The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 September 2023, 12:19 AM   #1
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

What does the journey to an Aquanaut look like?

I’d want to preface this with the understanding that ADs are individually and independently operated from Patek, but was looking for general guidance.

Recently became enamored with the Aquanaut (more so than the nautilus). I find it to be the perfect vacation/casual sports watch not on a bracelet. Every time I see it in the wild I am so impressed by how well it shows and fits.

Anyways, this would be my first dip into Patek. I recently stopped by a boutique (wore my RO)- and it sounded clear that I’d need to go the Calatrava route first. I like the 6119R but the price and the fact that it’s not automatic is discouraging.

With that said, what does the typical spend look like for an Aquanaut (of any variety)? Any indication that this could be a first watch? Thanks all
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 01:05 AM   #2
EyeoftheTiger
"TRF" Member

Ladies watch or Calatrava + , complication +, more expensive complication = Aquanaut
Try to visit the store at least once every two months
EyeoftheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 01:40 AM   #3
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Good luck if going the AD route. If you can swing a relationship with a Salon you can get one as your second piece, with any non Nautilus/Aquanaut as your first piece. The ROI on time and $ is worth the effort IMO. Got mine in less than 2 months like this.
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 01:50 AM   #4
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Look at my bio. From the BLNR and forward are from the same AD. He promised me my first Aquanaut (Patek) after Christmas. But we really get along the AD and me.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 01:59 AM   #5
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeoftheTiger View Post
Ladies watch or Calatrava + , complication +, more expensive complication = Aquanaut
Try to visit the store at least once every two months
Wow, I thought just a complication or Calatrava would put you in the running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent675 View Post
Good luck if going the AD route. If you can swing a relationship with a Salon you can get one as your second piece, with any non Nautilus/Aquanaut as your first piece. The ROI on time and $ is worth the effort IMO. Got mine in less than 2 months like this.
Amazing! Less than 2 months after your first piece? What was your first?. Unfortunately I am in the states and only have access to one authorized dealer locally. Does anyone know if people have had luck starting a relationship with a salon overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Look at my bio. From the BLNR and forward are from the same AD. He promised me my first Aquanaut (Patek) after Christmas. But we really get along the AD and me.
Wow, that’s quite the spend history. Hope you get the Aquanaut sooner rather than later.
Old 23 September 2023, 02:21 AM   #6
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Wow, I thought just a complication or Calatrava would put you in the running.

Amazing! Less than 2 months after your first piece? What was your first?. Unfortunately I am in the states and only have access to one authorized dealer locally. Does anyone know if people have had luck starting a relationship with a salon overseas?

Wow, that’s quite the spend history. Hope you get the Aquanaut sooner rather than later.
The good thing is i didn’t but anything I didn’t ask for. When I told i wanted a patek they said sure.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 02:28 AM   #7
Nlwatches
"TRF" Member

It’s hard, we are 150k in with no line of sight
Nlwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:07 AM   #8
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Feel sorry for all the wheeling and dealing that now takes place, my journey to a first Aqua was for a 5164, I loved it but not the price, I liked it only at 20% below Retail, hard to believe now, so I passed for years then when prices started to move I made mine and got one for around retail and was happy to pay it, shame how the market became so important suddenly in the watch game.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:18 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I got one of the first releases back in the late 90's. It was 36mm. It was about 6K retail and was marketed to bring young new people to the brand as an inexpensive entry level piece. As I recall the launch was pretty successful and demand was very robust. Obviously, this is no longer an entry level watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:38 AM   #10
bioyuki
"TRF" Member

Got my 5164A this week at a decent gray price. BNIB 2023 with the new movement. I'd rather go gray and get a sure thing, than spend money on Calatravas I don't want with tons of uncertainty.
bioyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:43 AM   #11
byow
"TRF" Member

OP, it depends on so many factors that it is difficult to give you the formula that will work for you.

If a collector connects you with the Salons, it can be quite quick, depending on the time of the year (between immediate and approximately four months if they have to « order » it for you).

Worst situation is to live in an area where you have a lot of  « competition » and no connections: the waiting time can be infinite.

But this is now. It was not the case a few years ago, and could change again in a few years from now.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:51 AM   #12
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Feel sorry for all the wheeling and dealing that now takes place, my journey to a first Aqua was for a 5164, I loved it but not the price, I liked it only at 20% below Retail, hard to believe now, so I passed for years then when prices started to move I made mine and got one for around retail and was happy to pay it, shame how the market became so important suddenly in the watch game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by byow View Post
OP, it depends on so many factors that it is difficult to give you the formula that will work for you.

If a collector connects you with the Salons, it can be quite quick, depending on the time of the year (between immediate and approximately four months if they have to « order » it for you).

Worst situation is to live in an area where you have a lot of  « competition » and no connections: the waiting time can be infinite.

