The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 July 2023, 02:32 AM   #1
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Did/Do you Trust your AD for Initial Bracelet Sizing?

Reading a couple threads here on the first couple pages about Loctite and people having screws back out (along with a couple other threads on the appropriate screwdriver kits to buy after searching) has given me pause on whether or not I want my AD to size my watch when it comes in.

I originally was planning on having them do it; afterall, I'm spending thousands and they would (should?) know better than me how to properly size it, whether it's getting the clasp and case parallel, knowing to put an extra link on the 12:00 side if the number of links I need is an odd number, or knowing to use Loctite on the pins. Or anything else.

But I've found in my time on earth that incompetence is rampant and job titles and experience often mean nothing - you could have someone doing the same procedure wrong day in day out for years despite 5 minutes of googling being all it takes to figure out the right way.

So, with the knowledge I've found about tools, along with this quick video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBzOE0OuMWM&t=1s

I'm wondering if it's best to take my new watch home unsized and do it myself instead. I mean, it's just a screw. What are your thoughts, did/do you let your AD size it or do you bring it home unsized and just do it yourself?
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 02:44 AM   #2
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Typically i have them do it. And if i desire further adjustment, i do it myself at home as needed
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 02:52 AM   #3
Chopper87
"TRF" Member

No.

People screw up stuff A LOT.
When I bought my first watch many moons ago, which had a leather strap... the guy sets the time and date for me, and scratches the side with the tool for the day pusher. Then he proceeds to not notice until I tell him.

How can you not even set the time without damaging a watch? Mind boggling.
Chopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:16 AM   #4
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Old school thoughts:

If you can do it yourself do it
If you can’t do it yourself then learn how.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:20 AM   #5
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
My last four watches from the same AD were all sized by them, three while I was there in person picking it up, the fourth done remotely before they shipped it to me. They have a tech on staff who is very competent or my SA who’s been at this profession for close to 30 years. I have tools but I trust them more than myself!
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:21 AM   #6
Normunds
"TRF" Member

I bet that they have sized hundreds of bracelets and they have good enough understanding and tools to do it properly. I wouldn’t do it myself if it was my first try, rolex or not.
Normunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:39 AM   #7
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Typically i have them do it. And if i desire further adjustment, i do it myself at home as needed
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:43 AM   #8
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
My only concern would be if they scratch something but that will likely not happen. Just let them size it, you won't come across like a flipper, and tighten everything at home. No need to over think things. Congrats on the watch.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:55 AM   #9
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
They figured out my wrist size for my GMT from my other watch pretty easily. I let them do it and have not changed the bracelet adjustment at all. Got my GMT in 2020, so its been solid so far.
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 04:03 AM   #10
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
To them, it's a job/task that they do numerous times every day, so they become numb and don't care much about it.

To you, it's your watch, your baby. you want to handle it with care, patience and love.

that's the biggest difference.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 04:03 AM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I had an AD in Turks and Caicos Absolutely mangle a Deep Sea that I bought there once. It was pretty early on in my buying days and I was a little more anal about things than I am now, but looking back it was pretty bad. They destroyed 3-4 screws and scratched the hell our of multiple links.

I'd like to say that was uncommon but I think it happens pretty often.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 04:11 AM   #12
dannyp
Banned

I would. Provided it was the watchmaker doing so.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 04:27 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Same difference. Overall the AD does it, but once or twice, maybe they're really busy or ???, so I do it. Of course it helps to have the proper tools, lighting, etc.

watchmaker_bench.jpg

watchmaker_bench_close.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 04:33 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Reading a couple threads here on the first couple pages about Loctite and people having screws back out (along with a couple other threads on the appropriate screwdriver kits to buy after searching) has given me pause on whether or not I want my AD to size my watch when it comes in.

I originally was planning on having them do it; afterall, I'm spending thousands and they would (should?) know better than me how to properly size it, whether it's getting the clasp and case parallel, knowing to put an extra link on the 12:00 side if the number of links I need is an odd number, or knowing to use Loctite on the pins. Or anything else.

But I've found in my time on earth that incompetence is rampant and job titles and experience often mean nothing - you could have someone doing the same procedure wrong day in day out for years despite 5 minutes of googling being all it takes to figure out the right way.

