The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 September 2009, 04:16 AM   #1
solecollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Newbie - Kind of a Unique Newbie - From a Big Forum

Hello All -

This is my first post on this forum and damn - I feel like a major n00b! It is such a weird feeling coming from a forum that I started that has 160,000 members - hammering newbies myself - and now I am that newbie! What I love about the Rolex Forums is that everyone here has the same love for watches just like my site - which is dedicated to sneakers - and everyone there has a huge love for high end sneakers (some going for as much as $25,000).

Over the past few weeks I have become very interested in buying a new watch. The main force behind it is my girlfriend who wants to get me something nice. She has a number of Rolex watches and she turned me onto this whole new world. So the first thing I did was type in Rolex Forum as I personally know if want to cut past the BS you go straight to a passionate community - and this forum was on top of the search list in Google.

I've have been to the Rolex.com site a few times and I just went down through the list of watches there and found three that I really like - Daytona / GMT / Deep Sea. I went to a few Rolex dealers to see how they fit because as everyone here knows.... what it looks like in a hot photo sure isn't what it looks like on one's wrist.

Anyway - I have really enjoyed this community to date. I've read many posts (I really enjoyed this post by LocoNBroko: /showthread.php?t=85966 ). I can't wait to ask some dumb questions - and get some great answers - !

The one problem I already see.... I'm going to end up wanting something that is more expensive than I planned... and I'll justify the hell out of it. In the sneaker world having something unique is a big deal - and having something unique with a story behind it is an amazing deal._steve
solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 04:55 AM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome to TRF, Steve. Glad you came out of the woodwork to join in.
Don't worry. Get a few posts under your belt and you'll feel just like a regular here.

As for the watches, of the three you're focused on, I would say the GMT has the greatest history behind it. If you do any travelling, it will certainly be the most useful. How much would you use the chrono feature of the Daytona? And are you really going to dive to 12,000 ft.? (I don't think so.) But bottom line is, you've got to go with the one that smiles at you most. It will be apparent when you strap it on your wrist.

Good luck with your choice. And stick around and enjoy the fun here.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 05:10 AM   #3
solecollector
"TRF" Member

^ Thanks for the reply.

I guess it is safe to say that I won't be using any of the watches for their intended purpose. Being from Key Largo waterproof is a big deal but that is about it. My choices where more from the "looks" side as well as the history behind them and of course the LOW - look on wrist.
Old 28 September 2009, 05:15 AM   #4
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Can you post some pics of these $25,000 sneakers. I didn't know that there were high end sneakers that were so expensive. Do they have precious metals and gem stones in them? I remember Turtle from Entourage was into high end sneakers but I didn't realize they were that expensive.
Btw welcome to TRF.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 05:16 AM   #5
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
GMT Master is a great start! Good looks, it's very handy and it's a solid choice.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 05:17 AM   #6
theloxmyth
Banned

Icon10 Welcome. You've been absent far too long : )

$25,000...for a pair of sneakers?!

WOWZERS!

Sell you mine for $100.

Anywho, welcome to TRF.

You came to the right place!

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 05:18 AM   #7
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Welcome to TRF, Steve. Glad you came out of the woodwork to join in.
Don't worry. Get a few posts under your belt and you'll feel just like a regular here.

As for the watches, of the three you're focused on, I would say the GMT has the greatest history behind it. If you do any travelling, it will certainly be the most useful. How much would you use the chrono feature of the Daytona? And are you really going to dive to 12,000 ft.? (I don't think so.) But bottom line is, you've got to go with the one that smiles at you most. It will be apparent when you strap it on your wrist.

Good luck with your choice. And stick around and enjoy the fun here.
I use the chrono feature to time how long it takes for you to badger me with banning after one of my enlightening post and comments.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Welcome to the finest watch and people forum on the 'net Everyone starts out as a newbie. In life, in the first job, in driving your first car. Among the well known, exclusive perhaps, brands, Rolex to me is a bit special. Not because they make the be all and and all watch in the world but because of the stance they take. Independent and stubborn. At the beginning of many a watch innovation but seemingly moving along at a glacier pace.
Old 28 September 2009, 05:20 AM   #9
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
I use the chrono feature to time how long it takes for you to badger me with banning after one of my enlightening post and comments.
I see you're still here, you hill-billy
Old 28 September 2009, 05:23 AM   #10
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
I see you're still here, you hill-billy
Oh I see, a Moderator sandwich. Two against .5.
Old 28 September 2009, 05:24 AM   #11
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Welcome to the finest watch and people forum on the 'net Everyone starts out as a newbie. In life, in the first job, in driving your first car. Among the well known, exclusive perhaps, brands, Rolex to me is a bit special. Not because they make the be all and and all watch in the world but because of the stance they take. Independent and stubborn. At the beginning of many a watch innovation but seemingly moving along at a glacier pace.
Since my mother is also my sister, I got a head start in a few areas.
Old 28 September 2009, 05:28 AM   #12
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Disclaimer: The longer you stay here the more watches you'd end up buying
Old 28 September 2009, 05:32 AM   #13
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Since my mother is also my sister, I got a head start in a few areas.
You have a special talent: to shoot down any promising and even hinting at intelligence post with one sentence You bloody oaf
Old 28 September 2009, 05:36 AM   #14
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You have a special talent: to shoot down any promising and even hinting at intelligence post with one sentence You bloody oaf
And to think I still can't figure out why I have been married four times. The current wife must be a mannequin 'cause she will not leave me.
Old 28 September 2009, 05:37 AM   #15
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to the Forum steve..

You can't go wrong with any of those........

And waterproofness isn't a worry.......... any Rolex from the Oyster collection is waterproof to 100 meters..........

Here's how I see it...

. Deep Sea is a huge watch and for the "big watch" fans.. If it gets tiresome in a couple of years, you have a 9,000 dollar anchor on your wrist..

. The new GMT is from the latest crop of updates... bigger case proportions, ceramic bezel insert and a shiny bracelet..... another big wearing watch, but not so big it will fall from favor soon... The least expensive of your choices..

. The Daytona....... a rare breed and one of the most sought after "sport" watches in the world.. Clean classic lines that remind one of Rolex watches long gone, but with a modern bracelet and clasp.. killer movement.. The most expensive of your choices.......also the least in-your-face of the bunch..

Tough choice to make................
Old 28 September 2009, 05:37 AM   #16
Rockrolex

Quote:
I agree with Frans about TRF having the finest people on the 'net; with one exception, and he's already posted here several times trying his best to derail this otherwise cogent thread. I think we all know who blabbermouth1957 is and I've got my sights on him now.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 28 September 2009, 05:39 AM   #17
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with Frans about TRF having the finest people on the 'net; with one exception, and he's already posted here several times trying his best to derail this otherwise cogent thread. I think we all know who blabbermouth1957 is and I've got my sights on him now.

See, I KNEW you loved me! Ban? Ain't that some type of deodorant with the first brand being called Mum?
Old 28 September 2009, 05:42 AM   #18
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Now that you have moved the thread to the Rolex General Discussion Forum, I will have to place nice. Foiled once again.
Old 28 September 2009, 05:44 AM   #19
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

And to answer the question: although it is all a matter of taste, I would start (he, he, he, yes, start) with an Explorer on a carbon strap. It has all the traits of a good watch. Mechanical (obvious), strong brand, waterproof (obvious), chronometer, very easily readable dial and almost bomb-proof. If you don't need chronograph functions, don't plan to make deep-sea dives and don't travel between time-zones a lot this could be your choice. And one of the Rolex's with a true story behind it. It is a simple watch but even the infamous Walt Odets was amazed at its accuracy and ruggedness.
Old 28 September 2009, 05:46 AM   #20
Rockrolex

Quote:
See, I KNEW you loved me! Ban? Ain't that some type of deodorant with the first brand being called Mum?
Ban is what they tack on the door of the church to announce your upcoming marriage. You've done that enough times; do you just photocopy the old ones and pencil in the new name?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 28 September 2009, 05:51 AM   #21
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ban is what they tack on the door of the church to announce your upcoming marriage. You've done that enough times; do you just photocopy the old ones and pencil in the new name?

Yep, easier than having to use spell check, which I obviously don't do as much as I should.

After a couple I just call them plaintiff 2, or 3 or 4 or 5.
Old 28 September 2009, 07:08 AM   #22
solecollector
"TRF" Member

I'll post up some photos of amazingly expensive sneakers soon. And just for a point of reference - I would say more than half of the sneaker forum has at least one pair of shoes worth over $500. Many people wear shoes that cost between $1,000 to $4,000 (and they don't last as long as a Rolex either). Very few people have shoes worth over $10,000 and actually wear them - even they whey would like to.

Here is a picture of a pair of shoes worth $2,000 or so:

Here is my OG post on the sneaker forum - I think you guys will get a kick out of it.

http://www.solecollector.com/forums/...979583-75.html
Old 28 September 2009, 11:04 AM   #23
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Welcome to TRF to the OP!

As you can see where this thread has gone, we are one big happy dysfunctional family!

Seriously, I would sell your $25,000 pair of sneakers and not have a dilemma of which to get. If you can only get one, I would choose the GMT. Have to warn you, visiting this site often leads to lots of watches and an empty bank account.
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 11:20 AM   #24
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
I would start with the DEEPSEA, but it doesn't really matter as you will be buying the others before long.

There is something in the water here on TRF, I swear that's what it is.
The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 11:30 AM   #25
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Hi. They are all so right. Since I joined (very recently) I have picked up way too many rolex's for my bank account but nowhere near enough for me! This is a place for great advice and solid opinions. I would go for the GMT2c SS as my 1st watch. You will get the others in time but the Gmt is the place to start. Fantastic looks and great functionality with the latest rolex has to offer.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 11:56 AM   #26
mike
"TRF" Member

Hey Steve. Let me also extend the warmest of welcomes.

Any of the three you mention will fill the bill for what you're looking for while each brings their own unique history to the table.

As far as expense goes none are cheap, but as with most things you get what you pay for. Rolex is one of those brands that maintain their value well.

While I'm a big GMT fan if you can score a Daytona I'd go that route. While not necessarily a rare watch the reference carries a certain mistique that few references can rival.

Good show on "kicking the tires" on all three. In the end it's what strikes you that is important.

Good luck.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 12:13 PM   #27
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Big welcome....you are in the right place for sure....before long you will know so much "triva" (as non Rolex folk will no doubt see it) about these watches than you will believe.....you will know which movements belong in which model, the history of a lot of them......their reference numbers......so much....just by reading the informative, funny and most of all friendly posts here.....all three of the watches you mention are classics.....you will not go far wrong with any one of the three....however, after a few months or even years, if you decide that maybe you should have picked one of the others, the one you have will sell in a flash and you will have a very good "lump" towards the one you fancy next....but....and it's a big but.....you will probably end up with a lot more than one.....once again....welcome and when you get your first one post some pictures, as you will have gathered, we love pictures here
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 12:17 PM   #28
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
welcome to the best rolex forum you will recieve a wealth of info here.

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 12:18 PM   #29
azone5
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF! Great place with lots of knowledge here. I'm a newbie here but have owned a Rolex for 20 years. I appreciate it much more after finding this site and learning some history.

The GMTs just call my name out. You'll find which model is for you too. Good luck shopping and let us see pics of what you get.
azone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 12:22 PM   #30
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Welcome to TRF Steve. Have fun shopping and learn as much as you can. It make the whole experience better. Keep us posted on what you find. Good luck.