The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2023, 09:21 AM   #1
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
made a big decision today

for me anyway, a fairly big decision. Quick back story is that I started with nice watches close to 20 yrs ago with a 35 mm yachtmaster, and also then a 38mm Breitling (still a sentimental fav). Come 2010/11 gravitated to more Rolex with the then new 11 series sub and GMT II. At that time, going from the 35 YM to the "supercase" was a "bridge too far" in regards to "chunkiness", weight, perceived comfort etc. However, I kept the 2011 116610LN sub since I bought it then at a discount ($7k out the door incl state sales tax). But I did jump into the 5 digit subs, GMT II, and daytonas in the gray market over the next couple of years 2011 - 2012 (still have them). The 5 digit subs, GMT II, and daytonas is what I've worn since then. Until now, the 116610LN has only been bracelet sized, then stored in the safe since 2011 - some of the plastic still on it.

Fast forward to this last 30 days, and I've seen and evaluated the 126610 subs and am on my ADs list to get 1 (they are what the 11 series should have been). So, today I decided to finally give the 11 series sub some wrist time - maybe get ready for the 12 series. I was thinking of keeping it "NIB" for value, but I'm not getting any younger, so enjoy it was what I decided earlier today. It will still be worth way more than I paid for it once the kids get it (same for the 5 digits I still own). Feel pretty comfortable with that decision right now.
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 09:35 AM   #2
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I never understood why people buy a brand new Rolex, then don’t wear it. Your story at least makes some sense. Did your AD give you a time frame on when to expect your new Sub? Good luck , in the meantime.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 11:19 AM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew View Post
for me anyway, a fairly big decision. Quick back story is that I started with nice watches close to 20 yrs ago with a 35 mm yachtmaster, and also then a 38mm Breitling (still a sentimental fav). Come 2010/11 gravitated to more Rolex with the then new 11 series sub and GMT II. At that time, going from the 35 YM to the "supercase" was a "bridge too far" in regards to "chunkiness", weight, perceived comfort etc. However, I kept the 2011 116610LN sub since I bought it then at a discount ($7k out the door incl state sales tax). But I did jump into the 5 digit subs, GMT II, and daytonas in the gray market over the next couple of years 2011 - 2012 (still have them). The 5 digit subs, GMT II, and daytonas is what I've worn since then. Until now, the 116610LN has only been bracelet sized, then stored in the safe since 2011 - some of the plastic still on it.

Fast forward to this last 30 days, and I've seen and evaluated the 126610 subs and am on my ADs list to get 1 (they are what the 11 series should have been). So, today I decided to finally give the 11 series sub some wrist time - maybe get ready for the 12 series. I was thinking of keeping it "NIB" for value, but I'm not getting any younger, so enjoy it was what I decided earlier today. It will still be worth way more than I paid for it once the kids get it (same for the 5 digits I still own). Feel pretty comfortable with that decision right now.

Pictures please!

Congrats on getting it out of jail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 01:33 PM   #4
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Good choice to wear it. Keeping that in a safe to try a make a return on it just doesn’t make much sense with other investment options. Enjoy it! Maybe get the 12 series also.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 01:46 PM   #5
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Wise decision. A huge paradigm shift I've had fairly recently as I've gotten older is I don't save anything for later anymore. I used to have a weird habit of doing that. Even if I'm out for a sushi dinner, I save my favorite piece for last.

Then I realized tomorrow (or even the next minute) is not promised to anyone. So I don't save much for later anymore. If all I'm doing today is going to the grocery store, I want to wear my favorite watch to do it, not wait to wear it tomorrow.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 09:43 PM   #6
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

as requested, currently on my wrist

Last edited by georgew; 19 August 2023 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: pic posting failed
Old 19 August 2023, 09:53 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good decision George, your Sub thanks you

Good luck on the next one
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 10:07 PM   #8
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Wear em' if you got em'.
I hope you get the call on the new Sub soon. The proportions are perfect.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 10:09 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good story. I like the 11 series Submariners. I have has a 12 series and it is great also. I guess I am just a fan.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 10:15 PM   #10
garg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Wise decision. A huge paradigm shift I've had fairly recently as I've gotten older is I don't save anything for later anymore. I used to have a weird habit of doing that. Even if I'm out for a sushi dinner, I save my favorite piece for last.

Then I realized tomorrow (or even the next minute) is not promised to anyone. So I don't save much for later anymore. If all I'm doing today is going to the grocery store, I want to wear my favorite watch to do it, not wait to wear it tomorrow.
Love this mentality. Enjoy things while we can. Future is never guaranteed!

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 12:59 AM   #11
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post

Exactly the same for me I recently sold nearly all my lower price watches and now only have Rolexes to wear nearly all the time plus one Citizen.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 02:51 AM   #12
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Old 20 August 2023, 03:11 AM   #13
WatchMySix
"TRF" Member

Got any pics of your collection? Sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WatchMySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 03:24 AM   #14
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

here's the sub c

[img]
Old 20 August 2023, 03:28 AM   #15
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

and for this summer at the yacht club, the 116622 YM (blue) has gotten wrist time too

[img]
Old 20 August 2023, 08:30 AM   #16
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great decision to wear your Sub.
I love my YM blue dial too, but I’m sans Yacht.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote