The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which case size do you prefer?
Old / Smaller Case (ex. 14060M) 90 53.89%
New / Larger Case (ex. GMTIIC) 59 35.33%
I don't care 18 10.78%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 August 2009, 02:17 PM   #31
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I happen to like the old classic cases but I would still buy one of the newer watches for a change on my wrist!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 03:15 PM   #32
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Old case.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 03:38 PM   #33
Rob_b
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
After drooling over ROLEX tool watches for 10 years +, the old case lug and beautiful tapper to the bracelet are permentally burnt on my brain Maybe I'm just old and crusty, and don't like change

Rob

Travelling Through Time at The Speed of Life.
Rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 03:42 PM   #34
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
There seems to be a heavy leaning here towards the older cases.....mmmm....I absolutely love my GMTIIc (or whatecer the current nick-name is) but I have an Explorer II coming and I love the size of that case too......I have an older (80's) DD and a couple of DJ's as well....I don't like the new size DJ's and DD's at all.....I love my DJ's...really love them....they are a pefect size....the DD just feels that tiny bit chunkier but still elegant....I have absolutely no desire to have a newer DD or DJ.....so I am torn to some extent on case sizes.....maybe others are the same....
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 07:16 PM   #35
al_bongo
"TRF" Member

Seems to appeal to two different markets. Much prefer the older case. The newer one just doesn't work on any model for me.
al_bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 09:51 PM   #36
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Mark my words...when the new Supercased SS Sub comes out, I guarantee there will be a lot of people that voted for the 'original' case eating their words as they line up to buy that new sexy watch. Trust me, it's going to happen.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 10:06 PM   #37
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Tough call... I voted for new one, and I don`t know why...perhaps I`m still under impression of recent trying of GMT IIc?
Anyway, my real answer should be "I don`t care"! `Cause I don`t!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 10:20 PM   #38
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I like 'em both
(guess that makes me a "don't care")

Cheers
Old 13 August 2009, 06:04 PM   #39
al_bongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Mark my words...when the new Supercased SS Sub comes out, I guarantee there will be a lot of people that voted for the 'original' case eating their words as they line up to buy that new sexy watch. Trust me, it's going to happen.
Not really, the white gold version is already available to see in the flesh and even try on if you're so inclined. It's not that nobody's aware of how the new ss sub is going to look. You're still left with the vaguely disproportionate case.
Old 13 August 2009, 06:30 PM   #40
presario
"TRF" Member

The supercase definitely grows on you. I thought I would never warm up to it, but now I love it. New!
Old 13 August 2009, 06:43 PM   #41
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bongo View Post
Not really, the white gold version is already available to see in the flesh and even try on if you're so inclined. It's not that nobody's aware of how the new ss sub is going to look. You're still left with the vaguely disproportionate case.
WG vs. SS is no contest...the vast majority of people (myself included) will not even waste their time to 'check out' a WG Sub due to the price tag (not to mention there really aren't a lot of the WG Subs floating around anyway...so I would be surprised if a lot of people have actually checked one out in the flesh).

You've got to spend a little time with any new design to truly appreciate the 'new look' IMO. Mark my words, the new SS will be a HUGE seller and I guarantee many (not all of course, but many) people will be rethinking their feelings on the Supercase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by presario View Post
The supercase definitely grows on you. I thought I would never warm up to it, but now I love it. New!
My point exactly.
Old 13 August 2009, 09:46 PM   #42
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Would love to see some more votes, but happy to see the way this is going.

Love the old cases..

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 10:16 PM   #43
vjb.knife

Watch: Rolex Sub & GMTIIC
It depends ....

I like both. I like the case of the older Subs and SD but also of the DSSD. I like many things about the GMTIIC, but I think Rolex missed the boat by not making the bracelet 22mm with less taper to the clasp. I think if they had gone to that, most people would rave about the larger case. I believe it would have brought it into much better proportions. And the DSSD should have been even larger, but I think they don't want to make a different size clasp between it and the Submariner. Other than width and thickness I think the bracelet and clasp is vastly improved on the new models.

I also like the ceramic bezel quite a bit but that's not to say that I don't like the old ones.

On the GMT models I would never have bought one of the older ones simply because of the crown being so small. I have always owned Seadwellers and Subs and I like the look of the larger triple lock crown, so when the new GMTIIC came out with one that was a big selling point for me. So I bought one and I like it quite a lot.

I have two older design Subs including an LV and will keep them, but when the new design comes out in Stainless I will most likely get one of those as well.
vjb.knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 10:56 PM   #44
henrykubica
"TRF" Member

I think that the older cases convey opulance ,elegance,refinement and sophistication wheras the new chunky cases although impose more presence are more vulgar and souless,thats just personal opinion.I heve both ss submariner and gmtllc and haven't worn gmtllc in a long time and can't get enough of my beloved sub so much so that i even went out and bought the tt bluesy version of it two weeks ago and ablotutely love the timeless,sublime design of the watch

Last edited by henrykubica; 13 August 2009 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: mistake
henrykubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 11:15 PM   #45
acce1999
"TRF" Member

I prefer the older cases, but one good thing about the new style watches are the bracelets, that have more possibilities to be adjusted to my skinny wrists. I like that... but that was not the question.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 01:51 AM   #46
els4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wimbledon DJ
I prefer the "smaller" case. I don't really care for the blockier look of the IIc type case, and I think the larger lugs give the illusion of a narrower bracelet.
els4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 02:13 AM   #47
al_bongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
You've got to spend a little time with any new design to truly appreciate the 'new look' IMO.
Appreciate, yes. Love no. It's got to have that WOW factor that makes you want to stare at it in the jeweller's window. Draw you inside, try it on and then make you want it so much you are prepared to pay the money for it.

There is both a white and yellow gold new style sub on display in 2 different Glasgow dealerships so they are available in the UK. I haven't tried either of them on. It's not the price that would put me off trying one on - the white gold especially - if I wanted to get the feel of what one of the new SS subs would look like on the wrist.
Old 14 August 2009, 02:18 AM   #48
rolexBuddy
"TRF" Member

I think the argument that Supercase will grow on you is faulty, since once Rolex switches all their sport watches to the Supercase, you won't have a choice. If you want Rolex, and want it new - you will buy the Supercase watch. Personally, i think Supercase is a situation where Rolex is following competition, instead of doing it's own thing. We'll need to have couple of years before you could tell whether it was a good decision.
Me - I like the old case better, at least for the Submariner. Besides the looks, one thing that I look in the watch is weight. The lighter, the better - Rolex, or not. So on the Supercase they increased lug sizes, without no added functionality - dial is still same size, and now watch weights more - Yey! Bigger crown on the other hand is a good thing, but old style Sub already had a triplock. Ceramic basel and new bracelet could've been added without the oversized lugs.
rolexBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 04:54 AM   #49
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bongo View Post
It's not the price that would put me off trying one on - the white gold especially - if I wanted to get the feel of what one of the new SS subs would look like on the wrist.
I tend to not try on watches if I have absolutely no intention of buying one...that's just me. Even if I had $30K to spend on a watch, I wouldn't purchase a diving/sport watch in soft WG...just doesn't make sense to me as I'm extremely rough on my watches...ya know?

Additionally, while the cases are obviously the same dimensions, I've got to believe due to the significant increase in weight of the WG vs. SS, even if you tried on a WG Sub it wouldn't necessarily be a very good indication of how a SS version would feel. Looks - more so. But feel - probably not so much.

In the end, I guess we'll just have to wait to see the 'real McCoy'. While I'm very happy with my DS, I must admit the thought of getting another Sub (w/ a glidelock) is VERY appealing to me at this time...be it with an old or updated case. I still say without question the best new feature of any new Rolex is their updated bracelets & clasps.
Old 14 August 2009, 06:15 AM   #50
haakon59
"TRF" Member

I haven't purchased the newer GMT with the new case, so I can't say, but I am surprised that many prefer the old case. My understanding is that Rolex designed the new case specifically to be more ergonomically comfortable. I have to try out the difference for myself some time. But I have to admit I am surprised by the number of forum participants who prefer the old--maybe I should look into used? Maybe. I don't mind the ceramic bezel, but the comfort level does actually impact me, so I'll obviously need to check into this.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 07:50 AM   #51
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I like the old case. It's perfectly proportioned to the bracelet and the lugs look in keeping with the other proportions. I'm having problems warming up to the new case.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 08:56 AM   #52
Clay
Banned

I had a GMTIIC and sold it..why??? because I didn't like the new wider lugs......I think Rolex blew that call....
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 09:58 AM   #53
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
But I have to admit I am surprised by the number of forum participants who prefer the old
I'm not. During my time on this forum, I have observed a much greater aversion to any type of model change than on other forums. I have also observed people screaming murder when these new models come out, yet fast forward 12-18 months and amazingly enough the extreme criticism seems to fade away (YMII/DSSD/'Smurf' Sub to name a few).

In general, I believe the vast majority of member on TRF are 'old school' Rolex lovers (and I'm not talking age...I'm talking those that think models like the Sub/Daytona are perfect and can't be improved upon...which ironically enough I think is pretty laughable seeing as both of those models have changed significantly over the last 30-50 years!!!)...they love the classic models and usually think Rolex would be better off leaving a tried and true class like the Sub alone when it comes to major change. Heck, just do a search of anything having to do with adding a date to the Daytona and you'll understand what I'm saying (personally I think Rolex would have a home-run on their hands if they offered a Daytona-Date AND Daytona...others tend to disagree in great numbers...I don't get it as I'll never understand why offering more choice is considered a bad thing ).

Personally, I think some change (and not too often) is good and helps to keep the brand fresh. I love Omega, but feel they update their lines too often which hurts when you're trying to invent a 'modern classic' watch.

Rolex has been slow to change and to the casual observer it's next to impossible to tell a difference of many of the updates (such as the case with these new Supercases, Maxi-dials, better clasps)...yet when you get a bunch of WIS together that don't necessarily like any alterations to a classic, you would think Rolex invented a completely new and different watch that looks nothing like the model it replaced.