JJ.....I only hit the button the once....seems we are having computer trouble this end....apologies to all those who thought they had deja vu
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Gerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Series 16613
I don't like any customisations I couldn't reverse if I ever needed to sell the watch.
Old 11 August 2009, 01:51 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Customizing a watch is a personal thing..

There are literally thousands of DateJusts out there with diamond bezels, and they come from the factory with Diamond Dials if you choose..

An entire niche market has been built around after market bezels for the Rolex, so your choices are plentiful.. but there are some things to be wary of and those have been mentioned..

If you decide on a diamond bezel, do not lose the original. That way, if you ever decide to sell or trade-in your watch, you can easily change it back and the full value will be retained..plus, you get to keep your paid-for diamonds.

I would not recommend an after market diamond dial as those are hard to change, keep track of, and really make it difficult to sell/service if you choose the traditional routes.....

..... It's a watch... It's yours.... enjoy it however you choose to do so..........
Old 11 August 2009, 03:02 AM   #7
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
I'm with Tools on this one , because if you decide to get a watch that cost well over 6,000 USD you should be able to customize it to your specifications with original ROLEX parts only.

I won't be getting rid of my TT black sub soon anyway, I'll probably be buried with it , so if i did customize it it's for my eyes only
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 04:00 AM   #8
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ♛
I was about to post a question about this, so i gonna hijack this thread!! I have a 16610 Sub, 14410 Sub and a vintage Turnograph (thunderbird). Any way, I was wearing my Sub everyday, but its getting really worn, I had to replace the clasp, because it literally fell apart. My 1969 turnograph is mint, so I don´t want to wear it, except on special occasions..

Anyway I digress.. I have seen some really cheap, but dated and worn looking, Tudor Oysters and then some well worn Datejust´s, trouble is they look dated. I want a watch for daily use that still looks reasonable. I was thinking of getting one of these and customizing it, with a new dial and glass and then use it daily without fear of ruining its value (I work in swimming pool construction). I was wondering how much cost is involved in changing the dial or who could design me a custom dial, I dont want diamonds or anything.. just something simple and modern looking and then maybe change the hands too.

Then I can keep the original dial and hands and refit in the future, if I ever want to sell.
dieseldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 04:39 AM   #9
Bimmernate

Watch: 14060M
My dad got the diamond factory dial for his DJ when he bought it. The biggest customizing I do is switch the band. Its in my price range.
Bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 04:52 AM   #10
deserted
Banned

if you do decide to change any parts do it to your satisfaction not no one eles
Old 11 August 2009, 05:14 AM   #11
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
as long as you can reverse the customization, great. permanent stuff, not great. imo.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 05:15 AM   #12
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

Mi dos pesos ...

Why go through all of what you describe just to wear a watch while constructiong swimming pools? Why not wear a Seiko or a Casio while working and then put on a Rolex after wards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldragon View Post
I was about to post a question about this, so i gonna hijack this thread!! I have a 16610 Sub, 14410 Sub and a vintage Turnograph (thunderbird). Any way, I was wearing my Sub everyday, but its getting really worn, I had to replace the clasp, because it literally fell apart. My 1969 turnograph is mint, so I don´t want to wear it, except on special occasions..

Anyway I digress.. I have seen some really cheap, but dated and worn looking, Tudor Oysters and then some well worn Datejust´s, trouble is they look dated. I want a watch for daily use that still looks reasonable. I was thinking of getting one of these and customizing it, with a new dial and glass and then use it daily without fear of ruining its value (I work in swimming pool construction). I was wondering how much cost is involved in changing the dial or who could design me a custom dial, I dont want diamonds or anything.. just something simple and modern looking and then maybe change the hands too.

Then I can keep the original dial and hands and refit in the future, if I ever want to sell.
Old 11 August 2009, 05:46 AM   #13
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuppieKid View Post
Why go through all of what you describe just to wear a watch while constructiong swimming pools? Why not wear a Seiko or a Casio while working and then put on a Rolex after wards?
Its mostly, I hate to say, for image, my clients are well to do people, so we ensure our vans look pristine, my employees are well turned out etc, I don´t do much of the day to day work myself anymore, but I do have to get stuck in when required.

Added to that I like Rolex, I would rather wear an old one thats not worth a great deal, but is still a Rolex and I can still sell it in the future. Thats just me - Rolex are tough watches that were made to work and endure harsh environments, so I am sure an old, cosmetically blemished one would do me proud..
dieseldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 06:56 AM   #14
deserted
Banned

Your right , my brother owns a daytona SS blackdial and talk about enduring harshness it was washed well over several times and dried at the laundrymat and the only damage done to it was on the case side was damaged with minor tarnish and scratches.

My brother said he was leaving it tarnish and scratches as a reminder of how the worlds best watch held up and now he has a story for his watch , Kinda neat.
Old 11 August 2009, 08:59 AM   #15
WatchSnob

Not my cup o tea but it is your watch. Be aware it will hurt the resale but it shoud be what you want.
WatchSnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 07:43 AM   #16
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
I'm not sure if it loses value or not, I'm not educated on the subject. I bought a 1960's DD in Yellow 18K gold with a Fluted bezel and red diamond dial. At first it was great, but after a while, for me, it wasn't enough! I then got a diamond bracelet. Then I thought "With this diamond bracelet, the fluted bezel doesn't look right", so I bought a diamond and ruby bezel. Now I haven't customized it anymore, but I am sure I haven't totally devalued it, they were all after market parts, but I'm sure I could get good money for it anyhow.
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 07:44 AM   #17
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I don't like any customisations I couldn't reverse if I ever needed to sell the watch.
same!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 08:05 AM   #18
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner,daytona
do what you want,Just keep the original bezel and dial. i don't see any problem there.
submariner16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 08:32 AM   #19
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Keep it original!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 09:02 AM   #20
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
used to dislike custom watches but after over the years seeing 50.000 people wearing the exactly same 16610 rolex sub I'm all for individuality
KarlFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 04:50 PM   #21
lovecartier

Watch: TT DJ 36mm Jubilee
I think this is sort of like putting aftermarket parts or custom paint on a car - some people are going to like it, but when you trade it into the dealer, they aren't going to give you anything for it, and it may reduce the value.
lovecartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 04:51 PM   #22
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
cutomization is good if you are keeping it forever & handing down to your kids etc.
If you are a "flipper" best to leave it be.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 05:14 PM   #23
DarkHorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118239
I'm a purist and not a fan of customisation at all- the majority of custom jobs that I have seen have looked tacky and just not right. Personal preference I guess.

In relation to reselling I would say that customisation generally diminishes the value to some extent, at least to most collectors, certainly not all though.

Good luck, do what your heart tells you... or something :)

Current: TAG Heuer 2000 Classic, Kobold Phantom Tactical Chronograph, Rolex Submariner 16610, Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronograph A13320 (Crowe Edition), Rolex Day-Date 118239
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 12:58 AM   #24
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Customize if that speaks to you, but keep the original parts for service/warranty work!
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 01:41 AM   #25
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlFr View Post
used to dislike custom watches but after over the years seeing 50.000 people wearing the exactly same 16610 rolex sub I'm all for individuality
That's one of the reasons I keep my Sub on a NATO. Was out at a restaurant/bar a few weeks ago. Standing out on a deck, with three other guys, and TWO of them were wearing 16610s. One of them looked at my watch and asked me what it was...I said it's the same as yours, just on a different strap. He was confused.

Point: seems like every fourth or fifth guy out there is wearing a 16610, though few are WIS. I think the NATO lets me continue to enjoy my Sub without having the same watch everyone else has.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote