The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2023, 09:34 AM   #121
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Black is white and white is black… white gold was created in attempt to imitate platinum, a much more expensive material… in horological circles, it is there to emulate SS despite being much more expensive alloy… in a process, it has lost its identity… then u have 5 pages of opinions where people suggest hue is different or weight is special..just brainwashed people, that is all… but that is what this watch hobby is all about, isn’t it?

Lol if you think there is not a difference in hue between WG and SS.

If so, you’re just exposing yourself as someone in need of an optometrist or has never spent much time with WG.

If WG is not for you, that’s fine, but you are very wrong on a few things here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2023, 10:03 AM   #122
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
In reading the last 5 pages I find it interesting in the justification of building a "Tool watch" out of gold. The word tough or tool should never be attached to gold IMO. I have worn many brands made of different materials including gold and have NEVER found a heavier watch being more comfortable than a well built lighter one. If ones looking for a "tool" watch that's really comfortable I have one word for you. TITANIUM!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2023, 12:53 PM   #123
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
In reading the last 5 pages I find it interesting in the justification of building a "Tool watch" out of gold. The word tough or tool should never be attached to gold IMO. I have worn many brands made of different materials including gold and have NEVER found a heavier watch being more comfortable than a well built lighter one. If ones looking for a "tool" watch that's really comfortable I have one word for you. TITANIUM!

One could say all Rolex’s are no longer tool watches and the word “tool” shouldn’t be associated with it neither . Reality is, whether steel or pm, these watches are luxury items and 90% out there probably don’t use them solely as tool nor even for their intended complications other than tell time like any other watch. Sure, you could play with the chronograph, gtm, dive with it, but there are lot better tools out there, electronic, if actually need to do so professionally. If doing a hazardous activity, wear a disposable Timex. Rubber is better than titanium for that . Yet, I still love my watches, especially the pm ones. I recently got a ss 5513 that I can’t take off my wrist. But just because it’s ss I don’t see it as a tool watch neither. Titanium won’t help me think it’s a tool watch neither.

DTNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2023, 03:06 PM   #124
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
Agree with much of above - I wear WG in rotation and like it better than SS. I don’t notice much difference in west save PCL as mentioned. I’d add that the PCL on my SS GMT show similar wear to WG. If the choice was one or the other I’d take the WG.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2023, 03:44 PM   #125
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Rolex stopped being a tool watch long ago, it’s now more an expensive jeweley and a status symbol. There are much better tools for the job that a Rolex does. In both telling time of any of it’s complications. But it’s perfect for decorating and expressing yourself and even showing off how successfull one have become. Hence the gold. And a few of us also love the mechanical engineering of it.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2023, 08:36 PM   #126
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
white gold was created in attempt to imitate platinum, a much more expensive material…
In contrary, I think you still belive in something, which is not true at all For example, why do you think that anybody wants to imitate a far cheaper metal nowadays with gold? For your reference, today platinum costs half as much as gold. Morover, in a long term you can see that it was mostly an industrial need(!) for the latter metal which will dropped dramatically after the emission catalisators will not be needed for electric cars:

Quote:
just brainwashed people, that is all… but that is what this watch hobby is all about, isn’t it?
No. In person I don't think this hobby is about insulting other people's taste and feelings about their precious.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2023, 02:52 AM   #127
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
In contrary, I think you still belive in something, which is not true at all For example, why do you think that anybody wants to imitate a far cheaper metal nowadays with gold? For your reference, today platinum costs half as much as gold. Morover, in a long term you can see that it was mostly an industrial need(!) for the latter metal which will dropped dramatically after the emission catalisators will not be needed for electric cars:

White gold was designed to imitate much more expensive material circa 1910s. Please refer to your chart if u need confirmation as to the valuation of platinum vs gold. Now it imitates both much cheaper alternatives: SS and White Gold. Therefore, it lost its identify. What is so controversial about that. As to the why people choose white gold, I suggested influence of marketing (brainwashed). They are synonyms if you think deeply about it. As to why some who are not influenced by marketing would choose white gold vs yellow/red is that they are afraid to stand out by wearing yellow/red gold which is a psychological phenomenon. What is so controversial about that? Again, you can have different reasons and i accept that. However, in general, this theory probably stands. If you want to disprove it, please use arguments that counter it, not augment it.

No. In person I don't think this hobby is about insulting other people's taste and feelings about their precious.
disagreeing does not equal insulting. You are not the choices you make. Hopefully, that is clear to you.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2023, 02:56 AM   #128
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

apologies for double response, this address the first potion of your retort...

White gold was designed to imitate much more expensive material circa 1910s. Please refer to your chart if u need confirmation as to the valuation of platinum vs gold. Now it imitates both much cheaper alternatives: SS and White Gold. Therefore, it lost its identify. What is so controversial about that. As to the why people choose white gold, I suggested influence of marketing (brainwashed). They are synonyms if you think deeply about it. As to why some who are not influenced by marketing would choose white gold vs yellow/red is that they are afraid to stand out by wearing yellow/red gold which is a psychological phenomenon. What is so controversial about that? Again, you can have different reasons and i accept that. However, in general, this theory probably stands. If you want to disprove it, please use arguments that counter it, not augment it.
Old 18 September 2023, 03:17 AM   #129
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Lol if you think there is not a difference in hue between WG and SS.

If so, you’re just exposing yourself as someone in need of an optometrist or has never spent much time with WG.

If WG is not for you, that’s fine, but you are very wrong on a few things here.

Hue difference is not inherent to the metal, rather to composition of alloy used. So you absolutely can not tell the difference between white gold and SS in most cases. What you are referring to is specific alloy used by Rolex which it seems you favor (it contains platinum) Therefore, in all your wisdom, you are extoling a specific alloy and not white gold in general. So trip to optometrist would not help.
Old 18 September 2023, 03:37 AM   #130
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
apologies for double response, this address the first potion of your retort...
No problem with this

But have with this: "just brainwashed people, that is all" Do you really think, that it's not insulting? Maybe my poor english is the reason, but I feel this as an offensive sentence and not a disagreement.

Quote:
Please refer to your chart if u need confirmation as to the valuation of platinum vs gold.
I think, you still don't want to see the chart's point: In a simplified way, till Breton Woods the USD was equal to gold. This meant, gold had an artifical value, which was not equal compared to the metal's real value. As you can also see, the platina was never so much more expensive, that this in itself would have been led to a need to imitate the platinum. Morover, in the age of 1910-1920, mostly during WW1 I don't think there was a huge need for such an imitation.

For this reason I don't think that the major reason was to imitate platinum, but to create a different look for the gold. That led to that today, there are several color options like rose, red and so on golds. So in my opinion the idea to create something different was simply came from a need to invent something new.

Morover, as you can see, there was never a so huge gap between these PM-s, which in itself could create a huge demand for such a gold form. And let me point out, these metals are used for only to create luxury goods for the World's top 0.1% populaton. Do you really think, that in this population, there is a real need for a "fake platina"? Who can purchase a white gold model, can purchase a platina too.

Also, let me point out, that despite the history, for nowadays there were no reasonable argument remained to sell a platinum watch for more then it's WG counterpart.

Quote:
As to why some who are not influenced by marketing would choose white gold vs yellow/red is that they are afraid to stand out by wearing yellow/red gold which is a psychological phenomenon.
I think, it's far simplier. I like the look of the white gold more. Without any marketing advice. I simply don't like the yellow look. So what?

However, I think, this is not the right place to start discussions about psychological aspects. Have a nice yellow gold experience
Old 19 September 2023, 12:36 AM   #131
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No problem with this

But have with this: "just brainwashed people, that is all" Do you really think, that it's not insulting? Maybe my poor english is the reason, but I feel this as an offensive sentence and not a disagreement.

I think, you still don't want to see the chart's point: In a simplified way, till Breton Woods the USD was equal to gold. This meant, gold had an artifical value, which was not equal compared to the metal's real value. As you can also see, the platina was never so much more expensive, that this in itself would have been led to a need to imitate the platinum. Morover, in the age of 1910-1920, mostly during WW1 I don't think there was a huge need for such an imitation.

