The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 November 2023, 07:29 AM   #1
Sauzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snoopy
Question for Daytona owners

For the 30 min right sub dial, how do you count the minutes? If you go by the indices, there are only 3 per every 5 min marker. And if you try to split the “10”, “20”, or “30” into counting as 2 mins, it’s still off.
Sauzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 07:56 AM   #2
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Starting from the 5 minute mark, you see markers for 6, 7 and 8 minutes. The hand than moves between the 8 and 10 minute marker to show 9 minutes.

Minute 11 also has no marked but lies between the 10 minute and 12th minute marker.

Hope that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 07:59 AM   #3
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

The below photo shows the counter after 1 minute. Hopefully this helps alongside my above attempt at an explanation…

Old 12 November 2023, 09:04 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Good information to know.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:10 AM   #5
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
The harder question to answer is how do you tell if you’re before or after the half hour mark?
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:21 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
The harder question to answer is how do you tell if you’re before or after the half hour mark?
You can see it. It’s easier than you think. Once you use it a few times it’s fairly clear.
Old 12 November 2023, 09:22 AM   #7
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The chronograph minute hand doesn’t tick over until it hits 60 seconds. So it’s not like the minute hand that moves continuously with the seconds.

So basically if it’s right on 30, then it means you’re in 30 mins + whatever seconds.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:25 AM   #8
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
The chronograph minute hand doesn’t tick over until it hits 60 seconds. So it’s not like the minute hand that moves continuously with the seconds.

So basically if it’s right on 30, then it means you’re in 30 mins + whatever seconds.
I meant the half hour of the hour sub register. It sometimes goes to the half hour marker not exactly at the 31 minute mark
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:28 AM   #9
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

The funny this about this thread, is that I’ve only used the chronograph once on my Daytona and when I did, it was how many minutes have &$@“ed passed.

Now looking at it closer over 10 minutes it’s pretty clear. Exactly as cooper says.

Easier way to explain it is at the numerals 10/20/30 it covers 3 minutes each. ie in the middle of 10, it’s 10. Slightly before it’s 9. Slightly after its 11.
Old 12 November 2023, 09:32 AM   #10
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I meant the half hour of the hour sub register. It sometimes goes to the half hour marker not exactly at the 31 minute mark
I don’t think I follow. The hour sub dial moves continuously with the minutes. So you’ll see it slowly make its way to the first index which is the first hour. You can’t really tell how many minutes has passed without looking at the minute subdial.

If you’re asking if you’re in the first minute or at 31 minutes when looking at the minute subdial, it’s pretty easy to look at the hour subdial and see that it’s somewhere in the middle of 12 and the first hour index.
Old 12 November 2023, 10:44 AM   #11
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I really don’t understand this thread.

You just look at the dials and it tells you the time elapsed.

It’s not hard to see where the minute counter is pointing and the hours dial hits exactly 1 when it actually is 1 hour. If for example it says 28 mins and the hour hand is just before 1 then the elapsed time is 58 mins.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 10:58 AM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It counts the minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 11:48 AM   #13
Sauzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snoopy
Quote:
The funny this about this thread, is that I’ve only used the chronograph once on my Daytona and when I did, it was how many minutes have &$@“ed passed.

Now looking at it closer over 10 minutes it’s pretty clear. Exactly as cooper says.

Easier way to explain it is at the numerals 10/20/30 it covers 3 minutes each. ie in the middle of 10, it’s 10. Slightly before it’s 9. Slightly after its 11.
Thanks. I got it now with the actually numbers covering 3 mins. Makes sense now. I kept thinking ok if the 0 in 10, 20, or 30 represents 1 min and the the 0 represents the other min, then where is the actual 10,20, and 30.

And lol, I was thinking the same thing of how the f you count the minutes. Thanks.
Sauzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 01:29 PM   #14
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I really don’t understand this thread.

You just look at the dials and it tells you the time elapsed.

It’s not hard to see where the minute counter is pointing and the hours dial hits exactly 1 when it actually is 1 hour. If for example it says 28 mins and the hour hand is just before 1 then the elapsed time is 58 mins.
If you get a Daytona and 9 minutes and 10 seconds has elapsed, you’re going to look at the watch and wonder if it has been 8 minutes and 10 seconds, 9 minutes and 10 seconds, or 10 minutes and 10 seconds.

Unless you know:

1. Each numeral marker covers 3 minutes,

2. and the minute hand only ticks over after the 60 second mark

It won’t be readily apparent.

Neither follow usual “watch logic”. Typical numeral markers only represent that one value, obviously Rolex couldn’t fit it on the subdial. Also the 5 minute markers are dead on. So you might think the 10 minute marker would be too. Also most minute hands are continuous, they don’t tick over like the date does at midnight.
Old 12 November 2023, 03:26 PM   #15
Andad

Watch: A few.
If you think the minute marker has an issue consider the seconds stopwatch hand - the dial is graduated in 1/5th of a second increments but the hand ‘ticks’ 8 times/second.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 02:10 AM   #16
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for expanding upon and simplifying my answer Rollieo

Old 13 November 2023, 03:33 AM   #17
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
This is one thing that has always annoyed me about the Daytona and why when it comes to a Chrono I prefer the Speedmaster, pretty much everything else I go Rolex over Omega.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 06:27 AM   #18
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
Starting from the 5 minute mark, you see markers for 6, 7 and 8 minutes. The hand than moves between the 8 and 10 minute marker to show 9 minutes.