But this is now. It was not the case a few years ago, and could change again in a few years from now.
Hope these good old times return. @byow - are you saying that if you have a relationship with a salon you can get it as your first piece? Doesn’t really matter in my situation since I’m in California.
Old 23 September 2023, 05:55 AM   #13
byow
"TRF" Member

Yes, you can have it on the spot with the right introduction and if they have it at the Salon.
Old 23 September 2023, 07:24 AM   #14
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byow View Post
Yes, you can have it on the spot with the right introduction and if they have it at the Salon.
Wow! Someone please hit my line hahaha🙏 will be forever grateful
Old 23 September 2023, 09:29 AM   #15
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
6119 is a great piece.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 09:41 AM   #16
Eastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlwatches View Post
It’s hard, we are 150k in with no line of sight

That’s insane. Can you say more?

Is your AD a big box retailer (bucherer, watches of Switzerland, etc)? A family jeweler? A patek owned salon?

What area of the world are you in?

What have been your purchases to-date? And the timing of those purchases?

What has been the feedback from your sales rep? $150K is like 3 complication watches… hard to believe they won’t allocate you a 5167a if you place it at the top of your wishlist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 04:31 PM   #17
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

My understanding is Aquanaut is slightly easier than Nautilus but still very difficult and requires multiple purchases. I highly doubt just one 6119 will get you an Aquanaut, but I'm not in your area so it may be different. I bought a 5172G, Santos, and Speedmaster all within a few months last year but I haven't been able to get anything else yet. Not even a normal 36mm Datejust lol.

I won't say it's impossible since the right connections/introductions/relationships do matter, but the chances of getting one as a first watch is close to zero. If that's the only watch you want I'd say just go grey, you'll spend much less even with the premiums involved and it's guaranteed you'll get the watch.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:18 PM   #18
Jutch
"TRF" Member

From what I’ve been told at the London Salon, they now operate a 1 dress, 1 sports rotation policy. I’m currently waiting for a 5205G as my first and have been told I can get a sports piece next. From what I’ve heard, the Salon doesn’t play silly games like ADs - they’re quite honest and upfront about allocations.

With that being said, I agree with the above - if you can get an intro to the Salon, then I’d try that route.

Not quite the same as what you’re looking for, but a good friend of mine (client of the Salon) was allocated a 5712/1a as his 3rd. He bought a 5212 and 5205R and the 5712/1a came a few weeks after putting his name down.

Jutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:31 PM   #19
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
The journey is not worth it.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:31 PM   #20
byow
"TRF" Member

I know of many examples where people could get the desired timepiece from the three Salons directly, without any additional condition.

These watches include Nautilus and Aquanaut, but also application pieces (for these, there was a deposit and variable wait time. One person was allowed to « order » their « custom » piece, or « pièce unique ».)

This happened before COVID and still happens today. The latest example I know of dates from this year.
Old 23 September 2023, 07:26 PM   #21
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutch View Post
From what I’ve been told at the London Salon, they now operate a 1 dress, 1 sports rotation policy. I’m currently waiting for a 5205G as my first and have been told I can get a sports piece next. From what I’ve heard, the Salon doesn’t play silly games like ADs - they’re quite honest and upfront about allocations.

With that being said, I agree with the above - if you can get an intro to the Salon, then I’d try that route.

Not quite the same as what you’re looking for, but a good friend of mine (client of the Salon) was allocated a 5712/1a as his 3rd. He bought a 5212 and 5205R and the 5712/1a came a few weeks after putting his name down.

But is it true that the Salon only sells to locals only unless you are already a client? I was introduced by a repeated client at the Geneva Salon but was told that they cannot serve new clients who are not local.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 07:48 PM   #22
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
I'm so glad I got mine in 1999 no wait walk in bought it walked out for 5k I think now worth a bit more for what I gather........never selling it so who cares
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 09:46 PM   #23
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
This thread is recent and on point:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...0#post12897750

Good luck, it’s not an easy journey!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 10:52 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Maybe not game playing but definitely strategic selling. This is at a high level not seen in the world of Rolex. I would go on the hunt in the pre-owned/Grey market and just get the information on what this would cost. I will not buy watches/items I do not want, to qualify for something I do. So many great watches that are available across so many brands that I would not consider the course required to acquire this watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 11:13 PM   #25
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I suggest the market was the reason that you got your watch below MSRP. The market always determines pricing.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 12:23 AM   #26
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

This is just gross to me. For that reason I think I dislike this brand, and the games.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 01:05 AM   #27
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I got one (gold) as my first patek, but had gotten 3 steel Rolex, 1 ladies Rolex (though an OP of hard to get dial color), and some other watches I wanted at the AD beforehand. And have long term history at the store of special occasions for jewelry—but nothing near as expensive as the watches. I felt fortunate to get it, even though I have history at the store. Never have had to buy anything I didn’t want — I said I wasn’t interested in a Calatrava.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 01:23 AM   #28
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

My local AD is requiring expensive jewelry / diamonds / other garbage to be "considered" .

It's a complete shame Patek allows this.
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 02:28 AM   #29
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

It depends on the AD, I bought a PC (not a popular one), then came a gold Aquanaut, after that a Nautilus arrived. All within last year. No prior purchase history with that AD
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 02:29 AM   #30
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcollector View Post
My local AD is requiring expensive jewelry / diamonds / other garbage to be "considered" .

It's a complete shame Patek allows this.
They won't allow it, you can report it to Patek
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote