The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2024, 04:13 AM   #1
Mackonomics
"TRF" Member

LA Watch Works review

Not a fan of them really. Got a basic assembly on my first watch and bezel realignment done on the second watch. satisfied with the customer service, I guess but the actual service was trash. Both Rolexes.

This all happened 2 years ago and I just found out about this during a service recently and they informed me about some of these things recently

Edvi was cool but always got an uneducated vibe from him. He didn’t know where the serial number was on a six digit sub.

- bezel was aligned by force on my gmt. They refused to remove the insert, which, as someone who thrives on servicing Rolexes, you’d think they’d know how to..

-tube (which was brand new in the splinter) inside was stripped down to a point where the most recent watchmaker had to use a tool to remove it to replace completely.

- Crown gasket was missing.. how tf can you forget one of the most important parts in a submariner?

- the hands. Were placed so low into the movement that the hour hand got caught on the 6 o’clock hour marker and stopped the watch completely.

- they didn’t return the extra parts I dropped off with the watches. They kept them lol (I originally didn’t care. Thought of it as a donation) but in retrospect now, just another reason to be dissatisfied with their practice.

My last comment before this post was me saying LAWW was a good experience but after getting my watch serviced for the first time since LAWW, it changed my opinion on them completely. Seems like the only thing they were capable of was brushing and beadblasting.

1.5/10. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to go there.
Mackonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 04:37 AM   #2
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Interesting, I've only read positive reviews from LAWW. Personally never had any interest in using them, though.

While seemingly unpopular today, I'll only trust RSC to work on my watches.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 04:47 AM   #3
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review!
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 05:01 AM   #4
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackonomics View Post

Edvi was cool but always got an uneducated vibe from him. He didn’t know where the serial number was on a six digit sub.

I find that very hard to believe.

Just to clarify, you had a watch or two serviced from LA WW a couple years ago and initially you were happy with their service but now someone else has looked at these same watches and told you about issues on the previous service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 05:10 AM   #5
Mackonomics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Interesting, I've only read positive reviews from LAWW. Personally never had any interest in using them, though.

While seemingly unpopular today, I'll only trust RSC to work on my watches.
It’s hard for the majority of watch owners (especially Rolex owners) to cross reference or challenge a watchmaker as they are suppose to be SME’s that we rely on and trust. Some of them are no different than car mechanics. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept some of the splintered parts I dropped off, and instead put used junk parts. The watchmaker straight up said “there’s no way this tube was new unless LAWW severely stripped it”. Very disappointed.

I only used them because they were the only guys that would beadblast a Rolex.
Old 2 March 2024, 05:12 AM   #6
IgCarr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 16800 16220 14270
LAWW previously worked on my 16800 and did a great job. I have a vintage Turn-O-Graph with them right now. Sometimes things get lost in back and forth communications but in my experience, Edvi has always been knowledgeable, professional, and timely in all of our discussions.
IgCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 05:14 AM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
LA Watch Works review

I’ve only used them for laser welding and refinishing a vintage Tudor and in that regard, they did spectacular.

They get mixed reviews on here. Some people are happy with their work and some aren’t.

Edvi never gave me “uneducated vibes”. Did you get into some kind of miscommunication with him?
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 05:16 AM   #8
Mackonomics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I find that very hard to believe.

Just to clarify, you had a watch or two serviced from LA WW a couple years ago and initially you were happy with their service but now someone else has looked at these same watches and told you about issues on the previous service?

What exactly is hard to believe?

Am I going to take it to a forum the nitpicky findings a month later? The bezel alignment on my gmt and hour marker was caught soon after LAWW visit.

This is the entirety of my experience upon my first servicing since then.

What would be my motive in slandering someone randomly 2 years later?
Old 2 March 2024, 05:20 AM   #9
Mackonomics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I’ve only used them for laser welding and refinishing a vintage Tudor and in that regard, they did spectacular.

They get mixed reviews on here. Some people are happy with their work and some aren’t.

Edvi never gave me “uneducated vibes”. Did you get into some kind of miscommunication with him?
Finishing seems to be their bread and butter.. servicing, not really

He was never really a point of reference for knowledge. Always kept the front desk script. When I dropped my watch off, he took a lupe to it to read the serial number, but I corrected him that he wrote down the reference number and that the sn was on the rehaut lol. That’s all I really basing that claim off of but that’s a rookie mistake.
Old 2 March 2024, 05:22 AM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

LA Watch Works review

Quote:
What exactly is hard to believe?

Am I going to take it to a forum the nitpicky findings a month later? The bezel alignment on my gmt and hour marker was caught soon after LAWW visit.

This is the entirety of my experience upon my first servicing since then.

What would be my motive in slandering someone randomly 2 years later?

What is hard to believe? The man services Rolex for a living and it’s been over 15 years (or close to it) since the Crown started placing serial numbers on the rehaut so your claim is impossible to believe. No reasonable person would believe this.

Not saying you’re lying, it could have been a misunderstanding, but I don’t believe Edvi is unaware of where serial numbers are on 6 digits.

Old 2 March 2024, 05:30 AM   #11
Mackonomics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What is hard to believe? The man services Rolex for a living and it’s been over 15 years (or close to it) since the Crown started placing serial numbers on the rehaut so your claim is impossible to believe. No reasonable person would believe this.

Not saying you’re lying, it could have been a misunderstanding, but I don’t believe Edvi is unaware of where serial numbers are on 6 digits.

“Your claim is Impossible to believe” + “not saying you’re lying” ≠ “misunderstanding”
You’re implying I’m lying lol

When I say he drafted an invoice with the reference number before I corrected him that the sn is on the rehaut. I literally mean he drafted an invoice with the reference number before I corrected him that the sn is on the rehaut.

This isn’t even really about that. And not to deviate from the main point. That’s the least of my concerns. A goofy mistake is one thing. Stripping or reusing parts, forgetting parts, not returning parts, and not knowing how to insert or remove parts is another.. bigger thing..
Old 2 March 2024, 05:51 AM   #12
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
“Your claim is Impossible to believe” + “not saying you’re lying” ≠ “misunderstanding”
You’re implying I’m lying lol

A misunderstanding can be hard to believe.

I literally said I don’t think you’re lying.

Old 2 March 2024, 06:00 AM   #13
Mackonomics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A misunderstanding can be hard to believe.

I literally said I don’t think you’re lying.

Only think I could say to that is, him mistaking where the SN is, should be more believable than not knowing how to unscrew a tube or forgetting a gasket.
Old 2 March 2024, 07:39 AM   #14
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
This all happened 2 years ago and I just found out about this during a service recently and they informed me about some of these things recently
Can you please clarify the above statement?

So, LAWW serviced two of your watches two years ago and you're just posting now that you weren't satisfied? What is the reference to a "service recently?"

Regardless, I go way back with LAWW, to the ABC days. They've worked on many of my current and former watches. Not everything was always perfect, but if it wasn't, it was quickly rectified. In general, they do very good work, and Edvi is top-notch.

That's not to undermine another person's opinion if they had a poor experience, but that's been my experience for well over a decade.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 07:43 AM   #15
fumanku
"TRF" Member

Hi,

One of the owners of LAWW here. Since we have no idea who you are, "MACKONOMICS", figured I'd reply publicly point by point.

-Edvi has worked with us since we started, and including the stint at ABC years ago, he's had 15+ years working in the business. Calling him "uneducated" is pretty laughable, as we handed hundreds of watches a week.

- Not sure what you mean by "Aligned by force". There is always force exerted to press on a bezel assembly, they don't just click into place. Only reason I'd suspect not to remove the insert would be if it were ceramic, as there is always a chance of cracking the insert when you put it on or take it off.

-Tubes are put on and taken off with a tool. You cant just remove them. This is why the tube doesn't move when you screw and unscrew the crown. The stripping of the threads on the tube have more to do with what you did with the watch over the "2 years" since we serviced it.

-Crown gasket missing- Again, without knowing what watch it is you're talking about, this can be many things- deterioration of the gasket, or if it were a later model one, they use a white almost metal colored gasket that you don't really see unless you're working on it. If there were no gasket, you surely would have had water intrusion over the last 2 years of use.

- Hands placed "so low". You wore the watch for 2 years and only discovered that the hands got caught on the indexes after this much time?

MISC: We give back some parts, but things like tubes etc that are taken out (often broken), we throw them away. We do not re-use old parts harvested from customer watches. This does not happen.

To be quite frank, I challenge every point of your post here, and wonder why you never contacted us directly to address these points prior to making this post? We are not perfect, and there is plenty of valid criticisms that we need to address. That being said, unless something was very very wrong, its HIGHLY IMPROBABLE that all these problems arose from a single service.

If you'd like to have further discourse about this, you can contact us directly.
fumanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 08:05 AM   #16
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

I had a fantastic experience with LAWW

But not Rollieworks - they didn't re-attach bracelet correctly, left a springbar partially installed

I guess both are good for most people, but each of them can fail someone from time to time.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 08:08 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It seems to me this should have first been resolved with the business, or attempted to, before coming on here with a “review.”
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 10:58 AM   #18
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
My experience with Edvi, has been nothing but exceptional, 5 star, first class all the way. Over the past couple of years, I have sent them 3 different PCL bracelets that I wanted to be "brushed" instead. All bracelets came back in perfect condition, and brushed or blasted exactly as I desired them to be.

My experience with Rolliworks NOT the same as above.
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 11:07 AM   #19
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Gotta ask, why are you servicing after a couple years? I’m on the extreme side and service 10-15 years.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 11:12 AM   #20
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is the wrong forum for this type of review.
Old 2 March 2024, 12:02 PM   #21
MrLemon
"TRF" Member

LAWW offers the most expensive watch service in the whole country!
I had my SD lug fixed by them 2 years ago, they quoted about $350, on month later,
Edivi called and told me, they have new quote, $750 to just fix one lug.
Last month, my friend called them to get quote for vintage seamaster service
Edvi replied with quote of $1300!?
Oh baby! they double price for service at Omega
MrLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 01:09 PM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’ve personally used LAWW 5 times mostly casework and one service. Always happy with the results.