The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2023, 04:33 AM   #1
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Hiking & the Appalachian Trail

Any hiking enthusiasts out there?

Over the years I've logged something in the vicinity of 6,000 trail miles, but my focus (obsession?) lately has been on section hiking the AT. Over the past few years I've done 1,405 miles of that trail, which leaves me just shy of 800 miles left to do.

Most of what I've done has been in 30-50 mile sections, where I "slack-pack," which is hiking between road crossings & staying in hotels. Which means restaurant food, comfy beds and most importantly, a light pack.

Some traditional backpacking is unavoidable, like in the Smoky Mountains where you have just one road crossing in 74 miles. I've done a little over 500 miles solo (with my wife acting as shuttle driver), the rest with a couple of hiking buddies. I've had 4 bear & 2 rattlesnake sightings thus far, and many instances of trail magic - one guy brought a bunch of pizzas to a road crossing, another was making omelets for hikers. Anyone else like to sling a pack & get out there?
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 05:19 AM   #2
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
We love to hike. We go yearly to Acadia and plan to go in a few weeks. Very scenic. Several smaller trails close by to us in Florida. The Bruce Trail in Ontario runs right by our place on the Bruce Peninsula. Amazing views. Some other nice trails in Ontario.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 05:35 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Wow. I need to learn more about this slack packing. That sounds perfect for me!!

I love hiking. And at one point in my life I loved camping. Not so much anymore, unless it glamping.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 05:36 AM   #4
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
I hiked a portion of the AT when I was in Boy Scouts growing up. Did a Fri morning to Sun night hike & saw my first black bear. My dad is an avid hiker & outdoorsman. He's in Wilmington NC if you're looking for a hiking partner. We're going to Alaska next summer for hiking & fishing.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 05:55 AM   #5
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Wow. I need to learn more about this slack packing. That sounds perfect for me!!

I love hiking. And at one point in my life I loved camping. Not so much anymore, unless it glamping.
Seth, you have 72 glorious miles of Appalachian Trail in NJ, with road crossings well spaced throughout. The omelet man I met was at the entrance to High Point SP and one of my bear sightings was in Wawayanda SP. One of the most unique parts of the trail is through the Pochuck Swamp - 2 miles of boardwalk in a giant swamp. New Jersey is definitely one of the surprising jewels of the trail thus far!
Old 20 September 2023, 06:06 AM   #6
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
I hiked a portion of the AT when I was in Boy Scouts growing up. Did a Fri morning to Sun night hike & saw my first black bear. My dad is an avid hiker & outdoorsman. He's in Wilmington NC if you're looking for a hiking partner. We're going to Alaska next summer for hiking & fishing.
The trail in NC/TN (it runs along the border for long stretches) is no joke. I have ~ 100 miles left to do of the 392 in these two states. Tell Dad to meet me at Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin, TN the 1st week in October for the next section!
Old 20 September 2023, 06:57 AM   #7
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Saw 'Out of the Furnace' for the first time last night.
You take care in Appalachia.

Seriously...hope you have a great time.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 07:09 AM   #8
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I hiked quite a lot of it up in NH and Maine back in the 80's. I also hitchhiked around for 10 months back then too. A.T. for fun, the other out of necessity.
Glory days I suppose.
Big congratulations on getting so close to the conclusion. Hell of an accomplishment.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 07:31 AM   #9
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have done hundreds of nights backpacking over the years here in Colorado.

Lately, the wife and I really enjoy extended hiking trips either using either small towns as a base camp or hiking town to town with a luggage shuttle. We like our nice hotels, dinners and wine now that we are a touch older.

We have done the Dolomites and a shortened version of the Tour du Mont Blanc so far. Looking forward to the Julian Alps and the Pyrenees in the future.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 09:49 AM   #10
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
I hiked quite a lot of it up in NH and Maine back in the 80's. I also hitchhiked around for 10 months back then too. A.T. for fun, the other out of necessity.
Glory days I suppose.
Big congratulations on getting so close to the conclusion. Hell of an accomplishment.
NH & southern ME are insane. Very rugged mountains, no switchbacks, rocks & roots everywhere, the grades are really tough. They also do things in Maine that aren't done anywhere else on the trail, like making you ford ice cold roaring streams or running the trail right up washouts. I mean, they didn't start running a canoe ferry across the Kennebec River until a few people drowned. They also don't seem to believe in puncheon. Maine is beautiful, but the people who manage the AT there belong in Shawshank Prison.
Old 20 September 2023, 09:54 AM   #11
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I have done hundreds of nights backpacking over the years here in Colorado.

Lately, the wife and I really enjoy extended hiking trips either using either small towns as a base camp or hiking town to town with a luggage shuttle. We like our nice hotels, dinners and wine now that we are a touch older.

We have done the Dolomites and a shortened version of the Tour du Mont Blanc so far. Looking forward to the Julian Alps and the Pyrenees in the future.
I believe you have arrived at the correct formulation for hiking. Although I will say as someone who has been gagging and choking on freeze dried meals for decades, this Peak Refuel brand is positively edible.
Old 20 September 2023, 10:52 AM   #12
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

One of my best friends just completed his through hike of the AT last week. Started in GA in late March-early April, so he maintained pretty good weather the entire time.

I hiked a bit of the GA & NC portions with my stepdad in my teens, but mostly 3-5 day stretches.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 12:25 PM   #13
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I have done most of NY and part of NJ on the AT.

If anyone here is in the Hudson Valley on the AT, give me a heads up. My home is always open for a shower, home cooked meal and clean sheets for the night.

The trail crosses only about a mile from us, near Harriman State park.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 12:36 PM   #14
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
I have done most of NY and part of NJ on the AT.

If anyone here is in the Hudson Valley on the AT, give me a heads up. My home is always open for a shower, home cooked meal and clean sheets for the night.

The trail crosses only about a mile from us, near Harriman State park.
the first hike I ever did - I think I was 10 - was from the Bear Mountain Inn to Lake Tiorati, about 11 miles with all but the last mile on the AT. That cured me of wanting to hike for a few years.
Old 21 September 2023, 12:32 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
Seth, you have 72 glorious miles of Appalachian Trail in NJ, with road crossings well spaced throughout. The omelet man I met was at the entrance to High Point SP and one of my bear sightings was in Wawayanda SP. One of the most unique parts of the trail is through the Pochuck Swamp - 2 miles of boardwalk in a giant swamp. New Jersey is definitely one of the surprising jewels of the trail thus far!
I just saw you are from Greenville.

I was there just last week. We are looking at a company to buy near Clemson.

Would love to know how you like it there?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 02:17 AM   #16
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I have hiked most of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia and a little in NC. A few weeks ago I was on a section on the way up to Mt Rogers, the highest point in VA. I used to backpack a good bit and dreamed of hiking the AT, the Pacific Crest and Continental Divide trails when I retired but now I have developed some back issues so mostly just day hikes for me.

On the way to Mt Rogers just off the AT in July.

Old 21 September 2023, 02:33 AM   #17
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

The real question, as I see it, given the forum we're on, is which watch are you going to wear hiking the AT?! All answers that aren't "platinum Daytona" are unacceptable. :D

Old 21 September 2023, 02:37 AM   #18
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

friend mine got the NOBO patch back in 2014. i still can't fathom that and i rode a bike to Alaska. monster hike.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 02:50 AM   #19
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
The real question, as I see it, given the forum we're on, is which watch are you going to wear hiking the AT?! All answers that aren't "platinum Daytona" are unacceptable. :D
I wear my z-blue milgauss on the trail. When I'm backpacking I clip it on my water bottle at night. With that lume I can find the bottle without knocking it over & disturbing the other folks in the shelter.
Old 21 September 2023, 03:00 AM   #20
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
I have hiked most of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia and a little in NC. A few weeks ago I was on a section on the way up to Mt Rogers, the highest point in VA. I used to backpack a good bit and dreamed of hiking the AT, the Pacific Crest and Continental Divide trails when I retired but now I have developed some back issues so mostly just day hikes for me.

On the way to Mt Rogers just off the AT in July.

Haven't done Mt Rogers yet, but it's coming. I've hiked about 20 miles north of Damascus, so I think I have about another 17 to Mt Rogers.

Virginia is freaking endless, a quarter of the entire trail. I recall vividly the sign that said "Welcome to Virginia, Tennessee border 535 miles." I've done 316 Virginia miles which leaves, I think, about a million to go.
Old 21 September 2023, 03:04 AM   #21
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I just saw you are from Greenville.

I was there just last week. We are looking at a company to buy near Clemson.

Would love to know how you like it there?
sent a DM (I think) but I'm a techno-boob. Pls let me know if I failed.
Old 22 September 2023, 08:36 AM   #22
Larry302
"TRF" Member

I did the Appalachian trail and found it quite easy . I think where most fail is they try to do the length, I did the width . Took like three seconds .
Larry302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 02:29 AM   #23
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry302 View Post
I did the Appalachian trail and found it quite easy . I think where most fail is they try to do the length, I did the width . Took like three seconds .
GTFOH

Old 26 September 2023, 03:33 AM   #24
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry302 View Post
you know, no one tracks people that have thru-hiked the width. You may be the first and perhaps only to have accomplished this feat.

One of the cool thru-hiker traditions is to take a train name. My most frequent hiking companions are Scrooge and Uecker. I ran into a guy who thru-hiked decades ago (Paul with Bunions) and he said that began to prevent theft of hiker's re-supply packages being held at hostels & outfitters. Other traditions include The Half Gallon Challenge (eating a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting in Pine Grove Furnace SP mile 1105), Mooning the Cog Train (Mt Washington, mile 1860) & confessing your sins to The Priest - on a mountain called "The Priest" there is a shelter which, like all of them, contains a log book where thru-hikers sign in & leave brief messages. At this one, however, you are supposed to confess your trail sins. Examples are confessing to stealing toilet paper from restaurants or wearing the same disgusting socks for weeks. I think the best one is the hiker parade at Trail Days, a sort of thru-hiker festival held every year in Damascus, VA. All the hikers do a parade through town during which the locals hose them down, throw water balloons or squirt them with water guns because they are filthy.