For this reason I don't think that the major reason was to imitate platinum, but to create a different look for the gold. That led to that today, there are several color options like rose, red and so on golds. So in my opinion the idea to create something different was simply came from a need to invent something new.

Morover, as you can see, there was never a so huge gap between these PM-s, which in itself could create a huge demand for such a gold form. And let me point out, these metals are used for only to create luxury goods for the World's top 0.1% populaton. Do you really think, that in this population, there is a real need for a "fake platina"? Who can purchase a white gold model, can purchase a platina too.

Also, let me point out, that despite the history, for nowadays there were no reasonable argument remained to sell a platinum watch for more then it's WG counterpart.

I think, it's far simplier. I like the look of the white gold more. Without any marketing advice. I simply don't like the yellow look. So what?

However, I think, this is not the right place to start discussions about psychological aspects. Have a nice yellow gold experience
Fair point on "brainwashed" being insulting.. please replace everywhere marketed to death... hopefully that is an easier form to digest..

USD was on gold standard until 1971 (not Bretton Woods which occurred in 1944) so not sure how any of that is relevant. Nixon took us off. If u look at your price chart, gold was always cheaper than platinum until 2011. Further, during WW2, you could not use platinum for jewelry purposes so white gold was it. Hopefully that is definitive proof for u of its replacement use to platinum.

Gap is also not just in price but ability to machine platinum. U see, platinum is much harder than gold and it was challenging/ expensive to manufacture using it. Gold was a cheaper substitute.

Further, platinum is perceived as much more expensive material today despite mkt price. Take look at Rolex pricing of Platona vs White Gold models (identical but for the metal used), so i don't take your point of consumer indifference between two. Platinum is perceived as much more exclusive across every brand i can think of.
Old 19 September 2023, 01:28 AM   #132
INC
2024 Pledge Member

First of all, thank you for correcting my failure about BW

Quote:
Further, during WW2, you could not use platinum for jewelry purposes so white gold was it.
It is possible, but this would only mean that an alloy that had been known for a long time was used to replace a missing metal, which in itself rules out the idea that it is due to the price difference, and also your opinion that white gold was created because of its cheaper price. So it would only mean that this temporary shortage caused the widespread distribution of WG.

Quote:
Gap is also not just in price but ability to machine platinum. U see, platinum is much harder than gold and it was challenging/ expensive to manufacture using it. Gold was a cheaper substitute.
But this difference is still not coming from the price of the metal, but the cost of the manufacturing. Despite this, I agree with you, gold is a well-known and easy to handle metal, while platinum is a really hard to use one.

Quote:
Further, platinum is perceived as much more expensive material today despite mkt price. Take look at Rolex pricing of Platona vs White Gold models (identical but for the metal used), so i don't take your point of consumer indifference between two. Platinum is perceived as much more exclusive across every brand i can think of.
Yes, but therefore I told, that today there is no reason for this. This pricing simply coming from the past, which suggests for the people, that platinum as a metal is far more expensive and valuable then gold.

However, in my opinion, the above has nothing to do with the price of the watches. Their pricing is determined by the number of units produced, usually by production costs, marketing, and mostly demand for the product. For example, a Platona is so different that it alone would cost much more than any other gold version. So, in my opinion, the price difference is not due to the price of the metal, but to the fact that there is a serious demand for these rare watches.

And if I look at it this way, the surprising thing from this point of view is that the WG versions are more expensive than the YG ones. So in this case, we get exactly the same answer: Why? And the answer would be the same, because they produce much less of them and therefore the demand for them is greater. So if we could estimate the number of pieces produced, I think we would find that the fewest number of pieces are made of the platinum ones, probably ten times more of the WG versions, and another ten times more of the YG versions. And this is simply the reason for the price difference. However, this calculation is just a thought, there are no figures for my estimate.
Old 19 September 2023, 01:28 AM   #133
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Been wearing my 126619LB mostly as my daily since getting it back in April. The hefty weight is a bonus imo and haven’t seen any evidence of scratching any worse than any of my SS references.

Forgive me for ignoring your asking if you can shower in a PM Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1841D16E-7D9A-4535-A050-4DD133AC8688.jpeg (240.9 KB, 476 views)

GMT II 126719 Meteorite + GMT II 126710BLRO + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar
+ Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

Breitling Premier B25 Datora

2FA Security Active
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2023, 05:13 AM   #134
sambb
"TRF" Member

many individuals think that a WG DD is just a rolex like any other rolex (assuming they have seen a lot of SS DJ with a fluted bezel, cyclops). i think in both cases they think that the individual is wearing an expensive wristwatch. So, in some sense, a WG rolex or any WG piece is more under the radar than YG or RG due to closer resemblance to SS, but it still is obviously a rolex so clearly it already has all of the baggage that comes with wearing an obviously expensive watch regardless of SS, WG, YG, RG. A rolex shows that you are wearing an expensive timepiece compared to all of the apple watches out there.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2023, 05:27 AM   #135
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
many individuals think that a WG DD is just a rolex like any other rolex (assuming they have seen a lot of SS DJ with a fluted bezel, cyclops). i think in both cases they think that the individual is wearing an expensive wristwatch. So, in some sense, a WG rolex or any WG piece is more under the radar than YG or RG due to closer resemblance to SS, but it still is obviously a rolex so clearly it already has all of the baggage that comes with wearing an obviously expensive watch regardless of SS, WG, YG, RG. A rolex shows that you are wearing an expensive timepiece compared to all of the apple watches out there.
True, this under the radar thing makes zero sense for any Rolex.
They can be spotted a mile away.
I just happen to like WG
Old 19 September 2023, 08:54 AM   #136
sambb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
True, this under the radar thing makes zero sense for any Rolex.
They can be spotted a mile away.
I just happen to like WG
Well said. I sometimes think it is funny when people write that YG is flashy, or a bluesy walks into a room before you do... i might conjecture that any rolex is close to instantly recognizable. So are many other luxury items.

I have no doubt that a WG timepiece could be mistaken for a SS one, but overall, a rolex is a rolex and most people know. On the other hand a patek on a leather strap might be less recognizable to an average income individual (and more expensive).

An apple watch is also instantly recognizable these days.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 05:28 AM   #137
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

LoveTheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 05:30 AM   #138
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

Old 20 November 2023, 05:50 AM   #139
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
There is a weight penalty involved. However, I don’t find that my WG watches are any less wearable than SS.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 07:22 AM   #140
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
Gold on the MOHS scale is 2.5 to 2.8. Stainless steel is 8. So stainless steel is definitely harder - not sure if that equates to less scratch-prone.
Old 20 November 2023, 08:31 AM   #141
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamathurst View Post
You can wear white gold daily. This one goes hiking and hot tubbing and everything in between. They all scratch, but so what?
frank gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 08:37 AM   #142
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I had a white gold day/date. I wore it for several years, but finally sold it. The weight finally got to me. I never bonded with that watch. Today I wear a white gold that is smaller, and less weight, plus it’s on a strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 08:53 AM   #143
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I wear my white gold pieces if don't want to attract unnecessary attention.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 08:54 AM   #144
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
OP the first thing you'll notice is the heft of the pm smurf. It's night and day difference between pm and ss sub. I think you'll love it and would highly recommend adding to your collection!
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2023, 09:54 AM   #145
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
There is a weight penalty involved. However, I don’t find that my WG watches are any less wearable than SS.

I’m the opposite. Have nice SS watches and don’t like to wear them anymore because they feel too light and flimsy

Old 4 December 2023, 03:09 AM   #146
TreatYoSelfRolexus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamathurst View Post
Modern Rolex white gold is not plated and will never wear off.
Including the bezel and crown on a SS watch?

Due to an allergy, I’m really trying to find a definitive source on what is plated and what is not.
TreatYoSelfRolexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 10:36 AM   #147
"TRF" Member

Love my white gold Smurf and DD36! They don’t seem any more scratched than my steel watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0971.jpeg (134.0 KB, 155 views)
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote