The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 March 2024, 04:30 PM   #1
OmegaAlpha
"TRF" Member

Ensure water resistance 5513

Hi all, if you have a newly acquired 5513 that is keeping time well but you do not know if it is water resistant, would you have it dry pressure tested to find out?

If the test shows that the watch is not water resistant, would you perform a full service just to get it to be water resistant? (I have been told that the process is not just changing gaskets and seals; a full service is required).

I live in a warm/humid climate and would like my watch to be at least water resistant to 3 bar, but hesitant about having to do a full service unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks!
OmegaAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 04:38 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Testing to 6 Bar is not difficult.

If one of my watches passes ar 6 Bar I would have no concerns about water ingress unless I was diving to more that 60 metres.

Whether to have it serviced is you decision.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 07:44 PM   #3
OmegaAlpha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Testing to 6 Bar is not difficult.

If one of my watches passes ar 6 Bar I would have no concerns about water ingress unless I was diving to more that 60 metres.

Whether to have it serviced is you decision.

I would be happy if watch passes 6 bar or even 3 :)

The bigger question is if the watch doesn’t, is there just a few essential work scope needed for it to pass 3 or 6 bar without going through a full service.
Old 10 March 2024, 11:37 PM   #4
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
If I bought a 5513 with no service history, I would put it on a timegrapher to see if it's within spec (tested at 6 positions). If it was within spec, I would probably assume it's not due for service and just leave it as is.

If it wasn't within spec, I would get a full service and that should give you piece of mind.

I never had the urge to pressure test a watch and I just don't ever plan to dunk old watches under water.

Would a humid climate really matter all that much as long as it doesn't go underwater? What if you had a patek or other watch without a screw down crown? If it's humid, does that mean you can't pull out the crown and set your watch?
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 11:51 PM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Sure, why not run a dry pressure test. It's obviously something that concerns you.
Old 11 March 2024, 03:06 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaAlpha View Post
I would be happy if watch passes 6 bar or even 3 :)

The bigger question is if the watch doesn’t, is there just a few essential work scope needed for it to pass 3 or 6 bar without going through a full service.
A watch does not need a full service to replace the seals.

You do need to take the movement out and crystal off to do the job, so it only makes sense to have the movement cleaned and oiled at the same time.

Have it tested, that's the first step. Keep in mind though, a seal could fail at any time, even if they are all new and fresh. This is why some of us don't swim or dive with true collector examples that would be impossible or very expensive to repair.
Old 11 March 2024, 08:22 AM   #7
OmegaAlpha
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the various perspectives! And also the explanation why I’ve told by watch servicing shops that they only do waterproofing with “complete” service.

Will definitely do the pressure test, as over here we move in and out a lot between hot/humid/regularly rainy climate and air conditioned indoor places.Knowing the watch has some water resistance would give a peace of mind for regular wear.

Trying to take the least invasive approach. If the watch passes test to at least 3 bars and time keeping is good, think I will leave it without doing more work to it.