The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2019, 09:28 PM   #61
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Congrats on the pickup, glad you are happy with it. I had the 16710 prior to getting my SD43.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 09:38 PM   #62
Jakey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexg1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase a SD43 from my AD today. Was wondering everyone's opinion on the value retention of this watch? Would it still retain its value after it's worn (a.k.a. would I be losing money if I buy this watch for retail and wear it)?

Right now I'm 80% sure on buying it. Just needed some convincing to pull the trigger
If you need convincing then you have your answer
Old 27 March 2019, 10:12 PM   #63
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Opportunity to buy SD43

No PCLs on SS, wait for TT!

Just kidding of course!
Roleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 10:22 PM   #64
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by hon View Post
is people keep buying because of the shortage? don't want miss the opportunity?
before this SS shortage and craze most people don't want them, we can always see them in AD and can get a SD anytime from AD even with some discount.
due to the big watch trend Rolex themselves even 'mess up' the SD by killing/discontinue it with the DS then relaunch with SD4K and later the SD43.
to me the whole SD/DS line simply screwed by rolex in recent years.
The opossite, first time than a SD is a hot seller. One of the most habdsome diver Rolex ever made the SD43, and the TT is beautiful too!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 11:55 PM   #65
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Glad the OP picked up his SD43. I have no idea what the watch value will be on that model, but I really love the watch. Makes me happy every time I wear it. That really is the most important detail when buying.
Old 28 March 2019, 12:03 AM   #66
JohnTz
"TRF" Member

Who cares what the value will be. Everyday you wear it and it serves you and makes you happy the cost is justified even if its worth nothing in ten years you got great use of it for that time.

Enjoy and wear the watch in good health.
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 12:17 AM   #67
superconductor71
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
I simply love this watch. A fine pick up, indeed.
superconductor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 12:19 AM   #68
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I think there are nuances to this. One could be mindful of value retention if they treat this like a reasonably valuable asset (e.g. an investment property, etc) and not want to lose a ton of money should they decide to sell down the road. In other words, spend as little as you can to keep that delta small.

That’s different than just wanting to buy something you think you can flip (speculating). Not necessarily anything wrong with that (unless you are me trying to trade crypto!).

If you’re just buying this as a piece of jewelry to wear, then you should be prepared to take a small hit. As others have stated, if you can’t yake that hit then you’re in the wrong price range. I’ve mellowed a lot in my old age and am not nearly as concerned. I wear my AP Diver to the grocery store and anywhere else as I know Unless I run it over with a car I still have value in it, and am not worried that a small scratch is going to drop $100 off the price.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 01:09 AM   #69
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I've tried this watch on recently because they are showing up at ADs.
I find it too big, heavy and thick for my liking. What it might be worth means nothing in my decision. I don't think I would want to wear it. Good luck.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 02:54 AM   #70
np208
"TRF" Member

Surprising to me how many people fret about a couple thousand dollar move in the value of a watch when (I assume) their investment accounts move multiples of that every day.

just buy the watch you want
np208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 02:58 AM   #71
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
It will double its value the moment you buy it, so please go ahead
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 04:21 AM   #72
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Please don't buy a watch you are not sure you want. Leave it for someone who really wants it.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 04:24 AM   #73
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post
I've tried this watch on recently because they are showing up at ADs.
I find it too big, heavy and thick for my liking. What it might be worth means nothing in my decision. I don't think I would want to wear it. Good luck.
Thanks for your honest post. I have the impression that some people spend weeks and months trying to convince themselves that this watch is not too big, heavy and thick to wear comfortably. I would not wear that watch either, perhaps if I had 8 inch+ wrists and worked as a saturation diver.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 06:07 AM   #74
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post
Who cares what the value will be. Everyday you wear it and it serves you and makes you happy the cost is justified even if its worth nothing in ten years you got great use of it for that time.

Enjoy and wear the watch in good health.
Well said!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 07:11 AM   #75
rexg1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexg1 View Post
Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions. To clarify, the value of the watch is an important factor for me, but it is not the most important factor. It is important to remember and keep it real: these watches cost 5 figure. Some people can easily drop 5 figures on a watch and take a hit on the value of the watches just like it's nothing. Unfortunately, I am not in the position to do that.

And to those saying "if you are asking this question, you probably cannot afford it." Don't forget that this is not my only watch. I own other watches such as the Patek 5164R, AP 15400, Rolex 116655, 116610LV and many others :)

With that being said, I went inside and tried it on and instantly fell in love with the big case of the SD 43 and how solid it feels. Paid retail for it and couldn't be happier. Special thanks to my AD for this purchase. Called in on Sunday wanting this watch and got it 3 days later :D

Bonus: Pictures of the newly purchased SD43 126600 alongside my Pepsi GMT 16710

So update to everyone who has been wondering about this latest acquisition. I’ve been wearing this watch everyday for the past three weeks. Love the heft and the red text on the dial. Some people were concerned that the watch might sit too big at 43, but in all honesty it fits perfectly in my wrist. I removed the diver link and this I have a feeling that the SD43 has a permanent spot in my collection.

With that being said, I have a few incomings that is currently sitting in the safe while this one gets some wrist time.

Bonus pictures
rexg1 is offline   Reply With Quote