The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2023, 09:57 AM   #1
NiceSprites
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling Bentley
Icon1 ⌚︎ My Rolex Journey: Trials and tribulations - Part 1

Hola Rolex fam👋,

I wrote this post on my journey to acquire my first Rolex as a creative release and to share my experience with others.

My wristwatch journey began when my parents got me a TAG Heuer when I graduated high school in the 1980s. After wearing my TAG religiously for around 15 years, I sold it and acquired a (much larger) Breitling Bentley Motors T watch which I wore daily (model A25363, pictured).

Everything changed with the Apple Watch in April 2015. As a lifelong Apple user (and now Family) I'm deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem. As a tech geek, and textbook early adopter, the allure of the new Apple Watch proved irresistible.

I purchased the Apple Watch 0 and my Breitling went onto my watch winder, and later into my safe.

I’ve owned most Apple Watch models since the original, I regularly upgrade my wife’s (walkie talkie ftw!) and our kids get the hand-me-downs. My beautiful Breitling Bentley collected dust in my safe, save the occassional formal event (2-3x/year).

I’ve been mulling my triumphant return to my mechanical watch roots for a few years, but I didn’t want to simply return to wearing my Breitling (It’s a little too large for my wrist). So, it's decision time.

I’ve admired Rolex admirer since noticing them on the wrists of well-dressed businessmen as a kid. In my young eyes, a Rolex watch was a sign of status, but also a sign of confidence. It takes a certain type of person to pull off a Rolex, but when they do, it looks great.

I'm not sure what the catalyst was, but I’ve been watching a lot of golf over the past few years, so I can’t rule out the effect of Rolex’s sponsorship of the PGA on my decision. I knew that I wanted a Rolex, but I wasn’t sure what model.

Thanks for reading!
–NS

P.S. I'm writing Part 2 of my journey (“Which Rolex?”) which I'll post within a few days. In the meantime, what was your first nice watch?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Breitling-Bentley-Motors-T-hero-shot.gif (196.4 KB, 526 views)
NiceSprites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 12:09 PM   #2
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
My first really nice Swiss watch was a two- tone midsize Tag Heuer SEL, now called A Link, which I got in 91. I loved that watch, and it started me on this crazy journey. I reacquired the same exact one recently, just as a reminder of where I started.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 12:16 PM   #3
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660

My first nice watch was this Tag Heuer Formula One alarm. First anniversary gift from my wife 12 years ago, and the only watch I’ll absolutely never sell. As you can tell from the scratches wore it daily for most of the last decade; actually getting ready to send it, and my Tag Heuer Monaco, in for service next month when I visit the Tag Heuer boutique in Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 12:18 PM   #4
Idcutthat13
"TRF" Member

Mine was a Daytona. Than a sub. Than a grand seiko. Then a datejust.
Idcutthat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 12:39 PM   #5
Inthesticks
"TRF" Member

Started with a sub date, 116610LN. I figured this should be a staple in any swiss watch collection, and although not easy to acquire, it was far more attainable than many other Rolex models. As my purchase history grew, so did the availability of more models.
Inthesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 04:09 PM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
IMG_2Feb2020at33517pm.jpg

You can’t beat a good looking watch and my first purchase was my GMT. I’ve bought others but this one has been my favourite. Great to see you are coming back to mechanical watches they can’t be beat in my opinion and the vintage ones are just classics.
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 06:54 PM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Last edited by Harry-57; 22 July 2023 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Incorrect photo showing
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 08:12 PM   #8
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

My first nice Swiss watch was also a Tag Heuer in the early ‘90s - 2 in fact. A Formula 1 with rubber strap (£125) and a mid size Sports Elegance (£650).

I’ve still got both watches. Both still going strong. I don’t wear them much, if at all now but I doubt I will ever part with them. I only went into the AD to buy the F1 after seeing an article about it in a magazine (no internet in those days). When I saw the Sports Elegance for the first time I knew I wanted that watch as well. Funny thing is I actually thought the mid size Sports Elegance was a big chunky watch when I bought it!

May I ask the OP, which Tag Heuer was your first watch?
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 10:09 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go with a Submariner, six digit, with the ceramic bezel, updated bracelet with the amazing Glide Lock Clasp. It is a classic watch and an Icon of the Rolex brand. It could be a one and only and will last a lifetime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230718_131346 (002).jpg (85.3 KB, 288 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 10:16 PM   #10
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Enjoy the ride! I think a Submariner makes an ideal first Rolex.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 10:26 PM   #11
Driver8
"TRF" Member

My first "nice" watch was an Omega Seamaster back in the 90's. As a big Breitling fan, I've also had my fair share of Breitling for Bentley Motors over the years as well - three in fact, a Motors, a 6.75, and a LeMans LE. Great watches but a definite "statement" and too large for my tastes these days.

In terms of first Rolex, I'd give another vote for a Sub.
Old 22 July 2023, 10:59 PM   #12
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
early 90s 14060 submariner, which i still have.
Old 22 July 2023, 11:09 PM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Unless I'm missing something, I didn't find one single trial or tribulation...or really much about a Rolex journey in that post.

But...hey, welcome to the madness.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2023, 11:25 PM   #14
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Submariner 14060M new from A.D. Jan 2010

Old 25 July 2023, 07:21 AM   #15
NiceSprites
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling Bentley
Thanks everyone for the awesome replies and feedback. I'm working on Part 2 "Which Rolex?" which I'll post here shortly. What an awesome community!
NiceSprites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 08:01 AM   #16
zi464
"TRF" Member

My first matic watch was Seiko SNM037 in 2007 which I still wear it.
Love Rolex , Omega , JLC etc luxury brands. My goal was very clear - Sub must to be my 1st luxury watch and finally pulled the trigger in 2019.
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote