The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2024, 01:28 PM   #1
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quick Polishing Jubilee Clasp

Hello and I hope everyone has been well. I wear my BLRO daily. I just love this watch. It goes with so many of my outfits and on a Jubilee bracelet, it’s so damn comfortable.

I’m pretty much aware that over polishing a watch is not a good idea and even if I do a decent job polishing the clasp at home, wearing it as much as I do, more than likely, it’s just gonna look scratched up again after several weeks. This would mean I just keep doing the same thing until it’s over polished.

With that said, do any of you do a slight polish on the clasp to keep it looking a little bit more fresh than mine is right now, or just keep rocking it with it’s battle scars until it becomes unbearable that a polish is truly necessary? And if it does become necessary, how would you define that?

One last thing.. it’s not really the scratches that bother me it’s almost like an oxidation or like kind of a fogginess that’s appearing on the sides of the middle part that’s not brushed, but it’s shiny/polished.

I know this is all completely subjective, so I’m really just open to individual opinions as I think that’s what the point of a forum like this is… thanks in advance!

WatchEnthusiast7369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 01:48 PM   #2
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

The regular friction on clothing is refinishing the clasp in those areas and is resulting in the fog as you call it. The scratches are coming from your belt, desk, pants. Someone will chime in on how they sort out their clasp. How old is the clasp in the photo? To get scratches out you will need to remove the surrounding material down to the level of the bottom of the scratch to make it fully back to polished.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 02:01 PM   #3
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
The regular friction on clothing is refinishing the clasp in those areas and is resulting in the fog as you call it. The scratches are coming from your belt, desk, pants. Someone will chime in on how they sort out their clasp. How old is the clasp in the photo? To get scratches out you will need to remove the surrounding material down to the level of the bottom of the scratch to make it fully back to polished.
I bought it used in July 2023. It had a light polish before I purchased it.
Old 26 February 2024, 02:31 PM   #4
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
I know I'm going to catch hate for this one. When I got mine back from the last service, I put a piece of scotch tape on the clasp. no more scratches.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 02:34 PM   #5
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
I know I'm going to catch hate for this one. When I got mine back from the last service, I put a piece of scotch tape on the clasp. no more scratches.
Sure I probably wouldn't do that myself but not hate. I think everyone is entitled to what makes them feel happy or better when wearing the watch.
Old 26 February 2024, 02:38 PM   #6
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

I love this watch so much... The clasp is starting to bother me, but I keep telling myself that if you wear it and love it, it's just natural.

Old 26 February 2024, 03:41 PM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
You can tape off the brushed sides and use Cape Cod or Sunshine polishing cloths on the shiny center. It won’t bring back the factory mirror finish but it will improve the look somewhat. You are not removing anywhere near enough metal by hand to alter the shape of the clasp. The only thing I ever see overpolished on a clasp is the crown worn down by a machine. Avoid that and you’ll be fine.
My Jubilee BLRO is over five years old now and the case and bracelet still look almost new, the clasp definitely shows the most wear.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 06:39 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
All normal wearing scratches best left to normal routine RSC service only.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 09:05 PM   #9
Scottyboy
Banned

Watch: GP Laureato
It's your call OP. Refinish yourself but realise you will be doing this every few months if you do.

At some point, you will need to make peace with the daily wear on display here, you simply can't refinish the clasp every few months unless you plan on replacing the whole assembly during every routine service.

I was like this when I got my Submariner in 2020, but eventually embraced the daily wear marks which will be addressed when the watch goes to RSC for its first service.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 09:11 PM   #10
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Cape Cod cloth works wonders for your imperfections.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 10:20 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would just leave it alone and get use to it. Light scratches are part of it and after awhile they will blend in and be part of the clasp. If you choose to get on the hamster wheel and polish it as you see the scratches you will never get off that wheel. Save a polish for the service in a few years. Great watch and one of my favorites.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 05:10 PM   #12
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
You can tape off the brushed sides and use Cape Cod or Sunshine polishing cloths on the shiny center. It won’t bring back the factory mirror finish but it will improve the look somewhat. You are not removing anywhere near enough metal by hand to alter the shape of the clasp. The only thing I ever see overpolished on a clasp is the crown worn down by a machine. Avoid that and you’ll be fine.
My Jubilee BLRO is over five years old now and the case and bracelet still look almost new, the clasp definitely shows the most wear.

Good to know. But the cloths I’ll give it a shot. Yeah it makes sense with a daily wearer.
Old 27 February 2024, 05:10 PM   #13
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All normal wearing scratches best left to normal routine RSC service only.

Good advice. I’m feeling the same about it.
Old 27 February 2024, 05:10 PM   #14
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Cape Cod cloth works wonders for your imperfections.

Thanks I did purchase it :)
Old 27 February 2024, 05:12 PM   #15
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would just leave it alone and get use to it. Light scratches are part of it and after awhile they will blend in and be part of the clasp. If you choose to get on the hamster wheel and polish it as you see the scratches you will never get off that wheel. Save a polish for the service in a few years. Great watch and one of my favorites.

Yeah that’s what I was planning to do now at this point…

I’m wearing my Sky Dweller more and even that is starting to get scratched up on the clasp. I buy the watches to wear anyways so I’m happy :)
Old 28 February 2024, 04:06 AM   #16
tsekh
"TRF" Member

I'd just leave it. I polished the clasp of one of my watches which had scratches like yours. But after wearing it almost daily for a few weeks it accumulated enough new scratches and it looks like what it was like before I polished it. Scratches on the clasp are unavoidable unless you don't wear it.
tsekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 04:31 AM   #17
Dotikolos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alksion View Post
I love this watch so much... The clasp is starting to bother me, but I keep telling myself that if you wear it and love it, it's just natural.

Nice Mercedes
Dotikolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 04:31 AM   #18
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quick Polishing Jubilee Clasp

Hey man! Great looking watch.

I've gotten more used to the scratches on the polished areas. I actually think they look great after a while. One thing I have not been able to overcome is my dislike for "scuffs" which leave a shadow on the brushed sections.

For those, I picked up a sanding block for watches. A little tape and I keep my clasps and brushed areas clean. Here is what I'm talking about...

Old 28 February 2024, 05:16 AM   #19
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I know some people have strong opinions on sticker protection kits, but they work wonders on clasps to keep them looking new. And they are virtually invisible when applied correctly. My BLNR still looks flawless after 9 months of wear, thanks to the protection I applied on the clasp.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 05:42 AM   #20
Matty99365
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Ask your AD to put a sticker on it. Should last about a year.
Matty99365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 06:42 AM   #21
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseRat View Post
I know some people have strong opinions on sticker protection kits, but they work wonders on clasps to keep them looking new. And they are virtually invisible when applied correctly. My BLNR still looks flawless after 9 months of wear, thanks to the protection I applied on the clasp.
I've used both the Cape Cod and Sunshine with good results. After about two years of daily wear on my bluesy I decided to use a Cape Cod on all of my PCL's and on the polished area of the clasp. HUGE improvement. Removed all of the minor scratches, but not the deep ones.

I have since installed watch protection film on the polished area of the clasp (just the center strip, not the sides) on each new watch I have purchased. I install if right after purchase, before any scratches are on the clasp. That being said, you could polish the clasp and then install some film to protect it from any further damage.

As mentioned above, when properly installed, it is virtually invisible and can only really be seen from a short distance. And even then you can only notice the edges where the film stops. The film itself is invisible. See the photo below. No more scratches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5257.1.jpg (204.2 KB, 159 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 07:18 AM   #22
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I've created my own protection from 3M self-adhesive tape (like what they use on cars for protection) and it has worked well. I also use polyWatch on my polished areas when they get too scratched and it works good. The protection tape yellows after about a year and I make a new one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batman Clasp.jpg (162.2 KB, 140 views)
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 10:02 AM   #23
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

This is a great tutorial:

https://www.minus4plus6.com/maintenance.php
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 02:37 PM   #24
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekh View Post
I'd just leave it. I polished the clasp of one of my watches which had scratches like yours. But after wearing it almost daily for a few weeks it accumulated enough new scratches and it looks like what it was like before I polished it. Scratches on the clasp are unavoidable unless you don't wear it.

Well said. Just good to get the feedback from others. Going to wear it with pride and honor.
Old 28 February 2024, 02:38 PM   #25
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotikolos View Post
Nice Mercedes

Appreciate the kind words. Nice community here. Yeah GLE 53 Coupe. My pride and joy is my M8 though. Can’t get enough of that V8.
Old 28 February 2024, 02:40 PM   #26
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Hey man! Great looking watch.

I've gotten more used to the scratches on the polished areas. I actually think they look great after a while. One thing I have not been able to overcome is my dislike for "scuffs" which leave a shadow on the brushed sections.

For those, I picked up a sanding block for watches. A little tape and I keep my clasps and brushed areas clean. Here is what I'm talking about...

Yeah I’m going to try that just for the shadowing you’re referring to. Scratches I’ll just live :)
Old 28 February 2024, 02:42 PM   #27
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseRat View Post

Interesting. I just feel weird about covering anything on the watch, but wouldn’t hurt to try it. Could always quickly remove it. Might try that small cover on the Rose Gold clasp of my Daytona Oysterflex picking up at 1 PM tomorrow.
Old 28 February 2024, 02:43 PM   #28
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I've used both the Cape Cod and Sunshine with good results. After about two years of daily wear on my bluesy I decided to use a Cape Cod on all of my PCL's and on the polished area of the clasp. HUGE improvement. Removed all of the minor scratches, but not the deep ones.

I have since installed watch protection film on the polished area of the clasp (just the center strip, not the sides) on each new watch I have purchased. I install if right after purchase, before any scratches are on the clasp. That being said, you could polish the clasp and then install some film to protect it from any further damage.

As mentioned above, when properly installed, it is virtually invisible and can only really be seen from a short distance. And even then you can only notice the edges where the film stops. The film itself is invisible. See the photo below. No more scratches.

Thanks for the reply I’m picking up two new watches tomorrow. I think this is what I’ll do for those and see how it pans out and if I like it then maybe I’ll try to clean up the class a little bit and apply film. Easy to revert if I don’t like it.
Old 28 February 2024, 02:44 PM   #29
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
I've created my own protection from 3M self-adhesive tape (like what they use on cars for protection) and it has worked well. I also use polyWatch on my polished areas when they get too scratched and it works good. The protection tape yellows after about a year and I make a new one.

Does the film get choppy or bubbly?
Old 28 February 2024, 02:45 PM   #30
WatchEnthusiast7369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post

Wow that is a detailed tutorial. Thank you for sharing!