The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2024, 03:04 AM   #1
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Visiting my AD Essex U.K

So.... made time to pop into my AD today.

Background
I've bought 2 Tudors and 2 Rolex from them in the last 3/4 years as well a small 2/3k jewellery spend. I probably visit about 3/4 times a year. I know several employees pretty well. Always send a happy new year email and then normally one after a visit to say thanks regardless.

So today they had pretty much everything in store, sprite, Daytona panda and reverse, root beer, air king, OP 36 Tiffany, Batman, Pepsi, loads of date justs and a selection of DJ. Nothing platinum or meteorite level but still most I've seen in ages.

I know for a fact they have to display 40 pieces now and can sell everything. You'll never know what's out back but I was assured they are due a delivery soon.

I'm currently down for an OP41 green or blue and a particular date just in blue jubilee non fluted. Both were on display but "sold' already. A little disheartening as I made it clear I was ready to buy.

They let me try on the new daytona. It's very wow. I was however told I wouldn't stand a chance of getting one. Little disappointing as never is very damning

I remained polite and felt it was still a worthy visit. The manager passed comment on the sub on my wrist (she sold me it). On leaving she said she'd call me when she has one of mine available for me.

A day in the life of a watch lover from London.
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:16 AM   #2
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Hi, my AD may be able to help you on the date just. PM if you’d like
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:21 AM   #3
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Did they say why they’d never sell you a Daytona? That’s crazy to not even leave the door open if you were to spend xyz amount.
MRBolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:30 AM   #4
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Did they say why they’d never sell you a Daytona? That’s crazy to not even leave the door open if you were to spend xyz amount.
"You know that won't happen" I believe the words were. In some some way I appreciate the honesty

But I don't get who does get them? They've only been and Rolex AD about 3 years and I've been w customer from inception

I've had 4 watches. Nothing remotely rare and just thought I'd keep plodding awaiting something special one day
Old 6 February 2024, 03:34 AM   #5
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeromeo View Post
"You know that won't happen" I believe the words were. In some some way I appreciate the honesty

But I don't get who does get them? They've only been and Rolex AD about 3 years and I've been w customer from inception

I've had 4 watches. Nothing remotely rare and just thought I'd keep plodding awaiting something special one day

That’s terrible service. I agree about the honesty aspect, but wow! I always wonder what Rolex thinks of ADs who do this.
MRBolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:36 AM   #6
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

I think as long as the AD adheres to rules like displaying the right amount etc how they distribute comes second. My ADs are lovely people and really know their watches but getting on th it elite list I believe is above my spending ability
Old 6 February 2024, 04:18 AM   #7
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
"You know that won't happen"

AD's can jump off a dyke as far as I'm concerned.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 04:22 AM   #8
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post

I get that and I have moments feeling like that but paying double retail for something I want also doesn't do it for me either !

I will just plod, I'm not in a rush at least
Old 6 February 2024, 04:33 AM   #9
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

I was recently told by a Manchester AD that Rolex UK now requires dealers to show several pieces of the Rolex range for a certain amount of time so that customers no longer have to experience empty showcases.rolex decides which pieces and tells the AD how long they have to be on display.
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 05:17 AM   #10
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva1985 View Post
I was recently told by a Manchester AD that Rolex UK now requires dealers to show several pieces of the Rolex range for a certain amount of time so that customers no longer have to experience empty showcases.rolex decides which pieces and tells the AD how long they have to be on display.

Yes they are being encouraged to show and have items available to show customers.

In my ADS case they can sale as long as the keep 40 pieces on display for that above reasons
Old 6 February 2024, 08:40 AM   #11
Space1970
"TRF" Member

Hmm...

Can't be Goldsmiths Chelmsford as I check their inventory every few days
So that's Goldsmiths Lakeside or Emson Haig in Colchester (which only aren't listed on Rolex as a dealer in Essex)

Might take a drive to Colchester tomorrow and see what's new there
Space1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 08:46 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I do not think this AD should have told you that you will never get a Daytona from them. That is just not very polite, and things could well change for you there. All they have to say given our SS Daytona allocation we are not taking any further requests at the moment until our list shortens.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 08:54 AM   #13
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Visiting my AD Essex U.K

The next time I visit my AD, I’m going to ask to go on the list for a Daytona, just to see what they say. By no means am I a VIP, but they always treat me like one. I’ll report back…. After what happened over the weekend, I’ll wait awhile for this recon visit, though.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:03 AM   #14
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post

Agreed.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 11:18 AM   #15
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Thats really rude to tell a customer that "they will never get a Daytona".

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 06:51 PM   #16
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Post the response when you eventually pop back in Kat. Thanks
Old 6 February 2024, 06:52 PM   #17
Space1970
"TRF" Member

I’ve been told the same thing here in the UK

I didn’t think it was meant disrespectfully or take it that way

More them managing my expectations and being realistic with their allocations and how many people ahead of me are already waiting on a Daytona

They didn’t encourage me to buy watches and jewellery I didn’t want in order to make it more likely

If I started spending huge amounts with them each year that might change quickly but as it’s not going and we both know it it’s better to know where I stand

As long as it’s said with respect I’d prefer the truth
Old 6 February 2024, 07:20 PM   #18
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I not sure why the RWF ‘s members do not understand that to be allocated Rolex has to do with:
- Yes, how much $ and/ or how long you been a client with them.
- They have, somehow, vetted that you are a try watch lover and not a “flipper”
- but MORE importantly —they like you as a perso!

In my case through experience:

- They know I always liked watches, they know I had inherited some pieces from famiky, that I have curiosity about models and brands, not just Rolex, an appreciation for jewlery, design, never pushy or demanding, bring them repairs, battery replacements, bought some jewlery through the years, client again for a good 10 years (before hype) and have , being told by them, a sense of style with a particular ability to own vintage or new edition watches, not just Rolex.

These are real aspects of a relationship these days with Rolex AD’s :in summary

… history w store, true watch lover/ knowledge, character & personality/charm & style, ability to have, what call “a personal narrative, individuality as a person” all this are much stronger traits than just being a person that spends, spends, spend, but a wise investor on creating a collector.

Most people just “ask for a Rolex” the time spend showing your “personal narrative” and your sense of true unique persona attracts their attention and trust in fitting “the brand”

I wish everyone success in achieving your grails.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 10:24 PM   #19
Space1970
"TRF" Member

I can say with some certainty that with the AD’s I know in the UK ‘liking you’ is far behind ‘how much you spend’ when it comes to allocations

The decisions are made further up the chain at a Goldsniths/WoS and not with any SA I’m talking to

I’m sure at a family owned AD this would be very different but with regional managers/store managers/sales staff changing every 6 months spend history seems to be king

I don’t like that it’s like this as I get on very well with everyone at my local AD but it just is

Maybe it’s just me!
Old 6 February 2024, 10:37 PM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good report. Gives the pikers hope.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 10:51 PM   #21
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeromeo View Post
So.... made time to pop into my AD today.

Background
I've bought 2 Tudors and 2 Rolex from them in the last 3/4 years as well a small 2/3k jewellery spend. I probably visit about 3/4 times a year. I know several employees pretty well. Always send a happy new year email and then normally one after a visit to say thanks regardless.

So today they had pretty much everything in store, sprite, Daytona panda and reverse, root beer, air king, OP 36 Tiffany, Batman, Pepsi, loads of date justs and a selection of DJ. Nothing platinum or meteorite level but still most I've seen in ages.

I know for a fact they have to display 40 pieces now and can sell everything. You'll never know what's out back but I was assured they are due a delivery soon.

I'm currently down for an OP41 green or blue and a particular date just in blue jubilee non fluted. Both were on display but "sold' already. A little disheartening as I made it clear I was ready to buy.

They let me try on the new daytona. It's very wow. I was however told I wouldn't stand a chance of getting one. Little disappointing as never is very damning

I remained polite and felt it was still a worthy visit. The manager passed comment on the sub on my wrist (she sold me it). On leaving she said she'd call me when she has one of mine available for me.

A day in the life of a watch lover from London.
Surprised they let you register in Essex if your from London
dennispennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 09:03 AM   #22
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1970 View Post
I can say with some certainty that with the AD’s I know in the UK ‘liking you’ is far behind ‘how much you spend’ when it comes to allocations
I respectfully disagree.

As a fellow Essex based Rolex enthusiast I can say with absolute certainty that getting on with the AD’ staff is at least equally, if not perhaps even more important than your spend.

Case in point: a good friend of mine who spends wayyyymore than me had a ‘personality clash’ with the manager at ‘my’ AD and was never sold another watch.

In the meantime I’ve had a 43mm SD, a white Daytona, a blue Skydweller, a steel Pepsi, a ND Sub, a YG Sub (albeit that’s not necessarily a ‘hard to get’ piece although I did have to wait a few months) and most recently a John Meyer Daytona.

They even sourced me a ‘Cermit’(?) to during my Grandsons birth year which was delivered to the store on my own birthday.
(The particular relevance being that my son, [my Grandson’s Father] has already been gifted my Hulk and I still have an original LV so the three of us now have ‘the full set’)

My wife and I are also invited to every Rolex event that ‘my’ AD hosts.

I’m not saying “it’s you but trust me, it really isn’t entirely about the spend.

Good luck in your search anyway mate….

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:11 AM   #23
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispennis View Post
Surprised they let you register in Essex if your from London
It's half an hour drive and one of my closest ADs

Plus I was a customer prior to them becoming an AD
Old 7 February 2024, 10:11 AM   #24
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
I respectfully disagree.

As a fellow Essex based Rolex enthusiast I can say with absolute certainty that getting on with the AD’ staff is at least equally, if not perhaps even more important than your spend.

Case in point: a good friend of mine who spends wayyyymore than me had a ‘personality clash’ with the manager at ‘my’ AD and was never sold another watch.

In the meantime I’ve had a 43mm SD, a white Daytona, a blue Skydweller, a steel Pepsi, a ND Sub, a YG Sub (albeit that’s not necessarily a ‘hard to get’ piece although I did have to wait a few months) and most recently a John Meyer Daytona.

They even sourced me a ‘Cermit’(?) to during my Grandsons birth year which was delivered to the store on my own birthday.
(The particular relevance being that my son, [my Grandson’s Father] has already been gifted my Hulk and I still have an original LV so the three of us now have ‘the full set’)

My wife and I are also invited to every Rolex event that ‘my’ AD hosts.

I’m not saying “it’s you but trust me, it really isn’t entirely about the spend.

Good luck in your search anyway mate….
Thanks for the insight
Old 7 February 2024, 05:53 PM   #25
Space1970
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
I respectfully disagree.

:
That’s an gteat selection of watches!
Old 12 February 2024, 04:40 AM   #26
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1970 View Post
That’s an gteat selection of watches!
Thank you.

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 10:43 AM   #27
Subshark1861
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The next time I visit my AD, I’m going to ask to go on the list for a Daytona, just to see what they say. By no means am I a VIP, but they always treat me like one. I’ll report back…. After what happened over the weekend, I’ll wait awhile for this recon visit, though.

Kat

I asked to go on the list for a Daytona this January. The manager said "Sure, but I can't give you a timescale"

We agreed that I would go back in April to look at a selection of OPs. To me, that means an OP this year and Daytona next year, when I happen to turn 60.
Subshark1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 11:00 AM   #28
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subshark1861 View Post
I asked to go on the list for a Daytona this January. The manager said "Sure, but I can't give you a timescale"

We agreed that I would go back in April to look at a selection of OPs. To me, that means an OP this year and Daytona next year, when I happen to turn 60.
Best of luck with that. You may need to buy every OP that they have in stock for the next 2 years to have a chance.
GrailTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 11:33 AM   #29
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffs View Post
Best of luck with that. You may need to buy every OP that they have in stock for the next 2 years to have a chance.

LOL. Was thinking similar thoughts, but didn’t want to tell him.….OP, the reality is that you need a very big spend history to even be considered for a SS Daytona. An OP isn’t going to cut it….

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 05:50 PM   #30
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by painexpert View Post
Thats really rude to tell a customer that "they will never get a Daytona".
They were just being honest and telling him he won’t be allocated a Daytona.

If he’s still on lists with no luck on OP41 and DJ models, a steel Daytona isn’t going to happen. They likely have decades worth of names, plus. VIPs will always jump the lists anyway.

It’s not what he wanted to hear, but in that situation I’d rather hear the truth.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote