The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2024, 03:22 AM   #1
OTX
"TRF" Member

Shall I even ask?

Hello guys!. I bought a Bluesy late last year as well as a Sprite 2 months after from the same AD. I really would like a Daytona but to be honest I’m nervous asking my AD about getting one as he went out if his way to get me a Sprite. I just don’t want to come across as a flipper or asking for too much. Shall I wait a while before bringing it up?. I still own both watches by the way. Thanks

OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 03:26 AM   #2
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you don't ask you don't get.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 03:27 AM   #3
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

You have to try for it at some point.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 03:28 AM   #4
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Ask them to put it in your wish list but let them know that you understand it will take some time. If they come back and say it'll never happen then go grey. Otherwise what's the harm.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 03:31 AM   #5
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Wear your Sprite into the store, and ask to be put on the list. If you have a wife, bring her with you, and have her wear the other one, dangling from her wrist, as a bracelet, or, if you’re comfortable with it, size it to her wrist. Go in together, and ask to be put on the list. They may want you to buy your wife a watch more suited to her. If so, do that, too.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:00 AM   #6
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
In fact wear Sprite on the left, Bluesy on the Right .. then ask ..
Yes, 100% you should ask, and I hope you get one ….
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:02 AM   #7
TudorDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
I asked for a steel Daytona new reference in April last year. My AD said, not possible unfortunately. However, she did put my name for 3 other watches, all of which I was allocated within a space of 10 months.

No harm in asking - worst case scenario is that he/she would say no but you could always get something else allocated.
TudorDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:12 AM   #8
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Of course you should ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:21 AM   #9
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Definitely ASK! It may be a small chance if you ask, but there will be less of a chance if you don't. Also, visit frequently and wear in your watches so that they can see you're enjoying them and not a flipper. I have very little buying history with my AD compared to some you folks. However, I asked my AD quite awhile back for one (116 reference). Still nothing, but visit every so often and I am still expressing interest. Now in the 126 reference, which I am liking more than the older version.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:21 AM   #10
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Can't hurt to ask. Go for it.
Old 27 February 2024, 04:34 AM   #11
Matty99365
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Wear your Sprite into the store, and ask to be put on the list. If you have a wife, bring her with you, and have her wear the other one, dangling from her wrist, as a bracelet, or, if you’re comfortable with it, size it to her wrist. Go in together, and ask to be put on the list. They may want you to buy your wife a watch more suited to her. If so, do that, too.

Kat

This is terrible advice. You don’t have to stage anything with an AD. You might as well take a script in with you if you’re going to do this!!

Just be yourself and be honest. Something’s obviously worked for you in the past so keep doing what you’re doing.

Simply, just ask.
Matty99365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:35 AM   #12
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Of course ask.

How is it now acceptable to tremble /grovel at the feet of salespeople in hopes of them being merciful enough to allow you to spend 10k+ of your hard earned money at their store?

The customer and AD relationship is transactional like any other retail situation.
Endoscopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:43 AM   #13
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty99365 View Post
This is terrible advice. You don’t have to stage anything with an AD. You might as well take a script in with you if you’re going to do this!!

Just be yourself and be honest. Something’s obviously worked for you in the past so keep doing what you’re doing.

Simply, just ask.

No, it’s not. I wear men’s watches, as do many women. It automatically proves he’s not a flipper. What is terrible about that? Also, I was being facetious. Chill!

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:45 AM   #14
Matty99365
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
Of course ask.

How is it now acceptable to tremble /grovel at the feet of salespeople in hopes of them being merciful enough to allow you to spend 10k+ of your hard earned money at their store?

The customer and AD relationship is transactional like any other retail situation.
Totally agree.

Whilst I admit it’s difficult to get hold of certain models groveling is not the way to do it.

Being the proud owner of the white SS Daytona and having not grovelled to get it I can pretty confidently say that staging a pre rehearsed show in the boutique won’t get you one! 🙈
Old 27 February 2024, 04:47 AM   #15
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
In fact wear Sprite on the left, Bluesy on the Right .. then ask ..
Yes, 100% you should ask, and I hope you get one ….
Lol. The AD will think the OP is mental if he does that!

Other way round and he may get away with it!
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 04:49 AM   #16
Matty99365
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, it’s not. I wear men’s watches, as do many women. It automatically proves he’s not a flipper. What is terrible about that? Also, I was being facetious. Chill!

Kat

I wasnt referring to women wearing mens’ watches. My wife wears a 40mm OF Daytona but she doesn’t ‘make sure’ she wears it every time we go in the AD.

The point I am making is just be yourself. Don’t stage anything. Wear your Swatch if that makes you comfortable! I didn’t wear a Rolex when I went to get my first one and that’s cos I didn’t have one to wear.
Old 27 February 2024, 06:20 AM   #17
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffs View Post
Lol. The AD will think the OP is mental if he does that!

Other way round and he may get away with it!

Like what you did there ..
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 06:57 AM   #18
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Just ask. They exist to sell watches. It’s a watch they sell. You’ll never get one if you don’t ask
Old 27 February 2024, 06:57 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sounds like you are on a roll with this AD. I would ask for it and see what happens. As long as you wear the two watches you bought there regularly into the store, you're fine.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 08:10 AM   #20
bourgognebob
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

Best advice!
bourgognebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 08:16 AM   #21
OTX
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

Not a bad idea :-). I’ve been trying to get my wife into watches for so long but she simply doesn’t care at all. I even offered to buy her a Cartier watch last time and she refused. She said it would sit in the drawer as she doesn’t like wearing watches. I give up lol. I ended up sending an email to the owner who is super cool and will stop by a later time. Not holding up any hope but doesn’t hurt to ask :-)
Old 27 February 2024, 08:19 AM   #22
OTX
"TRF" Member

Appreciate all the responses. I went ahead and emailed the owner and let them know to keep me in mind if they ever get an extra one they don’t know what to do with :-). Nothing but superb experiences with this AD so you know never know!
Old 27 February 2024, 08:39 AM   #23
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Kat
I thought this was good advice. It's OP's normal MO, but wearing a hard-to-get watch which shows that he is enjoying his watches. IMO, a very normal thing to do. Just because I wear a Daytona in to an AD doesn't mean I am cow towing to the AD or doing something out of the norm. As it turns out, I wear it everywhere!
Old 27 February 2024, 08:41 AM   #24
Snipe10
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Simply, just ask.
I agree with Matty, horrible advice. I would never let an AD condition me into playing their game. In fact, I won't buy from AD's that would treat me like that. If I buy something else from one of my AD's, it's because I (or my wife) liked it and they treat me well. But I'd never play the game of having to buy something each time I want a watch, to get something. Are you (Kat) saying every time you want a new watch, you buy something you didn't plan on buying or don't really want or really need? I had an AD ask me once to bring in a picture of all my watches (had bought four or five Rolex's from them) along with a paper showing a current date to prove I still had them. Told them to, go...., well, you know, and never went back. Six months later they called me with a couple of things on my wish list, I passed. Not playing their bs games. Would rather wait or go grey. My other AD's would never pull that crap.
Snipe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 08:45 AM   #25
Snipe10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wasnt referring to women wearing mens’ watches. My wife wears a 40mm OF Daytona but she doesn’t ‘make sure’ she wears it every time we go in the AD.

The point I am making is just be yourself. Don’t stage anything. Wear your Swatch if that makes you comfortable! I didn’t wear a Rolex when I went to get my first one and that’s cos I didn’t have one to wear.
Agree here too
Old 27 February 2024, 08:47 AM   #26
magicwatch
"TRF" Member

Could also tell them you would upgrade the bluesy or sprite to there pre owned program if a Daytona came in for you. they may be happy to have some pre owned pieces. They win, you win, and the bluesy or sprite is likely faster to get another one opposed to waiting many years for the Daytona?
magicwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 08:53 AM   #27
Snipe10
"TRF" Member

Guess I'm just not wanting any watch that bad. I love my Rolex's, but also love my Vacheron Overseas, Omega, etc. too. They're just watches. When one of my AD"s call with something I requested, sometimes I say, "great", other times I pass. Things change as time passes. They always call me though as they know I buy from time to time. Now a Leica M10-R BP, that's another story, ha.
Old 27 February 2024, 09:04 AM   #28
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

You got a sprite, they like you. Ask
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 09:16 AM   #29
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Absolutely ask. No need to tipy toe around these people for god sakes. They are salesman in the end.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 09:29 AM   #30
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Absolutely ask. No need to tipy toe around these people for god sakes. They are salesman in the end.

I second this.

You don’t ask, you don’t get.

They’re not mind readers. At least you have a shot at getting one if you tell the salesperson what you want.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote