The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 May 2024, 11:36 AM   #1
Armis
"TRF" Member

Variety vs. redundancy

Do any of you have, or would you consider wanting multiple ROs for the sake of variety, as in the sample below, or is this overkill?
Notably, I’m referring only to basic time/date pieces only, but excluding ‘special’ similar pieces like a blue-dialed 15202 and 16202 which are not in the picture.

I ask because whereas I used to enjoy and wear these for their variety, I now have started to wonder if they are unnecessarily redundant as I find myself reaching regularly for my ROOs or Codes instead. Despite any sentimentality I may feel for each piece as they reflect the relationship I’ve cultivated with the brand over the years, Sylvester Stallone’s recent upcoming sales video has interestingly prompted me to reflect on my collection and at what point do you start moving pieces along to others.

While these simpler pieces are relatively easier to consider this question for, the decision becomes infinitely harder for the special pieces.

Please let me know your thoughts on this topic of variety vs. redundancy.
Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 11:41 AM   #2
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

those 3 are too samey for me personally. i can understand having 2 steel ROs like a white 3 hander and a jumbo with a blue dial, although that might also get a bit boring at some point and i'd probably prefer having 1 of them being a chrono

having those 3 would definitely become too redundant for me pretty quick though but if they were in different metals it's a totally different story
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 11:55 AM   #3
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Too redundant, 15300 would be the one to keep for me
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 01:11 PM   #4
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Really depends on preference. I have a 15500 and am aiming for a 15510 next.
Old 13 May 2024, 01:22 PM   #5
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I personally like more variety and would consider moving two of them for perhaps a chronograph and dual time (or even calendar if you would do a 36mm RO). Keep the one three hander you like best. Or perhaps trade/sell two for a PM Royal Oak.

But I assume you had the choice to buy ROs with different complications and/or materials and chose what you have in your collection.
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 07:36 PM   #6
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

1 model with 1 color would be enough for me because that budget could be funding for more varieties except the owner got special love on specific models

Here is my case (ROO and CODE exluded)
16202 Blue
15510 Green
15500 Grey (feel redundant)
26240 Black
15407 Open
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 09:58 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would prefer different models.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 10:19 PM   #8
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

I'd personally not have 2x 15300s. A 15202/16202 would fit nicely as a replacement for one of these.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 11:06 PM   #9
APhound
"TRF" Member

Sell them all and get the perpetual calendar

APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 11:28 PM   #10
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
those 3 are too samey for me personally. i can understand having 2 steel ROs like a white 3 hander and a jumbo with a blue dial, although that might also get a bit boring at some point and i'd probably prefer having 1 of them being a chrono

having those 3 would definitely become too redundant for me pretty quick though but if they were in different metals it's a totally different story
I see what you’re saying and agree with your reasoning. To provide a little more background, the blue 15300 was the first of these, and which I still reach for as my go-to RO. Yes, if I include the 15202 and 16202 in this picture then even I would get sea sick from all the blue dials…but again, I’m not touching or including the Jumbos in this RO decision. As far as the white 15300, I got it a while back because I saw it as one of the cleanest and coolest white dials of any brand…and still arguably is. But it gets no wrist time since Covid. And the khaki I admit was a complete emotional buy because I liked the novelty of the color and cleanliness of the 41mm dial. However, we all know the color rarely shows since it looks like a grey dial most of the time. But the boutique was very kind and attentive, so I still want and need to keep this.
Alas, your last point about other metals is a key one. The thing is that I don’t wear gold, therefore my collection is limited to steel, platinum, titanium, etc.
I appreciate your input and perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsstructures View Post
Too redundant, 15300 would be the one to keep for me
The blue 15300 is my ‘ol faithful go-to piece. I’m starting to come around to the idea that at least the white should go. Thanks for your frank statement.
Old 13 May 2024, 11:45 PM   #11
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
White should definitely go. Visibly too polished. Blue 15300 is the obvious keeper if any of them. AP lost it's charm for me and I moved to a Patek and couldn't be happier
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 11:46 PM   #12
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Really depends on preference. I have a 15500 and am aiming for a 15510 next.
Ultimately, “it depends” is the absolute truth since there are so many factors that can influence what one gets/keeps or gives/sells off. Still, I’m intrigued by your interest in having two 41mm ROs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I personally like more variety and would consider moving two of them for perhaps a chronograph and dual time (or even calendar if you would do a 36mm RO). Keep the one three hander you like best. Or perhaps trade/sell two for a PM Royal Oak.

But I assume you had the choice to buy ROs with different complications and/or materials and chose what you have in your collection.
You’re correct about the PM options, the limitation is that I don’t wear gold. For chronos, I have two (which might also be redundant). My fingers are crossed for a dual time release at some point. But I like your suggestions which make me think letting a RO and ROC go if/when a dual time is released. Thank you for your recs.
Old 13 May 2024, 11:58 PM   #13
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Sell them all and get the perpetual calendar

Now that is a power move. Hadn’t considered that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
White should definitely go. Visibly too polished. Blue 15300 is the obvious keeper if any of them. AP lost it's charm for me and I moved to a Patek and couldn't be happier
The 15300s were new purchases from AD so it must be the angle or lighting perhaps making it look so in pic. But I agree that the blue should be the keeper, thanks.
Old 14 May 2024, 01:14 AM   #14
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

this is the tough part of collecting. Once you no longer reach for a piece it's probably time to move them to a new home. I'd keep the blue and move the other two for something new, maybe a full gold RO with black dial or ceramic :)
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 01:17 AM   #15
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Ultimately, “it depends” is the absolute truth since there are so many factors that can influence what one gets/keeps or gives/sells off. Still, I’m intrigued by your interest in having two 41mm ROs.
Yep. For me, I am partial to a large sweeping seconds hand, and don’t have much use for a chrono (aesthetically don’t mind it, but prefer a 3 hander). That said, I do like complications (perpetual, the new-vintage dial times w no seconds, etc) but the lack of use for a chrono plus the preference for a sweeping seconds drives this decision.

As for the 15500 vs 15510, they are aesthetically quite different and when you try them on, even more so (from the dial, to thinner links and widened chamfers etc.

But you have two 15300s (love that reference) so may be a different decision tree for you
Old 14 May 2024, 02:57 AM   #16
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
But I like your suggestions which make me think letting a RO and ROC go if/when a dual time is released. Thank you for your recs.
I've been looking at some of the 39mm RO Dual Times (26120ST). The one listed here is 39mm and the blue dial looks awesome.

Royal Oak Dual Time

There are 39mm Royal Oak Day Dates too (26330ST).

Royal Oak Day Date

You could also trade towards an openworked or even PC since I believe they both also come in steel. Some interesting options if you decide to change it up a bit.
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 03:06 AM   #17
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
this is the tough part of collecting. Once you no longer reach for a piece it's probably time to move them to a new home. I'd keep the blue and move the other two for something new, maybe a full gold RO with black dial or ceramic :)
I chuckle (and sigh) when I think back on my voracity in my younger years…and then how certain tastes and appetites change and simplify as one gets older. The idea of consolidating into perhaps the QP is making more and more sense. However, I will need to discuss with boutique manager because the khaki RO is too recent.
Old 14 May 2024, 04:50 AM   #18
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Way too redundant, this coming from a guy with 6 44mm ROO, but all in different materials, dial variations and strap colors.
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 04:58 AM   #19
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Way too redundant, this coming from a guy with 6 44mm ROO, but all in different materials, dial variations and strap colors.
LOL I'm similar with the offshores (4 at the moment and hunting for number 5). But as you (and I) rationalize, the Offshores are much easier to diversify with straps, dial colors, materials, bezels etc vs the RO
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 08:23 AM   #20
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

I think a jumbo and a 37/41 wouldn't be redundant, but having 3 time/date ss RO's exc a jumbo might get boring after a few years. I have 3 steel RO's and I dont think I want anymore, except for the 15407st. I'll probably only get a PM or ceramic RO going fwd, assuming I get allocated one (or a few) and assuming I have the money when I get the call ;)
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 11:11 AM   #21
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
My watches include a Donald Duck, an iWatch, a GrandSeiko quartz, AP Jumbo … to a Patek Grand Complication. So you know what I favor.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 11:22 AM   #22
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
LOL I'm similar with the offshores (4 at the moment and hunting for number 5). But as you (and I) rationalize, the Offshores are much easier to diversify with straps, dial colors, materials, bezels etc vs the RO
Don’t get me started on the ROOs!
But you’re both spot on, it is easier to justify multiple ROOs given their range of features. It is a slippery slope, however!
Old 14 May 2024, 11:25 AM   #23
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
My watches include a Donald Duck, an iWatch, a GrandSeiko quartz, AP Jumbo … to a Patek Grand Complication. So you know what I favor.
Now that is true variety!
Old 14 May 2024, 12:34 PM   #24
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
I think a jumbo and a 37/41 wouldn't be redundant, but having 3 time/date ss RO's exc a jumbo might get boring after a few years. I have 3 steel RO's and I dont think I want anymore, except for the 15407st. I'll probably only get a PM or ceramic RO going fwd, assuming I get allocated one (or a few) and assuming I have the money when I get the call ;)
Sound reasoning, I agree. I appreciate your and everyone’s perspective on this. It helped me work through my own circular thinking and biases on this matter. I’ve taken the step to sell the white 15300 and will be down one RO.*sniffles*
Thanks all
Old 14 May 2024, 07:13 PM   #25
shafran
"TRF" Member

I have 2 offshores and a roc, all 3 chronos.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 09:38 PM   #26
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

⬆️⬆️⬆️ agreed. would be my exact thoughts as well.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 03:34 AM   #27
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Is there a reason you don’t wear gold? (I know some people from certain religious backgrounds cannot wear gold which I totally respect) If this does not pertain to you I would try on a 15202BC and work that in your collection as it is my favorite piece I own.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote