The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 21 September 2009, 03:41 PM   #1
PONY

A question to all DSSD owners

I just purchased the Deep Sea at a AD store in L.A.

When the salesman opened that huge green box, it was the first time I saw a DSSD in person. He removed the watch from its holder and held it in his hand for me to see. That's all I needed and said, " I'll take it ". He asked me to put it on to check its fit for my wrist. That's when I noticed there were no protective plastic covers on the watch. All of my other watches I purchased from other authorized Rolex dealers did.

I asked him why the DSSD had no seals protecting the sides of the case and the bracelet. He said, "That's the way they come now, it cheapens the look".
That seemed believable, so I didn't pursue any further questions. I purchased the watch and left.

When I got home, admiring its look and feel, I noticed small scratches on both sides of the case. Since the salesman said they didn't come with the plastic covers, I attributed it to the sides the holder was housed in, when removing and replacing the watch from the case.

I'm not 100% convinced that Rolex sends their watches from the factory without some type of protection.

I would appreciate it , if any of you could share your purchase of the Deep Sea & how it was packaged in the box. Thanks in advance to those who respond.
PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Browining
"TRF" Member

My DSSD came with a TON of stickers attached. Was the one circular one on the back attached?

Browning
Browining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2009, 04:44 PM   #3
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Another salesmen talking out of his 'you know what'! What a joke.

The DSSD comes w/ more stickers than any other Rolex model I've ever purchased. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that after a week of wearing mine I still found a few very small pieces inside the glidelock clasp. Your watch obviously was handled prior to your purchase...if the salesman tries to deny it I can send you a picture of the million pieces that are still sitting in my box.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2009, 04:47 PM   #4
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Heck...check out this post from David selling a DS on TRF...you can see most of the stickers clear as day in his pictures (not to mention his killer price...wish I could have purchased my DS for that price )

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...hlight=deepsea
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2009, 05:03 PM   #5
pbr.dk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 42mm
I agree with the other posters in this thread - my DSSD came with tons of plastic protective stickers !!

Your watch has obviously been handled before unless mayby the dealer just had removed the plastic in order to use the watch for display.

But never the less - IMHO you should have had a discount because of this because without the protective stickers the watch in principle at least cannot be claimed to be new and never used !!

"When a guy takes off his coat, he's not going to fight. When a guy takes off his wristwatch, watch out!" - Basketball legend Al McGuire
pbr.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 12:40 AM   #6
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
FWIW I just checked out a DeepSea from a gray dealer last weekend, and it had all the saran wrap you could find on it.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 01:08 AM   #7
mrh1797
Banned

Watch: Love em' all!!
My DSSD was covered in plastic as well. Just when i thought I had found them all...had to peel off another piece!! Who in the hell places all those pieces anyway??

Anyhoo, if I was you I would be back in there demanding an explanation???
mrh1797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 11:42 AM   #8
MarJnK

Watch: Deepsea
My V series also had a couple dozen pieces of protective plastics. And mine came from a duty free in South Korea.

FWIW, I looked at one at an AD her ein Canada and it had all plastics in place also.

Mark
MarJnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
lee2375
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit Hoarder
Yup, same here...a ton of plastic.
lee2375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 01:36 PM   #10
senorpdog
"TRF" Member

Yep mine came with more stickers then most of my watches.
senorpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 01:41 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Grrrrrrrr .....I really hate it when the salesperson tries to feed the poor customer a ton of BS and gets away with it just 'cause the unfortunate customer happens to be so gullible.

Of course, any new Rolex will come embedded with a ton of stickers. This DSSD is obviously one that some other customer bought and then decided to return it back to the AD maybe 'cause he changed his mind or whatever.

Legally, this has now become a 2nd hand, used watch - no longer brand new!!

Sheeeesh, how these bastids piss me off!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 02:32 PM   #12
shawnfb

Watch: DEEP SEA V
same here... fully protected case, back, clasp :( i'd be a little PO'd ..)
shawnfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 02:33 PM   #13
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
the dirty devices of the world - welcome to planet earth:)
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 03:21 AM   #14
CompactRod
"TRF" Member

Rolex watches come with tons of plastic seals. Some are fused to the watch and you may not notice them. I have my TT GMTc for almost 2 yrs and still discover plastic seals on the bracelet Kill the thrill of buying a brand new watch
CompactRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 06:18 AM   #15
turboBB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ama call it?
As others have cited, it comes with protective wrapping. I've handled a few of them and they ALL had it on (including the bezel protector). Do a search under my posts in the Rolex Gallery where I've taken tons of pics of the DS and you'll see where each protector should be.

Bad salesman! Bad!...

Tim
turboBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 04:23 PM   #16
fujisan
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDDS
My DSSD was purchased recently NEW. I had plastic film all over it. When i thought i hd taken all the film off of it, then i found another and another and another piece of plastic cover. That SALESMAN is talking rubbish. Maybe it was a display model or somebody bought it as a spur of the moment impulsive decision and then changed their mind and took it back. I don't know but it the Plastic film covering the various parts of the watch are missing then it is a good chance it has been worn for more that just 2 minutes.
fujisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 02:20 AM   #17
cwwhk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Daytona
Mine came with lots of plastic protecting films. I sat there waiting for the sales lady to peel them all off. And she made the comment this watch has more of them than any other watch.
cwwhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 02:26 AM   #18
wulu
"TRF" Member

My had tons of plastic protecting film. I wore it for a month thinking I ripped all the film off and still found the film all over
JLC Master Compressor Diver Chrono
wulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 02:30 AM   #19
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
hmmmn . ..bloody dishonest BS - sorry to hear

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2009, 08:03 PM   #20
sniper007
"TRF" Member

a really dirty salesperson...
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2009, 10:06 PM   #21
Spaniard

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Even my Explorer comes with stickers too. I think the salesman did used the watch before hand. Even without removing the watch from the case. I don't think there will be any tiny scratches. Obviously, the watch was removed from the case.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 12:06 AM   #22
mokco
"TRF" Member

I have seen the plastic from some watches, removed, to better showcase the item - hence the scratches from customers trying it on. However, individuals like my AD (in KL) indicates that it is tougher to sell one without the plastic - especially if it is a low allocation watch and their clients are picky.

One thing my AD does very well is that she registers the watch and complete all the warranty paper work before the customer leaves the shop. Is there a chance the watch was registered or WC filled out for a prior customer?
mokco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 07:41 AM   #23
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Yea, rolex makes all watch (mainly the deepsea) with plastic covers around the bezile (spelling) And around the sides.
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 08:18 AM   #24
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
I had a tone of stickers and plastick on it.
CX 20000 Swiss Military,Longine Grande
Nick1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2009, 09:20 AM   #25
PONY

Rolex Answer is....................

They refuse to accept the watch in Switzerland.

Per their policy, it must be taken to an AD for inspection/repair. I should return to the store of purchase to resolve the problem, so I did.

I explained my concerns to the owner of the store. He said that the salesman who sold me the watch was no longer employed by them. However, he would send it to an authorized repair dealer in the area. The watch repairman would determine if it needed further repairs to be sent to Dallas. He would not exchange my DSSD for another that he had in stock.

This offer, even though well intentioned, would not resolve my issue as to its condition prior to sale. I decided to keep the DSSD and go home.

My wife suggested that I write a letter to Rolex in Switzerland. I should ask them to send me the plastic covers they use at the factory......... NAW!
PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2009, 12:36 PM   #26
JohnEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red1680 metres 1st
Sorry to hear of this...

It is a great timepiece and you will end up scratching up when you wear it... But it's like buying a demo and being told yeah it's a brand new car.

I have to agree with all the other posters here. I have never seen as much protective stickers as on the DSSD, and yes I was still finding them a month or so later
Old 3 November 2009, 01:52 PM   #27
Rob1963

Hi, I purchased a Deepsea in Sydney 2 weeks ago and 'YES' it did have protective plastic pieces all over it. In fact when you think you've removed them all, you continue to find another section where you previously missed.
Rob1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 04:22 PM   #28
acadianl79

Watch: Rolex Deep sea
mine also came with a lot of plastic pieces to protect the finish.
acadianl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 04:55 AM   #29
Daytonamania
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/DSSD/LV
Am waiting to pick up my DSSD , prob this week but when i went in the store to look at one it had no plastics on it , and now it is put aside for me, should i demand another to replace it ?
Worried now that someone else has touched it or even worse put it on their wrist.
Any advice ?
Daytonamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 05:59 AM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonamania View Post
Am waiting to pick up my DSSD , prob this week but when i went in the store to look at one it had no plastics on it , and now it is put aside for me, should i demand another to replace it ?
Worried now that someone else has touched it or even worse put it on their wrist.
Any advice ?
Absolutely!! DEMAND another one at the very top of your voice. You are paying for a BRAND NEW Rolex.

No stickers, means it's no longer brand new - end of story!!

Sheesh, how come this BS never happens in this part of the world??? Each and every Rolex at any of our 2 ADs here in Auckland, will have ALL their original stickers on.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote