The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 October 2023, 05:52 AM   #1
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Pelagos 39 - Regrets? Lume? Success?

Hi -

I've been feeling acquisitive and thinking about maybe adding another Tudor to the collection. I've been focusing on the BB54 and the Pelagos 39.

For the Pelagos 39 - those of you who currently own or have formerly owned the watch or have other experience with it - Do you have any regrets or concerns about the watch? Do you have any success stories.

Finally, there are several posts here about the lume - but is that a big enough reason to not buy the watch? Has the problem been resolved? I've been reading contradictory reviews/posts on this front.

I welcome any feedback....
WatchThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 06:08 AM   #2
MSL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270,15010,P39
Great watch,no complaints with either clasp or lume.Thinking of adding 54.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 06:09 AM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThinker View Post
Hi -

I've been feeling acquisitive and thinking about maybe adding another Tudor to the collection. I've been focusing on the BB54 and the Pelagos 39.

For the Pelagos 39 - those of you who currently own or have formerly owned the watch or have other experience with it - Do you have any regrets or concerns about the watch? Do you have any success stories.

Finally, there are several posts here about the lume - but is that a big enough reason to not buy the watch? Has the problem been resolved? I've been reading contradictory reviews/posts on this front.

I welcome any feedback....
Don’t ask, but I’ve had the watch twice. It’s very nice but it’s a bit sterile. I’m also never sure about titanium bracelets as they are quite dark grey/ dull looking.

I bought an fxd a month ago and much prefer it if I’m honest. Wears much smaller than you think and for me has more character than the 39.

Nice watch however. Any go wrong with either and the new black fxd looks good too if the blue doesn’t float your boat (there is one in my AD window)
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 06:21 AM   #4
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Don’t ask, but I’ve had the watch twice. It’s very nice but it’s a bit sterile. I’m also never sure about titanium bracelets as they are quite dark grey/ dull looking.

I bought an fxd a month ago and much prefer it if I’m honest. Wears much smaller than you think and for me has more character than the 39.

Nice watch however. Any go wrong with either and the new black fxd looks good too if the blue doesn’t float your boat (there is one in my AD window)
I love the idea of the FXD - but the long lug to lug has me shying away. I've got a 6.8" but very flat wrist. I can wear longer lengths - but have been shying away from them of late.
Old 5 October 2023, 06:34 AM   #5
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I had the Pelagos 39 briefly. Bought from a grey dealer without having seen 1st. Didn’t really enjoy it. Something g about the dial and bezel just seemed off IMO.
Have the BB 54 now and love it
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 06:46 AM   #6
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
I had the Pelagos 39 briefly. Bought from a grey dealer without having seen 1st. Didn’t really enjoy it. Something g about the dial and bezel just seemed off IMO.
Have the BB 54 now and love it
I'd had the BB54 on wrist, way-too-briefly, and immediately it as being too small. But I'd been wearing a Panerai all week. Went back to look at my own photos on wrist and can't imagine what I was thinking. Waiting to try it again to compare 39 and 54.
Old 5 October 2023, 07:23 AM   #7
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I love the idea of the FXD - but the long lug to lug has me shying away. I've got a 6.8" but very flat wrist. I can wear longer lengths - but have been shying away from them of late.
That was my fear as well until I tried it on my 6.5" wrist. Because its case back is also very flat, it wears extremely well.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 07:08 PM   #8
stefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/214270
I have had a P39 for a while now and for me it is the perfect dive watch and certainly my fav of all the ones I have owned. I admit I do really like titanium both due to the appearance but also the comfort that the light weight offers.
The Tfit clasp is superb and although the lume is slightly less on the hands than the markers it is still excellent.

Funny enough I went into the AD to buy the BB54 but just found it a bit dull but saw the P39 while I was there and for me it was no contest. We are all different!
I would strongly recommend.
stefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 08:48 PM   #9
davek35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd had the BB54 on wrist, way-too-briefly, and immediately it as being too small. .....
I have 7.25" wrist, but I like smaller "traditional" watches. My 124270 is a favorite.

When the BB54 was announced I knew I wanted one. Yes it seemed small compared to all the Tudor and Rolex watches in the cases at the AD.

