The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2024, 05:34 AM   #1
DougUSMC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
First Rolex, help me choose!

Hey all, new member, looking for help making a decision. I'm torn b/w a 124060 and 126600 as my first Rolex.

I've convinced myself that I'm not looking for a daily, and I think I'm in the small minority that actually want to use it to dive!

I don't know if it helps or not, but here's my thought process:
- I will definitely dive 3-6 x per year in it, nothing shockingly deep
- I tried on both at an AD, and the sub felt a bit small for me
- I like the sub no date because it's beautiful in its simplicity and the fact that it's cheaper only enables other new watches sooner
- I like the SD because it feels better on my wrist, I have more coverage if I ever dive mixture and the RED lettering

I'm working on building a history with the AD near me (just bought a Tudor for our oldest as a graduation present, and a used Glashutte for me), with the plans to build up buying history and hopefully getting one of them at retail. If I know myself it will be the first of many, and I think that history will pay off in the long run.

Again, I'm new to the hobby, so thanks for all of the info I've already read on this forum. I would really appreciate any corrections to the thought process / assumptions I laid out above.
DougUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:38 AM   #2
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
If you’re a real diver, then you know a mechanical dive watch like a Submariner is absolutely useless and just an accessory to make you look good. I’m a certified open water diver because I like going diving when I go travelling and never do I wear my sub or any mechanical watch, nor do I see anybody else wear them. They all wear dive computers or electronic dive watches, why in the world would you use your Sub to see how long you’ve been under water instead of checking your dive computer or air pressure gauge? Lol
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:05 AM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
First Rolex, help me choose!

He’s absolutely right. The Submariner is useless underwater. Dive with a GMT instead

kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:10 AM   #4
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Get the larger one, and Wear it to dive, even though you don’t need to do so. Also, thank you for your service..

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:14 AM   #5
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
If the SD feels better on your wrist I would suggest that one. Plus, will be easier to get from AD too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:16 AM   #6
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Go for the SD if it feels best on your wrist size wise.
Old 21 February 2024, 06:49 AM   #7
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: 26
IMHO get the SD. Even when you're not diving with it, it'll still be a good daily watch if it's the one that fits better on your wrist.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 08:09 AM   #8
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
Also, the submariner is rated to 300m. Are you saying you want DSSD because it has better coverage, meaning you’re intending to set a world record for diving depth beyond 300m? Lol
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:37 AM   #9
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

SD43 is the diving watch for you--iconic and heavy duty for us large mammals! My first Rolex was a Submariner I have since gifted to my wife who rocks it on on orange RubberB band.
Wear that watch while diving like Padi did for years! Put some memories and scars on it!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:38 AM   #10
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Doesn’t really matter - either is fine.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, hiking, hill climbing etc and I travel a lot. So I went for an Explorer II partly because I feel like that’s its job. I suppose I could also take it diving and I could wear a sub or a GMT hiking - just felt like I was buying the watch to use it as intended but they would all do the job if you’re not doing anything particularly extreme.

On that basis, in your shoes, maybe I’d go for the sea dweller.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 11:19 AM   #11
DougUSMC

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I appreciate the thoughts and recommendations! I don't know how to reply to multiple posts or click like on this forum, so I'll reply to the first one and throw in some thoughts after...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlddrrr View Post
If you’re a real diver, then you know a mechanical dive watch like a Submariner is absolutely useless and just an accessory to make you look good. I’m a certified open water diver because I like going diving when I go travelling and never do I wear my sub or any mechanical watch, nor do I see anybody else wear them. They all wear dive computers or electronic dive watches, why in the world would you use your Sub to see how long you’ve been under water instead of checking your dive computer or air
pressure gauge? Lol
I think kieselguhr nailed it best, but I also disagree. Mechanical watches aren't useless, I just use them for a different function than you. Most of my dives now are on vacation, like our trip last month on a cruise line. I wore my watch from the boat to the dive shop, from the dive shop to the catamaran, then took it off and put it in my bag b/c I didn't trust it underwater (old Tag, stripped stem). I don't bother w/a dive computer or electronic dive watch b/c they're useless to me - we went down when the dive master said to and came up when she said. After the dives I put my watch back on and wore it for the rest of the day in port, thinking "I really need a watch that doesn't have to come off when I dive".
(And that's about as politely as I can reply to your "If you're a real diver..." snark)

To everyone else, thanks for the feedback on "...if the SD feels better...", that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Not having any experience with Rolex I was also hoping to hear any thoughts on which is considered the "better" watch. Are they really considered to be peers, and equally respected for their performance and longevity? (Other than dlddrrr's thoughtful comment about it not being up to breaking world records...)

I also didn't realize that the sub would be more difficult to get? I've read in a lot of posts that some watches are easier to get than others, but I've been thinking that it was the Daytonas, GMTs, etc that were hard to get?
Old 21 February 2024, 11:37 AM   #12
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Either is great! If you fee the Sub is smallish the get the Sea Dweller as long as you find it comfy. Plus I’ve always thought the SD line was pretty cool for that added uniqueness.
Old 21 February 2024, 12:28 PM   #13
DougUSMC

I think kieselguhr nailed it best, but I also disagree. Mechanical watches aren't useless, I just use them for a different function than you. Most of my dives now are on vacation, like our trip last month on a cruise line. I wore my watch from the boat to the dive shop, from the dive shop to the catamaran, then took it off and put it in my bag b/c I didn't trust it underwater (old Tag, stripped stem). I don't bother w/a dive computer or electronic dive watch b/c they're useless to me - we went down when the dive master said to and came up when she said. After the dives I put my watch back on and wore it for the rest of the day in port, thinking "I really need a watch that doesn't have to come off when I dive".
(And that's about as politely as I can reply to your "If you're a real diver..." snark)

To everyone else, thanks for the feedback on "...if the SD feels better...", that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Not having any experience with Rolex I was also hoping to hear any thoughts on which is considered the "better" watch. Are they really considered to be peers, and equally respected for their performance and longevity? (Other than dlddrrr's thoughtful comment about it not being up to breaking world records...)

I also didn't realize that the sub would be more difficult to get? I've read in a lot of posts that some watches are easier to get than others, but I've been thinking that it was the Daytonas, GMTs, etc that were hard to get?
Old 21 February 2024, 12:36 PM   #14
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Has as been said here before; the SD43 is the same thing as a Sub, but for men. Get the SD
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 01:04 PM   #15
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
What’s your wrist size?

Sub Sub Sub…
Travis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 01:08 PM   #16
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Personal choice of course, there’s no wrong answer. If I were choosing between these two….I’d go SD.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 01:09 PM   #17
APhound
"TRF" Member

I’d suggest the deep sea. Love that watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 01:10 PM   #18
racerx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Has as been said here before; the SD43 is the same thing as a Sub, but for men. Get the SD
What’s that mean?
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:42 PM   #19
BigNasty66
"TRF" Member

It all depends on what you really want, the SD will be a good IMO.
BigNasty66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 08:49 PM   #20
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
If the SD feels better on your wrist and the Sub feels small, that should tell you right there.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:05 PM   #21
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
New submariners feel amazing on wrist, I have a DSSD as well. Both are fine dive watches, you may find a submariner is easier to live with in the long run.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:12 PM   #22
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
New submariners feel amazing on wrist, I have a DSSD as well. Both are fine dive watches, you may find a submariner is easier to live with in the long run.
Exactly, I had a SD43 for about 5 years and finally trade it towards a new Sub41 date. The SD43 ended up taking up space in the collection because it was not being worn due to its uncomfortable characteristics. Though the SD43 is better looking than the Sub41, but I could not wear it anymore. Too bad.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:12 PM   #23
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Hey all, new member, looking for help making a decision. I'm torn b/w a 124060 and 126600 as my first Rolex.

I've convinced myself that I'm not looking for a daily, and I think I'm in the small minority that actually want to use it to dive!

- I like the sub no date because it's beautiful in its simplicity and the fact that it's cheaper only enables other new watches sooner
- I like the SD because it feels better on my wrist, I have more coverage if I ever dive mixture and the RED lettering

I'm working on building a history with the AD near me (just bought a Tudor for our oldest as a graduation present, and a used Glashutte for me), with the plans to build up buying history and hopefully getting one of them at retail. If I know myself it will be the first of many, and I think that history will pay off in the long run.

Again, I'm new to the hobby, so thanks for all of the info I've already read on this forum. I would really appreciate any corrections to the thought process / assumptions I laid out above.
If the 126600 feels better on your wrist, there's your answer.

Subs are great. Sea Dwellers are special.

If its your first, it should be much easier/quicker to get from your AD than the more in demand Sub too.

I wore my 126600 as a daily for over 4 years. Its the best diver in the catalogue IMO. The matt dial, red text and fully graduated bezel work so well in all environments

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:15 PM   #24
cleansocks
"TRF" Member

Main factors:
- some say SD not comfortable protruding caseback
- matt black vs gloss dial
- red accent vs black and white only
- appearance of gentle curve (SD) vs completely flat. (sub)
- many more subs on wrists in public
- fully graduated bezel (SD) vs not

I like the SD except the matt dial kind of ruins it for me as I much prefer the deep inky black of the sub
cleansocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:19 PM   #25
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
I highly recommend the SD43.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:35 PM   #26
TBS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & Pelagos42
If you are looking for some uniqueness, go with the SD43. You said it fit better anyway
If you are looking for another great diver, try the Tudor Pelagos 42 Titanium
You won't be disappointed with either
TBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:35 PM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own both the SD43 and the Submariner-C ND 124060. I really like them both but would choose the Submariner today, tomorrow the SD43. They are both that good to me. The SD43 is more special with the size, dial and red text, to me. The Submariner is now my daily and the balance of the dial is beautiful. The SD43 is trading with our Trusted Sellers for retail plus not much for NIB and pre-owned they are approaching below retail. Don't get pulled into the AD game unless it serves you and gets you the watch you want, now. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:39 PM   #28
favx
2024 Pledge Member

I think you should go for the Deepsea.
favx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:41 PM   #29
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Wrist size and photos of both on your wrist would really help here.

In general, but not always:

Wrist >7" go SD

Wrist <7" go Sub

I think the SD is the more special watch, but it doesn't work for everyone. All depends on how it fits YOUR wrist.

This is mine on my 7.5" wrist as an FYI. I've had it for over 5 years now an adore it.

samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:42 PM   #30
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k - Sky D
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post

116600. SD4k. That'll be the only Rolex you will ever need.
See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsDJ-XzcOoc&t=623s

Ω Swatch X Omega Mission to Jupiter (SO33C100)
Linuxpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote