The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2023, 02:08 AM   #1
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Anyone ever had their Panerai case replaced?

I’ve had my 233 for a few months now and it is by far my favorite watch to wear. I bought it used and it has definitely had its share of wear and poor polishing. The movement is running great though as it was just serviced.

I reached out to Panerai and they quoted me $3,300 on a new case. I know this is a steep price and I view whatever I purchased the Panerai at a few months ago as a sunk cost.

I don’t want to go through the headache of selling and searching for one in better condition to pop up for sale. Honestly, I don’t think 233s come up for sale that often, maybe one or 2
Every month or so, but none In spectacular condition.

Has anyone ever done this before ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2023, 02:41 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Although I've never had a watch case replaced or owned a Panerai, there once was a pre-owned watch in my collection with a similar issue. For the most part I really liked the watch, but the previous owner took it upon himself to "refinish" the bracelet and a portion of the case.

Although it was not that noticable at first, I saw more imperfections with each close glance with the naked eye. I ended up selling it, and the funny thing is the guy I sold it to ended up selling it again.

No clue what the 233's list for currently upon the seemingly rare occasion of one for sale, but the fact it's your favourite watch that makes you happy means you arrived at this point for a reason.

In a perfect world I'm sure you would just source another in more favourable condition. Not sure how easy it would be to sell yours depending on how beaten up it is. At the end of the day it's your money and you must do with it what makes you happiest. If that means having this watch already in your possession recased, then so be it.

With regards to that, how will the replacement differ? Just curious if part of the new serial number will indicate that it's been replaced. It'll be interesting to hear from the Panerai owners and those who did this or know more about the process.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2023, 03:40 AM   #3
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
If the case is not in a good condition, I would consider a case change for a great watch like pam233.. I have pam 233 K series.. also I bought it used.. mine is also keeping great time but after ten years I can consider a case change.. btw does the case come with domed crystal?
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2023, 04:30 AM   #4
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
With regards to that, how will the replacement differ? Just curious if part of the new serial number will indicate that it's been replaced. It'll be interesting to hear from the Panerai owners and those who did this or know more about the process.
According to Panerai, they recut a brand new case and issue a new serial number. Takes 12 weeks.

Old 7 August 2023, 06:48 AM   #5
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Just do it if you have spent a few months trying to locate a mint specimen unsuccessfully. I had a fancy ST Dupont fountain pen… Urushi lacquer on brass. I bought it and it had a tiny ding on the barrel. I couldn’t unsee it. One day I saw a NOS barrel on eBay for 50% of the cost of what I paid for the pen. I offered substantially less, knowing the seller likely would not find a buyer. Offer not accepted. A year later I still had not really used the pen because of the ding. The barrel was still out on eBay at the same high price. I offered a lower price again (not as low as the first time). Offer not accepted. I turned around and offered asking price… got the mint barrel and now the pen is regularly in my rotation.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2023, 09:17 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not worth it for me. I would sell/trade the 233 for either cash or trade toward a good condition 233 DOT. The money spent on the case will not be recovered. I own a 233 DOT and like the watch a great deal. I do see them roll through the Trusted Sellers on a fairly regular basis. There are seven listed on Chrono24 in the U.S. Obviously, do as you please but just look at the numbers and a sell/trade appears to be more economical. Let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230221_125407 (002).jpg (65.7 KB, 144 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 04:38 AM   #7
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Not worth it for me. I would sell/trade the 233 for either cash or trade toward a good condition 233 DOT. The money spent on the case will not be recovered. I own a 233 DOT and like the watch a great deal. I do see them roll through the Trusted Sellers on a fairly regular basis. There are seven listed on Chrono24 in the U.S. Obviously, do as you please but just look at the numbers and a sell/trade appears to be more economical. Let us know what you decide.

I agree 110% , it makes almost zero fiscal sense to purchase a new case. But when I run the numbers it’s ALMOST can be reasoned.

Let’s start with the fact that Panerais are a tough sale on the secondary market these days. I can’t remember but I believe I paid roughly $7500. Selling on the secondary market I could probably get $6800. Minus insurance shipping that’s another $200. That’s a loss of $900.

Then there’s the purchasing one in good condition challenge. Right now there’s a 233 for sale at $7990. And that case looks beat to crap. Let’s say I find a good condition one for $7900. So that’s another $400 out of pocket.

So a $900 loss on resell and another $400 to buy another im at $1300. 2 grand more and I get a brand new case from the factory and no headaches with buying and selling . Specially selling, I hate selling, everyone wants a new watch at used prices lol

Old 9 August 2023, 12:54 PM   #8
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
I'd go the new case route
Just means it becomes a "keeper"

I've got a couple of watches in my collection that hold such sentimental value that i've actually bought replacements with the intention of using the recently acquired models as doners when/if i have issues in the future
Old 10 August 2023, 06:16 AM   #9
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Brasole View Post
I’ve had my 233 for a few months now and it is by far my favorite watch to wear. I bought it used and it has definitely had its share of wear and poor polishing. The movement is running great though as it was just serviced.

I reached out to Panerai and they quoted me $3,300 on a new case. I know this is a steep price and I view whatever I purchased the Panerai at a few months ago as a sunk cost.

I don’t want to go through the headache of selling and searching for one in better condition to pop up for sale. Honestly, I don’t think 233s come up for sale that often, maybe one or 2
Every month or so, but none In spectacular condition.

Has anyone ever done this before ?

Pictures of current condition?
cht is offline   Reply With Quote