I bought it anyway. I'm glad I did. Sold my P39 and BB58 watches. The 54 is that good (for me).

The P39 bracelet had sharp edges on my wrist, so that was sort of an easy decision to sell.
davek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 09:13 PM   #10
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

Its a fantastic watch in every way and probably the only watch you ever need. Light, durable, legible and looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor Pelagos Lume.jpg (114.5 KB, 720 views)
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 09:29 PM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I wear my 39 on rubber and enjoy it a lot as a no frills beater when I don’t want something nicer. Something about the clasp I didn’t love, it kinda hangs down from the links on one side if that makes any sense. And I must have a cursed wrist, my 6.6-6.7 voids any t fit I’ve tried so far somehow. The bb pro, 54, 41 burgundy, and 39 all needed it out all the way.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 12:12 AM   #12
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I wear my 39 on rubber and enjoy it a lot as a no frills beater when I don’t want something nicer. Something about the clasp I didn’t love, it kinda hangs down from the links on one side if that makes any sense. And I must have a cursed wrist, my 6.6-6.7 voids any t fit I’ve tried so far somehow. The bb pro, 54, 41 burgundy, and 39 all needed it out all the way.
i get what you meant, the inner clasp doesn't sit well within the clasp, so it hangs down.

still a great watch, wearable and it's under the radar, only wished it was matte ceramic bezel and dial
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 01:15 AM   #13
Barra1023
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I got a 39 to rotate with my 116500LN. At first I was a bit meh about it but now it has totally grown on me and I admittedly wear it more than my panda Daytona. The bezel and dial contrast great with the dark titanium color and the red lettering gives it a really appealing touch… for the price and practicality of it, I don’t think you can go wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barra1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 01:23 AM   #14
Phlippe
2024 Pledge Member

Pelagos 39 - Regrets? Lume? Success?

I have a Pelagos 39, FXD & old Tudor Submariner. I beat the poop out of that Sub daily for 29 years until it finally went in for service and Rolex sent a nice note back after fixing it saying that it was time for me to buy a new watch as parts were now very rare for my Tudor Sub. The 39 is the closest watch reissued to the old Sub. The 39 has one negative and that’s the Tudor shield that sticks out on the bracelet lock clasp. It can stab you if not carful if opening the lock latch with your thumb. The glide clasp lock on the Pelagos 39 is very convenient, I wish it was on all watches as it feels no thinker than a normal clasp though maybe feels slightly longer. As for the Lume it’s great with no issues. A modern tool/diver watch should have lumed bezel numbers in this day. As for the FXD, if James Bond was to pick a modern dive watch today it would be a Tudor FXD, as it works well under water. I know some people don’t realize a Tudor/Rolex can get wet but if a watch is not going to be worn for its intended purpose then people should buy a dress watch. The Tudor 54 is the size of the original Rolex Sub at 37mm. If you want an original Sub size watch you have two choices, the Yachtmaster 37mm or the Tudor Black Bay 54 at 37mm. My old Tudor 75090 Sub was also 37mm. The FXD at 42/43mm is much easier to see under water. The old Tudor Subs were built in 39, 37 & 35. The Pelagos 39 Ti is a very lightweight watch. The BB54 has the weight of the old sub. Personally I prefer flat crystal watches so I find myself wearing my Pelagos 39 more than my BB925. If your collection is small the BB54 is the more versatile watch, however the Pelagos 39 is the better tool watch. Good luck!
Phlippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 01:23 AM   #15
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

True or False - The Pelagos 39 is akin to a 5-digit Submariner (14060M)?
illiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 01:28 AM   #16
Phlippe
2024 Pledge Member

Pelagos 39 vs FXD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6 October 2023, 01:29 AM   #17
Phlippe
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post

True

Old 6 October 2023, 01:41 AM   #18
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Hi -

I've been feeling acquisitive ...
Very well put This forum is full of acquisitive people

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 01:43 AM   #19
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

