The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2020, 09:03 AM   #31
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Selling you an "SS GMT Pepsi" is like handing you a check for $5-7k. They have to pick and choose somehow.
Pretty much this.

Its like they are giving you free money when they can flip it themselves for the same amount of profit.

So you either buy something else like rings/bracelet or another watch like a DJ or Airking or whatever so they can make the same amount of money from you or they will flip it themselves.

At the end of the day the AD makes the same amount. The $$$ needs to come from somewhere. No1 is going to give you a free $5k for free.

That is why the Rolex AD distribution model is flawed. Every single AD around the world is taking advantage of the hype. I cant wait until the hype is all gone and the ADs are begging you to spend your money again.

This will not last forever and the hype is already dying down massively compared to 12-24 months ago.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 09:07 AM   #32
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
The AD owns a commercial enterprise whose goal is to maximize profit. Your ability to contribute to the fulfillment of that goal as evidenced by actual experience is in direct proportion to your "relationship".

Why should your desire for preferential treatment supersede those that are more lucrative? He was polite and honest not much more that you are entitled to unfortunately.
Well said!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 09:43 AM   #33
amanbra
"TRF" Member

It will calm down one day, Dave Khalil did a great video on this today.

Like others have said the owner of the ad would get hundreds just like you asking for one. He/she has to discriminate some how, I’d imagine they would want to sell to repeat buyers who are likely to buy more in the future. If I was an AD owner that’s what I’d do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 09:56 AM   #34
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Talking strictly SS. I started buying new Rolex again after many years, right before the shortage started. I bought from two different ADs and by conversations I just got the feeling that the smaller less traveled AD was the one to stick with. My point is if someones trying for an in at an AD I'd stay away from high end, high traffic mall boutiques. For me I made the right choice with the smaller less traveled AD and got all of the SS pieces I was after and always recieved some sort of discount including a Blnr that I was offered and never bought one piece of jewelry.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #35
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6538 View Post
Sales is sort of like....legal bribery, for lack of better illustration. If a person gives him more money in exchange for goods, whether it be over time or once in a while, that person gets higher up in the VIP clientele list. It boils down to money. Unless you are closely related by blood.
So true
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 12:09 PM   #36
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
In that case it's going to be difficult to set yourself apart from the other few hundred asking for that watch. If the watches you had them service were modern references purchased elsewhere then that says the relationship only goes in your favor and isn't reciprocal. What were they, BTW?
A SS Daytona and Explorer II 16570
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 12:10 PM   #37
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I'm looking for something to hurt myself with.
Very funny
Old 22 February 2020, 12:23 PM   #38
Bryant Park
Banned

Think of his comments as like getting a "participation trophy" at little league.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 12:44 PM   #39
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I look at it this way. If you define having a relationship with an AD by how many hard to get sports models they get you then you’re looking at it all wrong. Those come after all the other relationship building pieces are in place. Is how much you spend one of them? Of course. But it’s certainly not the only one.
Old 22 February 2020, 12:46 PM   #40
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
Good topic. Refreshing thread.

My crystal ball says the watch is not in your future at this AD.

Really want it? Just pay market price. No online reseller, and no renowned reseller gets these smoldering hot watches at retail price on a regular basis.

People keep complaining about Rolex. Try going into a Patek store and asking for a nautilus. Try going into AP asking for a 15202. It's not for you, it's for that person willing to go much further than you.

If you get it, enjoy. Good luck to you.
SLWoodster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:23 PM   #41
Therolexboyz
Banned

To get the stuff everyone wants (Daytonas, GMTs, Hulks, etc), one of two things needs to happen AND a combo of both is ideal
1) you’d better be spending some real money
2) you better “befriend” them and develop a legitimate business relationship and get them to like you. If you have to ask how to do this then it ain’t happening! This would not entail going in there whining about not getting to buy the “good stuff” and pestering them. SO many people get on here and complain about ADs and most likely its people who dont know how to relate to salespeople. There are always the greys for those that dont check these 2 boxes because make no mistake thats the only way (at least for now) that its going to happen.
Therolexboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:33 PM   #42
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Maybe he said it in a joking way ... it’s all in the delivery.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:40 PM   #43
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
It’s literally what the AD told my wife and I about the Hulk.

They chose us.
my AD has chosen me for a piece or two in my time, and i think it’s cause we genuinely get along well.
Old 22 February 2020, 01:47 PM   #44
Dan GSR
"TRF" Member

Why are you mad at the AD? if they could order 300 watches they would
Should he just sell to you first because you are annoyed?
Dan GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:01 PM   #45
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Got a SS black dial from my AD 3 weeks go. I haven’t bought much from them, but have built real relationship over time through passion for watches.

BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:08 PM   #46
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I do realize the reality of things, just wont happen from the AD.
Have also thought of going gray......”in my opinion”, the prices are outrageous.
I refuse to line the pockets of people with these crazy prices, I just wont do it.
Of course that means I won’t be getting the watch. I can live with this.
Thanks for all the comments.
Old 22 February 2020, 02:12 PM   #47
Dan GSR
"TRF" Member

there are plenty of other brands with GREAT watches that will happily take your money without playing these games
Dan GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:17 PM   #48
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
there are plenty of other brands with GREAT watches that will happily take your money without playing these games

it’s not Rolex playing games. it’s idiots who speculate on and flip watches.
Old 22 February 2020, 02:21 PM   #49
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
I do realize the reality of things, just wont happen from the AD.
Have also thought of going gray......”in my opinion”, the prices are outrageous.
I refuse to line the pockets of people with these crazy prices, I just wont do it.
Of course that means I won’t be getting the watch. I can live with this.
Thanks for all the comments.
Buy a 16750 matte, 16750 gloss, 16700, 16760 or 16710 instead. It'll match your 16570 better. Prices are about the same as a 126710BLRO at MSRP + tax unless you go for a matte dial on the 16750.

The new BLRO is an excellent watch but the older ones are just as great with a lot less stress and agony to acquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
it’s not Rolex playing games. it’s idiots who speculate on and flip watches.
Yup. Demand would be much lower if there was no flipping margin. It ruins it for the 'regular guy' who genuinely wants a watch.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:26 PM   #50
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocknation View Post
I'm starting to realize going gray market for these SS watches in high demand is the right move now until the bubble pops.

Seriously, you pay an extra $5-$7k and get the watch today OR you spend a few hundred grand to maybe get it at list from an AD. It's more complex then that but a lot of us are in that boat.

Makes no sense if you want to have the watch. The list price is what the manufacturer recommends - not what the market is trading it for.

Hmmmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:27 PM   #51
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
The AD owns a commercial enterprise whose goal is to maximize profit. Your ability to contribute to the fulfillment of that goal as evidenced by actual experience is in direct proportion to your "relationship".

Why should your desire for preferential treatment supersede those that are more lucrative? He was polite and honest not much more that you are entitled to unfortunately.

Yep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:28 PM   #52
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup. Demand would be much lower if there was no flipping margin. It ruins it for the 'regular guy' who genuinely wants a watch.
definitely.
Old 22 February 2020, 02:39 PM   #53
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
These threads keep coming up, and people need to move on and switch brands if necessary
I get that people are sick of these threads.

However, in OP's defense, also sprinkled into the threads are posts like the below, about people getting in demand watches without spending a ton of money. People who can't spend six figures on watches/jewelry are trying to find setups like that. Posts like the below give them hope they can get a SS Daytona without spending six figures.

Quote:
Not all ADs require one to spend a bunch. Mine doesn't.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:49 PM   #54
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
My AD mostly wants to know I’m wearing and using the watches he sells me. And it also doesn’t hurt to buy a dud every once in a while cause he wants to move it.

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:14 PM   #55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Think of his comments as like getting a "participation trophy" at little league.
6538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 03:18 PM   #56
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:

Relationship ≠ money.
Sorry I ed at this one.

So you seriously think the AD is in the business of making friends or something?
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 04:25 PM   #57
vicsdca
Banned

Getting a sports Rolex from an AD is a little like getting admitted into an Ivy League school these day. Most applicants will be rejected and only the lucky few will get the call.

Speaking of which --I always forgot-- should you list your Rolex watches above or below your degree on your Resume ?
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 10:33 PM   #58
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I get that people are sick of these threads.

However, in OP's defense, also sprinkled into the threads are posts like the below, about people getting in demand watches without spending a ton of money. People who can't spend six figures on watches/jewelry are trying to find setups like that. Posts like the below give them hope they can get a SS Daytona without spending six figures.
I get your point but I also later discovered that the OP spent exactly $0.00 in new watches from this AD. My initial response would have been much different had I known that earlier. And the OP is asking about a GMT, not a Daytona. Your comparison isn't the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Sorry I ed at this one.

So you seriously think the AD is in the business of making friends or something?
Same answer as above. But, my point in saying that a relationship doesn't equal money is ADs are looking for enthusiasts, not flippers. Yes they want to make money but that not the only factor. Hundreds of flippers want these watches to make money. ADs are looking for those who want to buy and keep the watches. That's the non-monetary relationship I'm talking about. Since the OP hasn't purchase any watches from this AD, the AD has no idea if the OP is yet another flipper. Having two watches serviced that were purchased elsewhere doesn't help.

Again, all of these details about the OP's situation were learned after I posted what you ed about.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 12:23 AM   #59
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
Think of it this way. My friends business buys 3 of his fellows a watch every year - all watches around 9-10kish and he's being doing that for 15 years.

Not to mention he buys his own watches through the same place.

He's spent a ton of money regardless of supply and deserves to be high on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 12:29 AM   #60
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy7 View Post
Think of it this way. My friends business buys 3 of his fellows a watch every year - all watches around 9-10kish and he's being doing that for 15 years.

Not to mention he buys his own watches through the same place.

He's spent a ton of money regardless of supply and deserves to be high on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree