The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 October 2023, 09:04 AM   #1
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Extortion

https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...han-you-think/

I am glad at least some popular watch blogs are calling a spade a spade. Whether you agree or not that Rolex AD practices are extortion, it is a good read.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 09:11 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Hopefully, secondary prices will continue to drop so more inventory is available in the stores. The watch buying crowd will lessen when there is a real cost of depreciation in just taking the watch out of the store.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 09:28 AM   #3
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I think the market is gonna be hot for awhile. By that I mean a long while
Old 7 October 2023, 09:43 AM   #4
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
I think the market is gonna be hot for awhile. By that I mean a long while
Agree

These prices aren’t going anywhere… best time to buy was yesterday
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 10:01 AM   #5
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Agree

These prices aren’t going anywhere… best time to buy was yesterday
These are just price corrections. Rolex is just like housing market give track record of last 50 years
Old 7 October 2023, 10:05 AM   #6
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Hot market? I'm assuuming that's a joke lol...

Many of the in-demand Rolex watches from 1 year ago have dropped nearly 50% from their peak on the secondary market. Most are approaching MSRP or are already below. There are a tiny few outliers, steel Daytonas and meteorite Daytona's remain close to 2x MSRP. We may not see WG Subs in the mid 20's for instance but close, almost all models can be readily purchased from a wide varity of grey market sellers and the average buyer, only buying to flip will find significantly reduced offers from the grey market.
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 11:40 AM   #7
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitdc View Post
Hot market? I'm assuuming that's a joke lol...

Many of the in-demand Rolex watches from 1 year ago have dropped nearly 50% from their peak on the secondary market. Most are approaching MSRP or are already below. There are a tiny few outliers, steel Daytonas and meteorite Daytona's remain close to 2x MSRP. We may not see WG Subs in the mid 20's for instance but close, almost all models can be readily purchased from a wide varity of grey market sellers and the average buyer, only buying to flip will find significantly reduced offers from the grey market.
You are only describing the market back in 2017 which. We are all fine with.
Old 7 October 2023, 12:37 PM   #8
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...han-you-think/

I am glad at least some popular watch blogs are calling a spade a spade. Whether you agree or not that Rolex AD practices are extortion, it is a good read.
Not sure whether I would call it actual extortion albeit I agree it rightfully does feel like extortion.

Rolex has empowered ADs to call the shots as they see fit; which is intelligent in and of itself as Rolex can always pull the "that's up to the AD, we don't deal with retail" card and blame the ADs.

Aside from that, when you think of Rolex's consumer stratgegy, i.e., using primarily jewelry businesses (which they themselves call Rolex Jewelers), the extortion-like approach is smart business on behalf of the AD.

ADs make ~40% margin on Rolex and anywhere from 60%+ on jewelry. If Rolex/Tudor is all you sell and you start adding up what you have invested in a boutique refresh, retail rent, etc. you have no choice but to squeeze every dollar you can out of every sale, especially since you can't control stock and are at the mercy of Rolex. Rolex in this case is to blame, as they are the ones who created this environment to an extent. If they controlled the retail channel, they could employ better controls around who gets watches based on watch buying history, etc.

Many will tell you they would rather pay "market" on their favorite watch rather than build a history/get extorted just to keep waiting year over year with false hope because someone of the forum posted a white dial 116500 with the topic "GOT THE CALL!"
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 01:06 PM   #9
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
Risk free rate now 5%. Rolex yields nothing. Free money over. Prices have 30-50% further to fall and demand will evaporate. Winter is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrist King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 02:09 PM   #10
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist King View Post
Risk free rate now 5%. Rolex yields nothing. Free money over. Prices have 30-50% further to fall and demand will evaporate. Winter is coming.

This would be nice.

Don’t forget all the buyers who bought for investment purposes- once they see their investments continue to dip we may see an influx of for sales from private sellers and grey dealers

Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 02:15 PM   #11
Pablito
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Totally agree. Maybe those who are trying to convince themselves that the market is still hot are truly denying and mostly don’t want to see their « investment » devalued 😂. On my side, I can live with the fact that a part of my collection doesn’t worth the hype anymore. Only the SS Daytona and some meteorite stuff remain in a 2X range.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 04:25 PM   #12
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
You are only describing the market back in 2017 which. We are all fine with.
Agree.
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 04:59 PM   #13
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:

LOL! i hope so, but i don't buy it.

you're telling me a nautilus will be 40-50k again? where do i send the wire?
Old 7 October 2023, 05:08 PM   #14
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post

You mean when 5711s were selling for 17k on David?

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 05:19 PM   #15
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

I see people have so much hope that Rolex will indeed increase production and the AD cases will be filled to the brim, bursting at the seams with all ones favorites...GMTS, Subs, EXP2, Daytonas!! (well maybe not..lol)..

Well, while Rolex may be preparing for more production, who is to say what references those will be?

Odds on they will crank out high factory margin TT DJ and keep the Professional watches in check to fuel FOMO..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 06:05 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Extortion? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha. It's a watch, not oxygen, insulin or fresh drinking water.

Where is the original content in that mass of second hand, regurgitated and recycled copy? Let's read the Rolex forum for 2 weeks, assemble all the anecdotes, opinions and observations, paste paste them in, add a bit of commonly known background information, add some padding and pretend we've come up with something original. Beats working, although I'm sure they slaved over the spell check for minutes.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 06:07 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I see people have so much hope that Rolex will indeed increase production and the AD cases will be filled to the brim, bursting at the seams with all ones favorites...GMTS, Subs, EXP2, Daytonas!! (well maybe not..lol)..

Well, while Rolex may be preparing for more production, who is to say what references those will be?

Odds on they will crank out high factory margin TT DJ and keep the Professional watches in check to fuel FOMO..
And/or, this new plant may be more about operating efficiency and less about cranking out more watches
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 08:15 PM   #18
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
If they do that Rolex will destroy their own market. Rolex will be seen as a common brand and lose its allure for the opportunist buyer.
Old 7 October 2023, 10:32 PM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Strong word…
Can’t disagree.

Simplest solution is to withhold that cash.
Let the ADs choke on their stock for a year.

Customer doesn’t need the product…
Product must have a customer to survive.

Of course this will not happen.
Old 7 October 2023, 10:59 PM   #20
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex is the master of their destiny and is always 12 moves ahead of maintaining the brand. Rolex will not go back to filled display cases..
Old 7 October 2023, 11:12 PM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post

I think he was referring to Rolex.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 11:18 PM   #22
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Extortion? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha. It's a watch, not oxygen, insulin or fresh drinking water.
Old 7 October 2023, 11:33 PM   #23
ol' Rex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
So, if having to establish a purchase-history with an AD in order to get a highly sought-after model is "extortion", what is the correct term for paying a used watch salesman 3 times the retail price?

I can think of a few words that fit, but I doubt that they are allowed on this forum...

Old 7 October 2023, 11:59 PM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
And/or, this new plant may be more about operating efficiency and less about cranking out more watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Rolex is the master of their destiny and is always 12 moves ahead of maintaining the brand. Rolex will not go back to filled display cases..
I would have to agree. I think it would be naive to presume we're all getting a call based on a new production plant. There are a LOT of moving parts between that and a glut of watches at the AD.

I'll happily stand corrected if wrong, though.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2023, 01:15 AM   #25
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
I do hope the prices continue to fall in the secondary market. It makes some of the watches I would really like to have more attainable, even from other brands.

I agree with some of the comments above, free money is over. The speculation boom in non-essential markets like watches is at a stand still, it will reduce grey prices back to normal levels. AD's will certianly be calling more but for a lot DJ's and lady DJ's, the desireable steel sports models will remain aftifically more challenging to buy from the AD for a bit longer. But once again there will be plenty available with attractive prices from secondary sellers. Which is a good thing in my opinion.
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2023, 01:33 AM   #26
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

History repeats, repeatedly.

Yields up. “Soft landing” lol. We will see a correction. In some areas severe (eg commercial real estate, some areas of residential RE too) but never as bad or sustained as pundits will call for.

Why? Because every action has an equal and opposite reaction. With the Fed/govt the reaction will (predictably) be too late and too much. They will cut rates because the main factors driving inflation today will get wiped out (and more) before Rolexes correct > additional 25% from here.

The cycle will start anew.

The flippers will get hammered, especially those with leverage. Some businesses built up on this “excess false demand predicated on the next fool” will also be wiped out. Lots of companies built to excessive capacity (Rolex is NOT one of them btw).

But Daytonas won’t start filling shelves. It won’t happen. Subs will be available, DJ at a modest discount. Some will drop more sharply still. But the permanence of 7.5% mortgages is unlikely because of what it implies on the affordability side. Something will break.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2023, 02:13 AM   #27
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
You mean when 5711s were selling for 17k on David?
Did they really used to cost that?!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2023, 10:48 AM   #28
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

Quote:

From the guy who’s waited 4 years for a no date sub lol
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2023, 02:13 PM   #29
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Did they really used to cost that?!
yep
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2023, 06:37 PM   #30
cleansocks
"TRF" Member

Rolex artificially lowers the price of their watches at authorized dealers below market. This creates a sense of adventure and hope for people to try to get in on this special price. It drives customers to the stores that sell their brand, and these stores can then take advantage of that excess demand, using perfectly legitimate sales tactics or relationship building. If Rolex just let their ADs sell for market price then there would be no accusations of extortion but also no hope for people to get good deals. I think most people that whine about not being able to get it at "list" would still prefer the possibility of getting it at list than having to pay the real market value. I don't really understand rolex's business model forcing ADs to sell at list given how much unwarranted contempt it creates
cleansocks is online now   Reply With Quote