The P39 has been such a joy to own. I was on the hunt for a perfect black dial/bezel watch and when it was announced I knew it was the 1. The bezel/dial need to be seen in person, I don't think pictures do either justice. Has just enough pop/character to offset the dullness (in a good way) of the titanium. I've not noticed a difference in lume between the hands and the rest but I'm not awake long enough to see if the hands fade faster. The size is awesome and makes it effortless to wear. I love the snowflake hands/block markers from the old Tudor Sub and this is as close as a reissue I think they will release. Certainly don't see Submariner making it's way downstream. It's the watch I wear most and it's really cut into my other pieces seeing action. I would recommend it 100%.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 02:36 AM   #20
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Feels more like a 5513 . Sits flat on wrist unlike the 11460. Light but not too light. Overall the 39 is a great watch . The bracelet adjustment makes the watch comfortable to wear at all times. My Daytona isn’t getting much rest time since I bought my 39.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 02:44 AM   #21
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlippe View Post
... I beat the poop out of that Sub daily for 29 years until it finally went in for service and Rolex sent a nice note back after fixing it saying that it was time for me to buy a new watch as parts were now very rare for my Tudor Sub.
That is on of the most satisfying things I have ever read
Old 6 October 2023, 03:59 AM   #22
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I've had to get a 1/2 link for the t-fit clasp. Without it, I either have to wear all the way out or all the way in.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 04:10 AM   #23
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Pelagos 39 vs FXD

This is super helpful ( and makes the FXD look A-Mazing btw).
Old 6 October 2023, 07:13 AM   #24
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention, not sure if anyone else did. The 21mm lug width. I don't change straps so not an issue for me. I actually like the 21mm width because it gives the bracelet an even. Over taper to me vs 20mm.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 09:32 AM   #25
David5807
"TRF" Member

Go with the Pelagos 39. It's a very comfortable and great looking watch.
[IMG][/IMG]
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 10:38 AM   #26
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
I have a Pelagos 39, FXD & old Tudor Submariner. I beat the poop out of that Sub daily for 29 years until it finally went in for service and Rolex sent a nice note back after fixing it saying that it was time for me to buy a new watch as parts were now very rare for my Tudor Sub. The 39 is the closest watch reissued to the old Sub. The 39 has one negative and that’s the Tudor shield that sticks out on the bracelet lock clasp. It can stab you if not carful if opening the lock latch with your thumb. The glide clasp lock on the Pelagos 39 is very convenient, I wish it was on all watches as it feels no thinker than a normal clasp though maybe feels slightly longer. As for the Lume it’s great with no issues. A modern tool/diver watch should have lumed bezel numbers in this day. As for the FXD, if James Bond was to pick a modern dive watch today it would be a Tudor FXD, as it works well under water. I know some people don’t realize a Tudor/Rolex can get wet but if a watch is not going to be worn for its intended purpose then people should buy a dress watch. The Tudor 54 is the size of the original Rolex Sub at 37mm. If you want an original Sub size watch you have two choices, the Yachtmaster 37mm or the Tudor Black Bay 54 at 37mm. My old Tudor 75090 Sub was also 37mm. The FXD at 42/43mm is much easier to see under water. The old Tudor Subs were built in 39, 37 & 35. The Pelagos 39 Ti is a very lightweight watch. The BB54 has the weight of the old sub. Personally I prefer flat crystal watches so I find myself wearing my Pelagos 39 more than my BB925. If your collection is small the BB54 is the more versatile watch, however the Pelagos 39 is the better tool watch. Good luck!
That's concerning to hear, because I have a 1982 Tudor blue sub that needs servicing. What exactly did they tell you in this letter?

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 11:10 AM   #27
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

Love my pelagos 39. Superb watch for the price. So comfy but not in a cheap light way. Still feels premium to me and I have a lot of watches to compare too.
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 11:35 AM   #28
HEDHNTR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Snoopy 50th
I bought it, and after 2 months of ownership, decided to let it go. It's a good watch, and the bracelet is close to perfect (except for the sharp Tudor shield, as mentioned). I'm personally just a fan of feeling a bit of weight on my watches, and the titanium and I didn't click. YMMV.
HEDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 11:37 AM   #29
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Sold mine after a week. Titanium just felt to cheap to me.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 03:21 PM   #30
baamvino
"TRF" Member

Really great watch if you like divers
baamvino is offline   Reply With Quote