Minute 11 also has no marked but lies between the 10 minute and 12th minute marker.

Hope that makes sense

This explanation of the 30min subdial is the most confusing i have ever read! Just tell the OP that the markers at 10,20,30 (or zero) cover the plus/minus 1 minute, i.e. 9-11, 19-21, and 29-1 respectively.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 07:45 PM   #19
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
I don't own a daytona for this reason.Useless in real life.
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 06:52 AM   #20
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
I don't own a daytona for this reason.Useless in real life.
The reality is no one buys a Daytona because they need a chronograph. That’s akin to people buying a $10k or $40k watch because they need to tell the time. Or conversely saying that you don’t want to buy a sub because you’re not going to dive 1000ft.

The chronograph makes the Daytona what it is and the chronograph on the Daytona has an incredible design aesthetic.

That’s not to say the chronograph is non functional, it absolutely is if you know what you’re looking at.
Old 14 November 2023, 07:02 AM   #21
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The reality is no one buys a Daytona because they need a chronograph. That’s akin to people buying a $10k or $40k watch because they need to tell the time. Or conversely saying that you don’t want to buy a sub because you’re not going to dive 1000ft.

The chronograph makes the Daytona what it is and the chronograph on the Daytona has an incredible design aesthetic.

That’s not to say the chronograph is non functional, it absolutely is if you know what you’re looking at.
One of our members bought a platinum daytona and used it to time his lap times.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=588588

The comments about not using a Daytona to time, with it being aesthetic or not fit for purpose (little harsh - but comments about hard to read) perplexes me. I agree a lot of people buy it for its hype but as a chronograph collector I use them all the time for various things and never have an issue with any of them.

I own some 36mm chronographs and they are hard to read due to sizing. Ultimately all of them function perfectly and I have no issues using them as intended.

The speedmaster which often gets referenced as better is 42mm for readability but its contrasting sub dial variants (e.g. CK2998 pulsometer) are the most legible. I personally find the latest professional speedies harder to read with their longer hash marks than the earlier variants e.g. CK2915, the original, with its small hashes. In the absence of contrasting sub dials, the smaller hashes make it easy to quickly determine what minute you are at.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 12:09 PM   #22
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One of our members bought a platinum daytona and used it to time his lap times.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=588588

The comments about not using a Daytona to time, with it being aesthetic or not fit for purpose (little harsh - but comments about hard to read) perplexes me. I agree a lot of people buy it for its hype but as a chronograph collector I use them all the time for various things and never have an issue with any of them.

I own some 36mm chronographs and they are hard to read due to sizing. Ultimately all of them function perfectly and I have no issues using them as intended.

The speedmaster which often gets referenced as better is 42mm for readability but its contrasting sub dial variants (e.g. CK2998 pulsometer) are the most legible. I personally find the latest professional speedies harder to read with their longer hash marks than the earlier variants e.g. CK2915, the original, with its small hashes. In the absence of contrasting sub dials, the smaller hashes make it easy to quickly determine what minute you are at.
Agreed and fair point. I shouldn’t use absolute terms like “no one”, as I agree too there are people that buy subs who actually do deep sea diving.

Also agreed that the Daytona absolutely can be used for timing things, it was confusing initially how it was laid out, but once you know it’s easy to use it as a chronograph.
Old 14 November 2023, 12:39 PM   #23
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Question for Daytona owners

Quote:
I personally find the latest professional speedies harder to read with their longer hash marks than the earlier variants e.g. CK2915, the original, with its small hashes. In the absence of contrasting sub dials, the smaller hashes make it easy to quickly determine what minute you are at.
Careful. I mentioned a similar experience with an Omega Speedmaster albeit a reduced and got blasted for it

Not sure if it’s the same for you but all those white lines start to blend together for me especially when quick glancing to reference time/chronograph. Have tried it with a new professional as well when they were released last year and same result.

I’m far from a Daytona fan but the difference in hour markers, hands, and minute track are much more discernible.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 12:46 PM   #24
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I can't see that $hit without reading glasses. The watch I bought after the Daytona was a Sea-Dweller and all future Rolex purchases will be based on legibility.

The only chrono I've used for it's actual purpose was nearly 20 years ago I was still punching a clock and had a Breitling Avenger that I used to time my breaks and lunches because they were tracked by my employer.

My career has gone one direction while my eyes have gone the opposite.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 12:41 PM   #25
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
I can't see that $hit without reading glasses. The watch I bought after the Daytona was a Sea-Dweller and all future Rolex purchases will be based on legibility.

The only chrono I've used for it's actual purpose was nearly 20 years ago I was still punching a clock and had a Breitling Avenger that I used to time my breaks and lunches because they were tracked by my employer.

My career has gone one direction while my eyes have gone the opposite.
Agree with you “pops”. Lol. Sub is much easier to read!
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 06:51 PM   #26
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
For the 30 min right sub dial, how do you count the minutes? If you go by the indices, there are only 3 per every 5 min marker. And if you try to split the “10”, “20”, or “30” into counting as 2 mins, it’s still off.
Wish my eyesight was good enough to even see them….my daytona is just a blur these days lol