So, with the knowledge I've found about tools, along with this quick video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBzOE0OuMWM&t=1s

I'm wondering if it's best to take my new watch home unsized and do it myself instead. I mean, it's just a screw. What are your thoughts, did/do you let your AD size it or do you bring it home unsized and just do it yourself?
Well speaking for myself been wearing Rolex watches for over 50 years and have always sized adjusted my own bracelets.As long as you can use a screwdriver to undo a screw it's not rocket science to do it yourself.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 04:49 AM   #15
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

I had them do it and haven‘t had any problems.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:09 AM   #16
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I trust them but do additional adjustments myself. Part of buying a watch, imho, is having it sized.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:20 AM   #17
Driver8
"TRF" Member

No, I always do it myself. No one will ever care for your watch more than you, and I’ve seen ADs mess stuff up with a combination of cack-handedness and being too blasé.

All you need is the correct size hollow ground screwdriver, some tape (if you want to protect against any scratches if you should slip), and (ideally) a tube of Loctite 222, and you’re good to go. It’s not rocket science.
Old 27 July 2023, 05:23 AM   #18
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
If it’s a salesperson doing it, no. If they have an in-house watchmaker, sure. If in doubt,I’ve sized a great many watches.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:41 AM   #19
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

My first few, yes. After that, I do it.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:42 AM   #20
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I've allowed several ADs to adjust without any issues. I've also allowed DavidSW to make adjustments with no issues so guess I've simply been lucky overall. These were all done early on in my Rolex days. Since then I've collected the proper tools, watched the videos, read the guidance and nowadays just do it myself. Once again, I've been generally lucky with only one damaged screw head so far.
Old 27 July 2023, 05:46 AM   #21
SMPc
"TRF" Member

I always let them do the sizing first. But my wrist expands much more during the summer time, so I usually adjust my bracelets again every six months anyways, since the easy link is not enough.
SMPc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:47 AM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Unless the sales rep is really cute I typically get them to ask the in house technician to do it.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:50 AM   #23
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Right now I'm still undecided how I'll go, may be a gut feeling in the moment, but I did go ahead and order everything I would need to do it myself just so I'm ready:

1) Esslinger 3 Hollow Ground tip Horofix screwdriver (which includes a flat 1.3mm which by my research is the right tip for a Jubilee)
2) Esslinger watch block
3) Loctite 222 (aka purple)
4) Polyimide tape similar to what the guy used in the video linked in my OP

I know myself in that I tend to be super picky in finding the absolute optimal fit, which may not be found on day one, so I figured I may as well be prepared to handle later fine tuning myself, even if I have the AD do the initial sizing.

Hopefully they won't be suspicious of me if I do want to take it home unsized; for all I know they may not even allow it.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:53 AM   #24
Vipes
"TRF" Member

My local ADs will resize the bracelet before you leave to prevent flipping an unsized piece. So I don’t have the option to size it myself. They’ve done a good job overall.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 05:59 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
My local ADs will resize the bracelet before you leave to prevent flipping an unsized piece. So I don’t have the option to size it myself. They’ve done a good job overall.
My exes resize me by making me fat so I can’t be flipped either.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 06:01 AM   #26
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I’ve sized some myself but the ad I’ve bought the most from has a watchmaker on staff so I just let him do it.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 06:10 AM   #27
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Exactly my approach as well. Invest in a nice screwdriver set and the fancy spring bar tweezers. Worth it the first time you avoid having to drive to the dealer to do something you can take care of at home.
Old 27 July 2023, 06:12 AM   #28
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

fits out the box for me ! never a need to re size
bestkepttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 06:14 AM   #29
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I'm guessing none of you have had to unscrew Loctite screws? They're impossible to remove without heating them up or mangling the screw head. If you don't know what you're doing, then it's better to let them do it, even if there's a small chance they might mess it up, rather than the higher chance of you completely ruining it. At least if they do it, they can remedy it by ordering you a new screw, and so on
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 06:18 AM   #30
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

They usually make it wearable… the I tinker for the perfect fit
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote